• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Is Alcohol high in calories?

kanun

renewbie
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Well, is it? I don't mean beer or wine, I mean alcohol itself. Also, does it have other serious side-effects (in body-building terms)?

Thanks!

Originally posted by kanun
Well, is it? I don't mean beer or wine, I mean alcohol itself.

7.2 kcal per gram.

Or is it 7.45kcals?

Most will just tell ya 7.

1g of alcohol=7 cals
I believe it is about 28g per 1oz shot, but not sure maybe a little less.

Certain types of alcohol may have sugar added (Baileys, schnapps) so it depends which you are talking about.

Detrimental effects include increased recovery time and it slows down the metabolism of macronutrients since it is seen as toxic and, therefore, metabolized before anything else.

Looks like Dunc is 'most' :)

Oh TCD, if we compensate for the inefficiency of the human machine it is close enough to 7. ;)

Afterall, protein actually yields 5.65 cals.

Originally posted by Duncan
Oh TCD, if we compensate for the inefficiency of the human machine it is close enough to 7. ;)

Afterall, protein actually yields 5.65 cals.

Actually, we're both wrong. It's 7.1 kcals.

I shit you not:

Proc Nutr Soc 2000 Nov;59(4):511-7 Related Articles, Links

Role of substrate utilization and thermogenesis on body-weight control with particular reference to alcohol.

Schutz Y.

Institute of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 7, CH-1005 Lausanne, Switzerland. Yves.Schultz@iphysiol.unil.ch

Alcohol (ethanol; EtOH) provides fuel energy to the body (29.7 kJ (7. 1 kcal)/g, 23.4 kJ (5.6 kcal)/ml), as do other macronutrients, but no associated essential nutrients. The thermogenic effect of EtOH (on average 15 % of its metabolizable value) is much greater than that of the main substrates utilized by the body, i.e. fat and carbohydrates (CHO), suggesting a lower net efficiency of energy utilization for EtOH than for fat and CHO. EtOH cannot be stored in the body and is toxic, so that there is an obligatory continuous oxidation of EtOH and it becomes the priority fuel to be metabolized. In contrast to CHO, its rate of oxidation does not depend on the dose ingested. As with CHO intake, it engenders a shift in postprandial substrate utilization (decrease in fat oxidation), but by a non-insulin-mediated mechanism. A limited amount of EtOH can be converted to fatty acids by hepatic de novo lipogenesis (as occurs with high levels of CHO feeding) from acetate production, which inhibits lipolysis in peripheral tissues. There is no evidence that EtOH consumed under normoenergetic conditions (i.e. isoenergetically replacing CHO or fat) leads to greater body fat storage than fat or CHO. However, there is still a lack of experimental studies on the influence of EtOH on the level of spontaneous physical activity in man. This effect may well depend on the dose of EtOH consumed as well as other intrinsic factors.

Publication Types:
Review
Review, Tutorial

PMID: 11115785 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Oh the irony...

duncan, would have to side with TCD since he is a full-blown alcoholic! only subject he seems to know inside and out!

Protein is really 5.65? WTF? I've been using 4 forever, thats what the damn packages say.

Originally posted by Yanks20
duncan, would have to side with TCD since he is a full-blown alcoholic! only subject he seems to know inside and out!

Not quite.

Mudge, i gotta admit it's the first i've heard of that myself also.

But if it IS true, i suspect it's cause of the thermogenic value of protein. It loses about 30% of it's own calories via it's own digestion (cause your body needs to expend so many calories for the process).

30% of 5.65 = 1.695

5.65 - 1.695 = 3.955

Round it up and you got 4.

At least that's what i'd expect. if not, i'm well out of ideas.

That is if it is actually true and not just Dunc pulling our leg(s).

No, here is the info

Burning 1g of pure carbohydrate yields a heat of combustion of 4.20 kcal, 1g of pure protein releases 5.65 kcal, and 1g of pure lipid yields 9.45 kcal/g.

Considering average digestive efficiencies, the het kcal value per gram for carbohydrates equals 4.0, 9.0 for lipid and 4.0 for protein.

Taken from Katch, Katch, and McArdle, 2000.

Originally posted by Dr. Pain
OK...Let's see how many decimal places you guys can calculate "pie" to?? :D:D:D

DP
:haha:

That is just off the top of my head, though ;)

Originally posted by Duncan
Considering average digestive efficiencies, the het kcal value per gram for carbohydrates equals 4.0, 9.0 for lipid and 4.0 for protein.

What, so was i right?

(needing to lose calories to gain calories shows how inefficient the digestive process is - but then again, there are no 100% efficient machines, except maybe a radiator, or nuclear fission, if it ever becomes to exist).

2.24? I only remember 2.2 for sure, pounds per kilo, doh.

So we are ok with:

Fat 9
Carb 4
Pro 4
Alco 7

Super.

My ice cream, 2240 calories, help! Somebody take half...

Last edited:
Is that a 2-liter box of cream ? 2240 cals ? WTF?

Does that mean alcochol has to be totally cut out of a bodybuilders diet??

Not quite, an occasional night out is okay. I doubt your planning on turning pro, and bb'ing is not an all or nothing sport. If you go out drinking its not like you're going to lose ALL your muscle and gain ALL your fat back.

IML Gear Cream!
Yer but what about drinking half a bottle of TQ, smirn, JB, or JD a week?

Will that like give you heaps of extra fat or calories that will then need to be burned off at the gym?

liter or 750?

700ml - 750ml

And just out of curiosity what are your opinions on Weed and tobacco smoking for bodybuilders?

Yanick what country are you from brother?

700ml - 750ml

not bad :D

If your going to drink, just count those cals as part of your diet and compensate for them throughout the day.

And just out of curiosity what are your opinions on Weed and tobacco smoking for bodybuilders?

Cigarettes are a big no no, IMO. Way too many additives like tar and all that other bullshit. I myself, have been an idiot in the past and started smoking, i'm battling it right now trying to quit, IMO it's the worst substance you can put into your body.

As far as the weed goes, i have no problems with it morally. But when it comes to health, the pure plant (Cannabis Sativa?) isn't really that bad for you, but the stuff that you buy on the street is not pure Cannabis, it has a bunch of shit added to it. I do however light one up on occasion, it doesn't seem to hinder me that much, and i'm a strong believer in living life to its fullest.

Also i have to say, be extremely careful with it. Even if you are a weekend smoker you can become addicted (mentally not physically, but an addiction is an addiction). I know way too many people who have told themselves they will only smoke once a month--->week--->day--->hour etc etc. Then weed isn't fun and they go on to Ecstacy, Ketamine etc.

Yanick what country are you from brother?

Brooklyn, NY, US of A

Yer man i totally understand ya!

I find that the only bad thing about weed, is that a) it demotivates you, b) when people get the munchies they totally binge on bullshit like burgers, chips, etc.
Thats the only problems i find with it.

With ciggies, apart from the fact that there addictive and bad for you, do you think smoking them will hinder muscle growth or result in weight gain or something like that?

I find that the only bad thing about weed, is that a) it demotivates you, b) when people get the munchies they totally binge on bullshit like burgers, chips, etc.
Thats the only problems i find with it.

Yep, thats the worst part. That and the paranoia.

With ciggies, apart from the fact that there addictive and bad for you, do you think smoking them will hinder muscle growth or result in weight gain or something like that?

No benefits that i know of. I'm kicking myself to this day because i started smoking, now its incredibly hard to stop although i cut down tremendously.

Fair play

Its really strange, i know smoking is bad, but i have to admit i really enjoy having ciggies at times!

Liek i wouldnt even want to totally give it up for the fact that i enjoy it!

Originally posted by perfecto
Fair play

Its really strange, i know smoking is bad, but i have to admit i really enjoy having ciggies at times!

Liek i wouldnt even want to totally give it up for the fact that i enjoy it!

At the end of the day, its up to you. I'm one of those people who believe that bb'ing is just a hobby and its not worth killing yourself over, but cig's are extremely bad for you.

But like i said, its up to you. Also besides the shortness of breath thing, i don't think they affect muscle growth/fat loss.

might have to give up then ay

Originally posted by perfecto
might have to give up then ay

That would definitely be the best choice:thumb:

Back