• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

For Nikegurl!

Leslie

DOWNSIZING
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
:D

Labeling confusion: Current labeling laws allow the fat content of ground beef to be displayed as percentage fat by total weight which can be considerably less than the percentage of total calories from fat. For example, a pan-cooked patty made from 90%-lean (10% fat by weight) raw ground beef actually derives about 47% of its calories from fat. Likewise, 70% lean (30% fat) ground beef yields a cooked patty with 62% of its calories from fat.

So how can "lean" ground beef have so much fat? The fat-by-weight labeling method can greatly underestimate actual calories from fat for two reasons: 1) Ground beef is 55% water. If water weight were excluded, the percentage fat by weight would more than double; 2) A gram of fat contains 9 calories of energy, compared to just 4 calories for protein and carbohydrate. That means that each extra fat gram increases a food's proportion of fat calories more than you might think. For the same reasons, whole milk (3.3% fat and 88% water by weight) derives 48% of its calories from fat. Even 93% lean/7% fat ground turkey contains about 45% fat calories.

Crumbles are the keys: Now here's the good news. For recipes requiring crumbled ground beef, such as chili, Sloppy Joes, meat sauce, or tacos, you can buy the much cheaper 70-75% lean ground beef which normally produces high-fat, pan-cooked patties with 60-62% fat calories. But, by crumbling, browning, draining, blotting, and rinsing with hot water, you can reduce the percentage fat calories down to about 38-40% which is considerably lower than pan-cooked patties (47% fat calories) made from 90%-lean. While this method does little to reduce cholesterol, it doesn't cause any significant loss of beneficial nutrients such as protein, iron, zinc, and vitamin B12.

How to slim down high-fat ground beef: 1) Brown ground beef in a skillet for 8-10 minutes (or until no longer pink) over medium heat, breaking into small pieces with a spatula or large spoon; 2) Meanwhile, heat 4 cups water on stove or in microwave until very hot but not boiling (about 1600F); 3) Drain fat from skillet; 4) Remove crumbles with slotted spoon to a large plate lined with 3 layers of white, non-recycled paper towels. Let sit for 1 minute, and then blot top of beef with more paper towels; 5) Place beef in a strainer or colander, and set over a sturdy bowl. Now pour the hot water over the beef crumbles to rinse away more fat. Drain for 5 minutes, and proceed to your recipe. (Courtesy of the National Cattlemen's Beef Assoc at www.beef.org.)

Note that the hot-water rinse and drain method accounts for over half the total fat reduction. Onion and garlic can be included during the browning process, while other seasonings and herbs can be added after rinsing the crumbles.

:yawn: LOL OK
BOTTOMLINE:
"Even 93% lean/7% fat ground turkey contains about 45% fat calories."
So the 93% lean meat is not 7% fat, it contains 45% fat cals. Lets do the math.....

We said 156 calories right? 45% of 156 calories is 70.2 calories from fat, divided by 9 cals for each gram= 8.775 grams FAT

I hope this helps CONVINCE you its 8grams of FAT.:)

Thanks Leslie! I wish they had to just put the nutritional info on the package. They do with most foods - but not ground beef (at least here they don't)

I got the 156 calories from your nutrition info. Does your ground beef come with the calorie/nutrient breakdown on it?

Again thanks so much for taking the time to post this! You rock!

Hmm, I eat alot of beef, wonder how honest my label is.

Thanks for posting that Leslie...my packages never have anything written on them either.

Originally posted by nikegurl
Thanks Leslie! I wish they had to just put the nutritional info on the package. They do with most foods - but not ground beef (at least here they don't)

I got the 156 calories from your nutrition info. Does your ground beef come with the calorie/nutrient breakdown on it?

Again thanks so much for taking the time to post this! You rock!

150 cals is what is on my label, I guess they rounded it. And yes, the nutritional breakdown is on it too!:D

Mudge- I agree with you. Its a question I too ask myself- how do you know if there is really only a certain % of fat in the beef? But I guess that goes for anything and everything we eat. It has to be regulated somehow!:D

W8- no prob! Glad "I" could help for once! LOL

You really don't know how much fat is in ground beef. Like it was mentioned above, %fat is given by weight, not calories to make it seem leaner. Its also just an estimation b/c different %'s use different cuts of meat, which just estimate how much fat is in it based on where its taken from. You can't get as accurate a measure from ground beef compared to just buying steak since you can see/cut off visible fat. I personally like buying top round/eye round and put it in my meat grinder, even the leanest ground beef is nowhere near as lean as grinding a lean steak yourself.

Sounds good, but unfortunately I barely have the time to cook all my meals, nevermind GRIND my own meat! LOL But I suppose that is best.:D

So getting ground sirloin is better than 96% Lean Ground Beef?

Oh hell yeah...tastes so much better, and is very lean...you do pay for it though!

IML Gear Cream!
I've got sirloin right now, claim on the label is 22g protein 17g fat, the beef I used to have was 20g fat 22g protein.

Just when you start to think there is no more lying about labeling!

I can get ground sirloin if its better for me. I wonder what the fat count is on that now.

Originally posted by mochy
I can get ground sirloin if its better for me. I wonder what the fat count is on that now.
:scratch: ME TOO!

Mine was ground sirloin and it said 23 grams protein and 8 grams of fat in 4 oz.

I wonder if when they say 8 grams of fat that's without draining off the little bit of fat you get when you cook it?

Back