• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Monica Brant Leaves the IFBB and Joins the WBFF!

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Monica Brant Leaves the IFBB and Joins the WBFF!by Terry GoodladIn what can only be described as one of the most shocking fitness industry news developments in the history of women???s physique sports, Monica Brant announced tonight in Calgary, Alberta on center stage at the WBFF Alberta Championships, that she has left the IFBB after [...]

Read More...

Monica Brant Heads for Greener Pastures?
by Isaac Hinds

Bodysport.com reported over the weekend that Monica Brant is leaving the IFBB for another organization. Terry Goodlad (owner of bodysport.com) calls it, “one of the most shocking fitness industry news developments in the history of women’s physique sports”. I wouldn’t go that far. Surprising? Perhaps to some but to those in the industry, it isn’t all that shocking.

Monica Brant is considered an icon in the fitness industry by many women and rightfully so. She’s inspired countless women to compete and has found more success off stage than on. She is the 1998 Fitness Olympia champ and has competed in over a dozen IFBB Figure shows. She came up short in her quest for a figure title and many people felt she should have a couple of Figure wins under her belt. I would agree with her winning at least one Arnold and I had her winning the 2005 San Francisco Pro. That’s the nature of the competing in a subjective arena. You win some you loose some and not everyone is going to agree. I’d argue that Monica actually gained MORE fans by NOT winning.

It’s no secret that Monica hasn’t been happy with her placings in the IFBB. She publicly commented, numerous times, that it wasn’t about where she placed and she she did it (competed) for the fans. Monica hadn’t qualified for the 2010 Figure Olympia and it she found herself out of the top 6 at the 2010 Figure International. Frustrated? Likely, as would any competitor who has been in the top ranks for years and now finds themselves on the outside looking in.

Which would leave some wondering if you compete for the fans, why compete in another organization that has little to no attention in the United States? Why compete in a Canadian organization with no shows in the USA? The Figure International (the Arnold) & Figure Olympia are the two biggest shows with the best physiques in the world in front of a number of fans. My guess is we’ll see her tied into their marketing and promotion much like they’ve used Jennifer Nicole Lee in hopes of capitalizing off her name. It’s likely this is more of a business decision that just wanting to compete in a new organization. Adding a “name” competitor is an attempt to add credibility. Understandably so as would any organization trying to gain credibility.

Do I think her leaving is a big deal? No, I don’t. If it had happened in 2003 or 2005 to compete in another organization then I would probably have a different opinion. Does she have a great physique for a woman approaching 40? Absolutely but let’s not forget she’s competing against women in their 20s and early 30s and there comes a point in time when you’re body isn’t what it used to be.

Is her leaving the IFBB news? Certainly as Monica is still one of the biggest names in the fitness industry.

Did the IFBB push her out? No. It’s the age old story of when does a competitor call it a career on stage? How long does one stick around and continue to compete? That’s up to the competitor to decide however there is a time in every competitor’s career to know when to hang it up. Is it time for Monica to hang it up? She obviously doesn’t feel it is and that’s her prerogative.

Do I think it was a well executed announcement? Not at all. Public Relations 101 tells you that you don’t make a big announcement over a holiday weekend. Her web site still reads IFBB Pro Athlete and Cover Model. Could she have gotten more exposure if the announcement was planned better? Yes but I’m writing about it so some would argue that it did the job despite the poorly planned timing. Fair enough, I’d say but those of you looking to announce major things should do it in the middle of the week and never around a holiday.

Will it mean the end of the IFBB? Hardly. There are more competitors than ever competing in NPC Figure (the IFBB’s amateur organization) and the competition in the IFBB continues to get more and more difficult. Will others leave in hopes of greener pastures? Sure. There will always be competitors unhappy with their placings and think that a show with cool marketing and big promises will open up more doors. I say go for it. If you want to compete in one of the alphabet organizations that has little to no criteria in order to be considered a “pro” then knock yourself out. It’s an ego driven industry and if you need to place well to feel part of something and that defines your worth, then by all means do it.

At the end of the day Monica will still continue to hold her camps and make her living away stage. She’s one of the few women who “gets it” when it comes to making a business out of the exposure that from competing. Had she gotten the same amount of exposure had she chosen not to compete in the IFBB? I highly doubt it but no one will ever know for certain. I don’t feel she needs to compete in order to continue to run a successful business and I wish her all the best. I’ve worked with Monica on a number of projects over the years from photographing her first F.E.M. Camp in LA to redesigning her web site years ago. I’ve seen the impact she’s had on women’s lives and know she will continue to be an influence in the years to come. If competing in another organization makes her happy, so be it and I wish her all the best.

source

Back