PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for new sticky in Training section

Phineas
04-20-2010, 10:32 AM
In my time on this board I've noticed that more than anything else we have new lifters on here either asking about or further pushing on to others bodybuilding/fitness myths.

Rather than providing quality, specialized training/exercise advice, so many of our comments are simply shooting down false mainstream notions -- often to the point of ridiculing new members.

For example, how many times have our members attacked newbies for asking about the whole "inner/upper, etc chest"? Spot reduction....high reps to tone...direct ab work....weight lifting making you "bulky", etc.

While there are some cases where I think flaming is necessary to help put egotistical members in check (e.g. "I can bench this much..is that good?") I think a lot of us have lost sight of the fact that we were all once in that spot. When I started I used chinups as a bicep isolation movement, and I used pec dec to tone my inner chest. Come on...nobody's perfect! We need to be supportive and not turn these newcomes off. They're just trying to learn.

We have the newbies homework sticky that's intended to fill them in on the basics before they post questions so we don't have to hastle them with those minute details. So, why not create a sticky to debunk all these reoccurring issues with muscle-building myths?

I just think this could potentially save not only a lot of memory space on our server but much of our members' time. Then, we can get to what matters, rather than just riteously flaming 18 year old guys asking how to tone their lower abs.

Thoughts?

Gazhole
05-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Its a good idea - assuming people will read it, lol. Half the stuff people ask about is in the stickied threads, but they aren't read by everybody.

It's definitely something to think about. We could use this thread to start throwing ideas around? Make it a collaborative effort!

FMJ
05-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Its a good idea - assuming people will read it, lol. Half the stuff people ask about is in the stickied threads, but they aren't read by everybody.

It's definitely something to think about. We could use this thread to start throwing ideas around? Make it a collaborative effort!

I agree with Gaz. Not allot of people read the stickies. I sometimes think newbies would rather have someone tell them the answers than look for the answers themselves. Or perhaps they just don't like the answers they're finding in the stickies and wanna hear something different.
I can't tell you how many times I've directed people to the stickies in training and diet forums.
Evenso, I think it's a good idea too Phin. How about a sticky devoted to the importance of squats and deads? There's a million training routines posted for opinions and so many times there's no leg work included.

SilentBob187
05-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I sometimes think newbies would rather have someone tell them the answers than look for the answers themselves.

^ This. You can lead a horse to water...

But I do think it would be good to have a consolidated thread that touches on those points listed. And maybe to tell folks they get infractions for saying things like 'lean up' and 'toned.' :ohyeah:

Ok, maybe not that second part, but I do hear it way to much on forums and at work. Why can't they just say jerked and tan like normal folk? :daydream:

ceazur
05-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Just read through my past post, highlight them, post on a thread, and sticky it. It's known I am the smartest on these forums.

Or at least I should be from all the damned questions I have asked ,and received great replies from this magnificent group of fellas. :nerd: