PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for steroids?

zed
08-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Hi Guys,
I have been training hard for the past 2 years and things just seem to be getting worse all the time.
Instead of getting bigger, I am actually losing size!
I have tried everything without success. The so called experts were not able to help either (I dont think they really give a shit anyway, I am just another customer for them to try their 'pre-formulated' programs on)

I am so frustrated and depressed now. I hope someone can help me. My opinion is that I need to use steroids to get me out of this mess........any suggestions??

Thanks,
Zed

Shmoo
08-11-2002, 09:38 AM
I have never done steroids but before you think about trying them you should post your diet and workout and see if we can help you in those areas. Before anyone tries steroids they should have their diet in workout in order.

Fade
08-11-2002, 09:44 AM
I agree with Shmoo.

Post your workout and diet.

Martin Smolinsk
08-11-2002, 01:17 PM
zed, you dont need to use steroids, you NEED TO USE YOUR BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin

Mudge
08-11-2002, 01:49 PM
If your hitting a sticking point now, when you come off the steroids, minus what you lose, you'll be stuck all over again.

Your diet or your routine is off, unless your arms are 21" all natural already or something.

crackerjack414
08-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Alot of people are going to disagrea on this one. But I feel you shouldnt even consider steriods until you have atleast 4 good years of training under your belt. Get your diet in order straight first. Then get your program together. How old are you? are you a hard gainer? If you deciede to try the juice any way do an extreme amount of research before taking anything. Dont just listen to some one else recomending a stack to you. Do the research find out what works and then post your plan before you start.

kuso
08-11-2002, 07:37 PM
I agree with the others here ( other than Martin :shrug: ).

I`d put money on it that there is something wrong with your diet, or possibly training.......post them both, listen to the advice, and you`ll get over that sticking point.

Mudge
08-11-2002, 08:06 PM
If your lacking in diet, steroids wont do much, to get the most out of almost all steroids you must eat approximately 3 times more than the average person, of all good food.

If its training, once again you'll just hit that sticking point again.

Like Crackerjack said, once you have that experience under your belt, that is when it can be better justified.

zed
08-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks Guys,
I also think the problem may be diet but I just dont have an appetite which leads me to believe there may be something physically wrong (arent you supposed to get hungry when you do exersize??).

I am 33 years old, definitely a hard gainer, and I have quite a large store of fat around my waist line which I cannot get rid off.

My dimensions are so bad I feel embarrased to mention them. After 2 years of training I would have expected a lot more (I am even ashamed to take my top off).

Anyway here is my training program :
Monday - Lats & Triceps + 20 minute jog
Tuesday - Shoulders & Forearms + 20 minute jog
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Chest & Biceps + 20 minute jog
Friday - Legs

In all exercises I aim for 12 - 16 sets per body part.

My Diet is as follows:
Morning - Bowl of cerial with skim milk
Mid morning handfull of fruit and nuts
Lunch - SUBWAY chicken fillet
Snack1 - Low fat yogurt
Snack2 - Protein shake
Dinner - Home cooked turkish food (mainly chicken based) 1 - 2 small bowls

Supper - Small bowl of cerial.

NOTE : All food throughout the day is forced.....i.e I never feel hungry.

My Sleep patterns are all over the place as well, cant get enough sleep.

Perhaps my anxiety and depression are a cause of this, but as I lose size I continue to get more depressed and am almost at the point where I dont want to go outside any more.

BTW I forgot to mention, I have tried to eat more (force down more) but the only thing that happens is that my waist size increases and thats all!

Thanks,
Zed

Mifody
08-11-2002, 10:51 PM
u should get some meds or something for that anxiety/depression and or therapy. i use paxil and it makes a world of difference for anxiety.. as for depression so so

Mudge
08-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Your routine doesn't tell us much, but you would gain weight easier if you cut the jogging or did it at a different time of day, i.e. first thing in the morning or on off days.

Your diet looks like an ok diet for a 12 year old boy or something, if you want to gain muscle thats not going to cut it, and you see the results first hand. Steroids would not help you, as I mentioned for them to work best you have to be willing to eat much more than normally. You will also notice if you counted your calories that your injesting sugar and carbs during the day, thats a weight gainer but according to you not the right kind of gain, sugar like yogurt and carbs like your breads are more likely going to make you fat which seems to be whats happening.

You also need to get some sleep, I have forced myself to go to bed at almost the same time every night, because I too have dealt with sleep problems my whole life. Lack of sleep + anxiety/depression is a catabolic environment, the body will want to do just about anything but build muscle.

Have you ever tried St Johns Wort and/or Gingko Biloba? There are various reasons anxiety/depression hit people, could be diet, lack of oxygen to the brain, or etc. If you haven't tried these they should be readily available in your country, try them both and use them religiously as supplementation for a month and see if it helps, works for me.

You need to be willing to eat like a bodybuilder to be one, or else the body will not do what you want it to do. Maybe GoPro can comment on how to help, there is a vitamin some people take to increase appetite I believe its one of the B vitamins. Or just force yourself to eat more until the body gets used to it. Some people with fast metabolisms end up having to eat 8,000 calories per day to maintain thier large bodyweights.

Fade
08-12-2002, 07:37 AM
Your sleeping and eating habits are killing your gains.

I agree with Mifody. First things first. Get some meds for the depression. Being a little depressed is one thing but for it be bad enough to effect your sleeping and eating is another. Get on something...I take zoloft.

After you get that under control the sleeping and eating should follow. Also kill the 20 min jogs. One 20 min job a week will be ok. As a hardgainer it might hinder you.

Try cutting back the sets too. 10 for large muscles (chest back quads), 5-6 for small muscles (biceps triceps), 7-8 for med muscles (hams delts).

Also, the roids could cause more emotional problems because with your depression.

Mudge
08-12-2002, 07:37 AM
http://www.bodymusclejournal.com/vol02/holy_grail.html
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4845
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5121

Give those threads a look sometime, if your like me you NEED to cut down the carbs, I just gain weight too fast with regular people carbs in my diet, gain weight too fast = goes straight to fat stores.

crackerjack414
08-12-2002, 08:14 AM
I disagrea with the taking meds for the depression so soon. We all go through times of depression. As for the sleep thing iam a mild insomniac too. Whats realy helped me was gaba. I know how it is to never be hungry. You just have to force your self to eat. After a while you wont feel so full. I have heard peppermint helps stimulate appetite but iam not convinced. You should aim to get atleast 30g of protein a meal. Since you are a hardgainer I would recomend a serving of protein atleast 30g permeal with atleast 30-60g of good complex carbs and 10-20g of good fat ie monosat or anything rich in omega 3s. All of these number are relative you can adjust them to suit you. I would also drop the running to maybe once a week. Try varying your program go to these boards and grab a routine try it for a few weeks and then try something else. It is a good idea to vary your program.

kuso
08-12-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Fade99

Try cutting back the sets too. 10 for large muscles (chest back quads), 5-6 for small muscles (biceps triceps), 7-8 for med muscles (hams delts).

Also, the roids could cause more emotional problems because with your depression.

Couldn`t agree more!! I have no idea about the depression, but the training seems a bit much for me, depending on your split I would even say a little less than Fade mentioned for some of the muscle groups.

I can`t see very much in the way of protein in your diet either....not near enough for a hard gainer to grow.

How tall are you and what do you weigh?

Mudge
08-12-2002, 09:34 AM
30g protein per meal would be suitable for a very small person I'd say, I take in 65-80g per meal 5 times a day, as long as I am around 340g then I am happy.

Using 1g per pound daily I hit a wall, could not gain meat on the frame.

Muscles are made up of protein, hence you need to consume protein to make it, carbs and sugar isn't going to build the muscles!

LAM
08-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by zed
I have been training hard for the past 2 years and things just seem to be getting worse all the time. Instead of getting bigger, I am actually losing size!
I have tried everything without success.

what is everthing ? steroids are definetly not the answer. If you can not make gains w/o them then you surely would not be able to maintain or even keep the gains once you went off of them.

you diet defintely needs work. do you count calories ?

Martin Smolinsk
08-12-2002, 12:02 PM
That s just what I thought........

Pitboss
08-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Some how you lost me.... you have weight around your gut. You eat too much and it goes to your gut but then you say you are a hard gainer???? Sounds like you're diet is Fosters and one too many Subs a day!!

zed
08-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
I know I dont eat enough, but when I try to, I get fat. Most times I have no appetite at all.
I dont count calories because I have no idea what I should aim for. I also lack the knowledge on what types of food I should eat to gain muscle and not fat!
People are always saying, eat 1g of protein for each gram of body weight, but what specific foods and what quantities would achieve this.

BTW, I am 176cm tall (I think thats about 5ft 10in) and I weigh 86Kg

Thanks,
Zed

Mudge
08-12-2002, 09:32 PM
You need to count calories, and you need to eat the right kinds of foods - thats why the fat is attacking you (I have a similar problem, 15.4% bodyfat!).

Check out the three threads I posted, they should get you started on diet tips!

For the moment, I eat mostly beef (lean) and eggs (take out some yolks, lots of fat in there, again must count calories to balance your diet - no balance means fat gain and/or muscle loss).

You see its not all easy, this is why so many people reach a stopping point and get frustrated, were all tricking the body to do things that it wouldn't naturally do (pile on pounds of excess muscle). It takes diet as well as training...