• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

One hour daily...

Curt James

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Okay, I suppose it's a no-brainer for men and women, but this article was in today's (Wednesday, March 24, 2010) paper:

WOMEN'S HEALTH

To avoid weight gain, exercise 1 hour daily

CHICAGO - Rev up the treadmill. Sobering new research spells out how much exercise women need to keep the flab off as they age--and it's a lot.

At least an hour of moderate activity a day is needed for middle-aged women at a healthy weight who aren't dieting. For those overweight--and that's most American women--even more exercise is called for to avoid gaining weight without eating less, the study results suggest.

Brisk walking, leisurely bicycling and golf are examples of moderate exercise. But don't throw in the towel if you can't do those things for at least an hour a day. Even a little exercise is good for your health, even if it won't make you thin, the researchers said.

The study appears in today's Journal of the American Medical Association.

Okay, I suppose it's a no-brainer for men and women, but this article was in today's (Wednesday, March 24, 2010) paper:

WOMEN'S HEALTH

CHICAGO - Rev up the treadmill. Sobering new research spells out how much exercise women need to keep the flab off as they age--and it's a lot.

At least an hour of moderate activity a day is needed for middle-aged women at a healthy weight who aren't dieting. For those overweight--and that's most American women--even more exercise is called for to avoid gaining weight without eating less, the study results suggest.

Brisk walking, leisurely bicycling and golf are examples of moderate exercise. But don't throw in the towel if you can't do those things for at least an hour a day. Even a little exercise is good for your health, even if it won't make you thin, the researchers said.

My boy curt is looking out for his women. Preparing for those late drunk nights when anything looks good. he thinks if he can get you all in shape he wont regret the nights so bad.

Its amazing what a little "get of ur ass" time will do!

I can tell you, tho, as a now mid-40s person. 1 hr of cardio + my usual training & clean eating will maintain, but it takes 2 hrs/day to show prep. At least for my middle-aged ass.

Its amazing what a little "get of ur ass" time will do!

I can tell you, tho, as a now mid-40s person. 1 hr of cardio + my usual training & clean eating will maintain, but it takes 2 hrs/day to show prep. At least for my middle-aged ass.

Welcome back! :clap:

Care to share what shows your planning on doing this year?

My boy curt is looking out for his women. Preparing for those late drunk nights when anything looks good. he thinks if he can get you all in shape he wont regret the nights so bad.

Marine, sorry to disappoint you :D but I haven't had a drop of alcohol all year. Probably one reason I don't have many regrets right now.

Welcome back! :clap:

Care to share what shows your planning on doing this year?

Marine, sorry to disappoint you :D but I haven't had a drop of alcohol all year. Probably one reason I don't have many regrets right now.

I've got a new coach and I'm at 20 weeks out from my target. I have to requalify this year so I'm looking at any of 3 regional CA shows to start with.

More than that, I'll have to let you know in a couple months. :)

WOMEN'S HEALTH

I have a number of problems with this article. For one, it's speculative rather than substantive. For another, there's little attention paid to the type or intensity of activity - something that can make a profound difference not only from the perspective of calorie-burning, but also metabolic effect, bone density, muscle maintenance, hormone status and ... wait for it... APPETITE!

Effects of exercise intensity on food intake and appetite in women.
Pomerleau M, Imbeault P, Parker T, Doucet E.

School of Human Kinetics, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

BACKGROUND: Increasing exercise intensity has been shown to reduce energy intake in men. OBJECTIVE: The main objective of this study was to investigate the effects of exercise intensity on energy intake in women. DESIGN: Thirteen moderately active (peak oxygen uptake: 44.0 +/- 4.7 mL . kg(-1) . min(-1)) women [body mass index (in kg/m(2)): 22.2 +/- 2.4; age: 22.2 +/- 2.0 y] were subjected to 3 experimental conditions: control with no exercise and 2 equicaloric (350 kcal) low- (LIE) and high- (HIE) intensity exercise sessions at 40% and 70% of peak oxygen uptake, respectively. After each session, the participants ate ad libitum from buffet-type meals at lunch and dinner and ate snacks during the afternoon and evening. Visual analogue scales were used to rate appetite. RESULTS: More energy was ingested at lunchtime after the HIE session than after the control session (878 +/- 309 and 751 +/- 230 kcal, respectively; P = 0.02). Relative energy intake (postexercise energy intake corrected for the energy cost of exercise above the resting level) at lunch was lower after the LIE session than after the control session (530 +/- 233 and 751 +/- 230 kcal, respectively; P < 0.001) and was lower after the HIE session than after the control session (565 +/- 301 and 751 +/- 230 kcal, respectively; P < 0.01). Similarly, daily energy intake tended to increase during the HIE session relative to that during the control session. No treatment effect was found for appetite scores throughout the experiment. CONCLUSION: The results suggest that HIE increases energy intake in women.

Compound this with the fact that moderate-intensity cardio can, particularly when done to the exclusion of other modalities, create a body which is increasingly efficient (not good). And if you're a woman using something like jogging to try to lose weight, but instead gain due to the increased appetite, you're likely to get fatter legs as your body learns to store fat near the muscles which will be using this fuel substrate for the oxidative activity they are repeatedly being asked to perform.

Now, this isn't to say I disagree with the notion of daily exercise. But the study does not look at important main effects so much as correlations. For example, a high carb diet in an insulin resistant individual can increase hunger - particularly in women, particularly for pear-shaped women. But movement translocates GLUT-4 to the surface of the muscle, mediating non-insulin dependent glucose disposal. This is AWESOME - it means you may be able to feel less hungry because you are preferentially insulin sensitive when you move. So, eat your meal, go for a walk - or clean the bathroom, or do some yard work, or do any type of modest activity. For those who don't weigh their food, decreased appetite is an important determinant of bodyweight. For those of us who DO weigh our food, the increased comfort while dieting is indeed welcome.

But to suggest an hour a day is necessary for women... without this background... I find this irresponsible.

Once again, research that didn't ask the right questions.

I have a number of problems with this article. For one, it's speculative rather than substantive. For another, there's little attention paid to the type or intensity of activity - something that can make a profound difference not only from the perspective of calorie-burning, but also metabolic effect, bone density, muscle maintenance, hormone status and ... wait for it... APPETITE!

Effects of exercise intensity on food intake and appetite in women.
Pomerleau M, Imbeault P, Parker T, Doucet E.

School of Human Kinetics, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

BACKGROUND: Increasing exercise intensity has been shown to reduce energy intake in men. OBJECTIVE: The main objective of this study was to investigate the effects of exercise intensity on energy intake in women. DESIGN: Thirteen moderately active (peak oxygen uptake: 44.0 +/- 4.7 mL . kg(-1) . min(-1)) women [body mass index (in kg/m(2)): 22.2 +/- 2.4; age: 22.2 +/- 2.0 y] were subjected to 3 experimental conditions: control with no exercise and 2 equicaloric (350 kcal) low- (LIE) and high- (HIE) intensity exercise sessions at 40% and 70% of peak oxygen uptake, respectively. After each session, the participants ate ad libitum from buffet-type meals at lunch and dinner and ate snacks during the afternoon and evening. Visual analogue scales were used to rate appetite. RESULTS: More energy was ingested at lunchtime after the HIE session than after the control session (878 +/- 309 and 751 +/- 230 kcal, respectively; P = 0.02). Relative energy intake (postexercise energy intake corrected for the energy cost of exercise above the resting level) at lunch was lower after the LIE session than after the control session (530 +/- 233 and 751 +/- 230 kcal, respectively; P < 0.001) and was lower after the HIE session than after the control session (565 +/- 301 and 751 +/- 230 kcal, respectively; P < 0.01). Similarly, daily energy intake tended to increase during the HIE session relative to that during the control session. No treatment effect was found for appetite scores throughout the experiment. CONCLUSION: The results suggest that HIE increases energy intake in women.

Compound this with the fact that moderate-intensity cardio can, particularly when done to the exclusion of other modalities, create a body which is increasingly efficient (not good). And if you're a woman using something like jogging to try to lose weight, but instead gain due to the increased appetite, you're likely to get fatter legs as your body learns to store fat near the muscles which will be using this fuel substrate for the oxidative activity they are repeatedly being asked to perform.

Now, this isn't to say I disagree with the notion of daily exercise. But the study does not look at important main effects so much as correlations. For example, a high carb diet in an insulin resistant individual can increase hunger - particularly in women, particularly for pear-shaped women. But movement translocates GLUT-4 to the surface of the muscle, mediating non-insulin dependent glucose disposal. This is AWESOME - it means you may be able to feel less hungry because you are preferentially insulin sensitive when you move. So, eat your meal, go for a walk - or clean the bathroom, or do some yard work, or do any type of modest activity. For those who don't weigh their food, decreased appetite is an important determinant of bodyweight. For those of us who DO weigh our food, the increased comfort while dieting is indeed welcome.

But to suggest an hour a day is necessary for women... without this background... I find this irresponsible.

Once again, research that didn't ask the right questions.

The sad part is that most women have no awareness of anything about nutrition or exercise - so just telling them that they should get off their duff and do something every day, and that it gets harder as you get older, is about all most of them can handle.

Sure, but I did that. I did it for twenty years in fact. I ran ten km three times a week for almost ten years - and steadily gained weight due to the increased appetite. It took me until I was 170 lbs and 40% bodyfat until I stopped this nonsense.

I actually would have been better off had I never tried to exercise off the weight.

Sure, but I did that. I did it for twenty years in fact. I ran ten km three times a week for almost ten years - and steadily gained weight due to the increased appetite. It took me until I was 170 lbs and 40% bodyfat until I stopped this nonsense.

I actually would have been better off had I never tried to exercise off the weight.

Something doesn't sound right about that...

But either way - the point is that it takes a while to find the protocol that works for your body chemistry, your goals and your energy demands. My very specific needs are to be able to dial in for a show. I've been able to cut down 7-8% on carb cycling, keto and altering my macros, on interval cardio & and long, steady state cardio. But never have I dialed in correctly. I don't think keto worked quite right for me, so I'm giving it a different approach this year.

IML Gear Cream!
Something doesn't sound right about that...

But either way - the point is that it takes a while to find the protocol that works for your body chemistry, your goals and your energy demands. My very specific needs are to be able to dial in for a show. I've been able to cut down 7-8% on carb cycling, keto and altering my macros, on interval cardio & and long, steady state cardio. But never have I dialed in correctly. I don't think keto worked quite right for me, so I'm giving it a different approach this year.

All I needed was a way to take in fewer calories and not mind. Low fat and cardio sure as shit wasn't it for me - and because I refuse to feel super hungry all the time, there was no possible way for that protocol to work.

However, had I felt better about staying hungry, it would have worked a charm.

All I needed was a way to take in fewer calories and not mind. Low fat and cardio sure as shit wasn't it for me - and because I refuse to feel super hungry all the time, there was no possible way for that protocol to work.

However, had I felt better about staying hungry, it would have worked a charm.

I actually had a very easy time w/ the diet - but for my goals, I'm just not sure it did what I needed. Its very tricky dialing in w/ fats.

Well, you don't do peak-week the same as you did during your cut. Is that the part you mean?

The women's section is off to a great start. Good discussion in this thread. :clapping:

Built's been exercising her gray matter, for which many of us are grateful and eternally in her debt. Nice read.

Totally dude. I should say dudette. I do more, I eat more. Trying to make the "more" protein now though.

Well, you don't do peak-week the same as you did during your cut. Is that the part you mean?

Obviously you don't do the same for water manipulation as you do for the several weeks coming in, but by the same token you now can't use carb depletion as part of the water manipulation. Further I'm sensitive to both carb load and a fat load so I really need to have a tight,tried & true plan to get either of them to work. In fact its been suggested that I might respond better to a protein load w/ low fat & low carb. I've never heard of that as a peak week protocol, but just looking at how I respond to the other two macros, its an interesting thought.

Obviously you don't do the same for water manipulation as you do for the several weeks coming in, but by the same token you now can't use carb depletion as part of the water manipulation. Further I'm sensitive to both carb load and a fat load so I really need to have a tight,tried & true plan to get either of them to work. In fact its been suggested that I might respond better to a protein load w/ low fat & low carb. I've never heard of that as a peak week protocol, but just looking at how I respond to the other two macros, its an interesting thought.

Considering that protein isn't going to contribute to glycogen except through gluconeogenesis, it seems??? um, indirect.

The keto plans I've used have allways included carbloads - and you'll still have glycogen to deplete, even on a keto diet. I'm not sure how all you've prepped before so I'll reserve further comment. As I said, you've actually competed. Me, not so much. :)

Getting back to the discussion, I have the full study:
In conclusion, in this large prospective study of women consuming a usual diet, sustained moderate-intensity physical activity for approximately 60 minutes per day was needed to maintain normal weight and prevent weight gain. These data suggest that the 2008 federal recommendation for 150 minutes per week, while clearly sufficient to lower the risks of chronic diseases, is insufficient for weight gain prevention absent caloric restriction. Physical activity was inversely related to weight gain only among normal weight women; among heavier women, there was no relation, emphasizing the importance of controlling caloric intake for weight maintenance in this group.

The conclusion that 60 minutes a day is needed to maintain normal weight is unsupported by this study. The only supportable conclusion is that there is an association between being of normal weight and of performing 7.5 METs of exercise per week.

For overweight women, there is no association between physical activity and weight gain.

These two points are very, very critical for proper interpretation of this article.

Back