• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Calf raises

Josh

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
When I do calf raises (only 2 version I do, standing on a Smith machine, and standing 1-leg with a db), at the beginning of the first set I can feel the calves fully contracted, but as the reps continue I usually begin to feel the pressure moves from calves to my ankles. It's like my ankles are getting tired and unable to fully raise my body so that my calves do not have the chance to contract anymore. So it is with the subsequent sets.

I wonder, is this normal? I think I should be able to fully contract my calves on all reps and all sets, is this correct? If so, what should I do to achieve this? Should I decrease the weight, or just use heavier but reduce the reps?

- Josh

Yeah, you can handle this many ways, but what I do is either fight through heavy sets and not get all the way up on the contraction or reduce the weight and do higher reps. Higher reps really makes the burn come through :D

Either use a dropset when you can't get a full contraction, or, do partial rep burns in the middle range of the rep.

Originally posted by gopro
Either use a dropset when you can't get a full contraction, or, do partial rep burns in the middle range of the rep.

Would you please explain "partial rep burns in the middle range of the rep"? Sorry for being slow in understanding.

- Josh

I would use a weight that you can achieve a full contraction forthe desired rep range. If the majority of your reps are partial then you're only working a portion of the muscle and therefore will likely only achieve partial growth.

I believe in partials but only after a few sets of a full range of motion.

SIDE NOTE - both of these exercises hit the calves in a similar manner...I would choose one of the two (and alternate each workout) and add another exercise that targets the soleous (i.e. movements with a bent knee) such as a seated calf raise. This should help your calf developement considerably since standing raises mainly hit the gastrocnemious.

Originally posted by Josh
Sorry for being slow in understanding.

- Josh

Never feel sorry, hell I don't know what the hell Gopro is talking about half the time. hehehehe

He just means do half reps will also work the muscle as well, just not the full range.

Would you please explain "partial rep burns in the middle range of the rep"? Sorry for being slow in understanding.

- Josh

I should have said to do the partials at the end of the set...AFTER ALL FULL REPS HAVE BEEN DONE. Partials in the middle range means short reps in the middle portion of the rep.

When using a smith machine, I assume your on flat ground - in which case your already doing half reps. I would just about bet if you do nice slow reps in a full range of movement, there would be less problem with the ankles, but foot positioning or spacing may also play a role, hmm.

Originally posted by Fit Freak
SIDE NOTE - both of these exercises hit the calves in a similar manner...I would choose one of the two (and alternate each workout) and add another exercise that targets the soleous (i.e. movements with a bent knee) such as a seated calf raise. This should help your calf developement considerably since standing raises mainly hit the gastrocnemious.

My gym does not have a seated calf raise unit, so I can't do this :(

- Josh

I should have said to do the partials at the end of the set...AFTER ALL FULL REPS HAVE BEEN DONE. Partials in the middle range means short reps in the middle portion of the rep.

Got it! Thanks, GP!

- Josh

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Mudge
When using a smith machine, I assume your on flat ground - in which case your already doing half reps. I would just about bet if you do nice slow reps in a full range of movement, there would be less problem with the ankles, but foot positioning or spacing may also play a role, hmm.

No, I use a block or one of those thing used for aerobic stepping, standing on the edge with only the front part of the feet on the block and the heel not touching it. So I can do full range. I'll watch and try different foot positioning and spacing. Thx.

- Josh

I definately prefer standing calves over seated myself, thats a big block if you can do a full range :D

I actually pigeon toe ever so slightly, but use whatever feels right without hurting or feeling odd...

My gym does not have a seated calf raise unit, so I can't do this :(

- Josh

I would recommend using a stepper, a flat bench, and some plates.

Sit on the bench, put your toes on the stepper, throw the plates on your knees, and DESTROY THOSE CALVES!

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Originally posted by animal56
I would recommend using a stepper, a flat bench, and some plates.

Sit on the bench, put your toes on the stepper, throw the plates on your knees, and DESTROY THOSE CALVES!

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Ah...good idea.....I must try this......! Thanks a lot.

- Josh

The seated machines are in 2.5:1 or 3.0:1 ratio, so your going to need alot of plates perhaps. Slow deliberate reps and full ROM (range of movement).

In order to hit the soleus of the calf, do some of your sets with a slight bend in your knees. Don't neglect this portion of the calf!

Originally posted by Mudge
The seated machines are in 2.5:1 or 3.0:1 ratio, so your going to need alot of plates perhaps. Slow deliberate reps and full ROM (range of movement).

Hmmm, never tried this yet, so I'm not sure how much I would need. We'll see....

- Josh

In order to hit the soleus of the calf, do some of your sets with a slight bend in your knees. Don't neglect this portion of the calf!

Ahh...I'll try this as well. Thx, Gopro!

- Josh

Back