• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Side Delt Delight.....more like Defire!

Dr. Pain

Banned Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Side Delt Delight.....more like Defire!

We've done some crazy things over the years to get massive capped delts......supersets, trisets, up and down ladders, dropsets, continuous repping (yes "continuous" one arm cable, one side, then the other, switch back, again, again, trade, DID I say you could Stop? , keep going to you can't get a single rep at ANY w8....fun huh?)

So today.....something simple....we do "Lean Away" DB laterals maybe every 4th or 5 th week as one of our shoulder exercises.....today we did it with a BB, yes a BB......TG my female partner had to use the smaller fixed BB's.....and could have use the EZ curl on her last set as she can side raise 25 # DB's, I just got past he 30# and 40# fixed, to the 7' standard BB on my top set..... that is until I get the stabilization down.....

TRY It for FUN :D :p

DP

why the BB and not just using designated db's?

i find lean away's very productive and do them about once a month as well.

hell on a good night i will do 2-3 sets with db's and then to total failure using cables! :thumb:

Originally posted by peetrips
Can you explain these a bit for me i havent heard of them before??

Originally posted by Yanks20
why the BB and not just using designated db's?

One arm barbell exercises are a derivation of Pavel Tsatsouline exercises designed for the Russian Air Force (for more information see link below). He made popular one-arm barbell curls, which absolutely rock and Kettle Ball exercises, which also employ one arm lifts. :D

So, while many people take the next step and use core exercises, which mainly benefit the trunk and trunk stabilization, we take yet a bigger step and use one arm barbell exercises to bring in stabilizers and small motor units not normally employed in "conventional" or "core" exercises.

An example of this would be a hierarchy from low-stabilization to high-stabilization.

Smith Machine Bench Press
BB Bench Press
DB Bench Press
DB Swiss Ball

And finally...

One arm BB anything....... We have done one arm BB shoulder presses, one arm BB Bench presses, of course Pavel's infamous One arm BB curl...........and now it just seemed a "natural extension" of the principle....to try it on other exercises!

Two Words: IT WORKS! :D :thumb:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Pavel+Tsatsouline+curls&btnG=Google+Search

DP

Originally posted by peetrips
Can you explain these a bit for me i havent heard of them before??

I think he was asking for a description of lean away's...how to do 'em...and if he wasn't...I am :D :p

Originally posted by w8lifter
I think he was asking for a description of lean away's...how to do 'em...and if he wasn't...I am :D :p

You place you feet to the left or right, under that shoulder or to the outside of that side's shoulder, feet together......then with your free arm (feet side arm) you hold on to a pole, post, machine, whatever.........and lean away from it.

You now look like / but with a little more lean.......this example would be feet on the left, left arm holding a pole....DB or BB in the right hand. Without momentum, you laterally raise your right arm, 0-5 degree bend in the elbow, thumb over the DB or BB, to about ear height, with a DB you gradually turn your thumb down 45-55 degrees during the last 8-10 inches of the movement, as if pouring water out of a pitcher........brief pause at the top, repeat for desired number of reps! :D :p

DP

:eek:....and you're using a BB??!!

I think I'd have to use them little pink DB's for that :eek: :grin:

:eek:....and you're using a BB??!!

I think I'd have to use them little pink DB's for that :eek: :grin:

YEP....a BB! :laugh: (warmed up with the 30 and 40 fixed...too short)

Pink DBs :haha: Do you still have/use them :D (that's fuckin funny! :D

DP

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Dr. Pain
YEP....a BB! :laugh: (warmed up with the 30 and 40 fixed...too short)

Pink DBs :haha: Do you still have/use them :D (that's fuckin funny! :D

DP

Actually...our pink dumbells are blue, and they weigh 2 lbs...I think I could handle 5 lbs...oh yippee :rolleyes:

Re: Side Delt Delight.....more like Defire!

So today.....something simple....we do "Lean Away" DB laterals maybe every 4th or 5 th week as one of our shoulder exercises.....today we did it with a BB, yes a BB......TG my female partner had to use the smaller fixed BB's.....and could have use the EZ curl on her last set as she can side raise 25 # DB's, I just got past he 30# and 40# fixed, to the 7' standard BB on my top set..... that is until I get the stabilization down.....

TRY It for FUN :D :p

DP

Try it for FUN?? I do these religiously. I LOVE this exercise!! :thumb: Every other week! These things are the best and they sure make for intimidating-shapely delts!!!:thumb: Although I do them with DB's I will try them with the bar!

Reminds me of this clown in the gym though... talk about bad form and he certainly was doingmore than he could handle. Did I help him? No!!! Why? Because in between sets he was dancing like he was in a club looking at the mirror...

I would've taken the weight he was using (40 lbs.) and threw at him!!!

:yes:
DP you are too intellectual :shrug: is that a bad thing :lol:
Good answer though (the first one :D)

When you do them are you supposed to biring the BB or DB against your side or just let it hang perpendicular or dosen't it matter??

Thanks, you can keep a bit of elevation for tension and to avoid any kind of momentum off the bottom.......or you can let it go perpendicular if you use "good form" :D :p

I've got to say that letting them come to rest against your body in a regular lateral or side raise is not good.....keep some degree of tension at all times. :D

With laterals, you can assume a 5 degree forward bend and allow the DBs to come directly in front of your thighs....as long as there is NO heaving involved! :finger:

DP

Actually...our pink dumbells are blue, and they weigh 2 lbs...I think I could handle 5 lbs...oh yippee :rolleyes:

if you would stop doing a 16 set shoulder work-out I bet they would get stronger! ;)

Originally posted by Prince
if you would stop doing a 16 set shoulder work-out I bet they would get stronger! ;)

That came back to bite me in the ass didn't it :laugh: ...but my shoulder's look really good..:grin:..which is really what i care about...I don't have to abduct my arms under resistance on stage ;)

It's not 'How many" sets you do. it's "How" you do them.....:D

I have done shoulders in as little as 9 to as many 65 sets.......if you use "physical strength" only to lift, and "become stronger"..... then your screwed! :D

DP

Physically.....you are only as strong as you "think" you are.

When you employ EVERYTHING at your disposal........mental Judo, rage (emotions), chi, spiritual strength for those so incline, music, whatever........use your surroundings....then you can be much much stronger in an instant!

For example.....it you think you can't.....you probably can't or won't....I see this all the time as I push people to one or more PR's using various techniques......most of which are IN YOUR HEAD!

My all time favorite....a button pushing thing I do.........I handed my partner a tampon before a w8 he had never done before....said "Monica at the counter thought you might need this!"...he not only did that w8, but the next higher too.....2 PR's right after he said 'I can't do that'......Hundreds of people, hundred of PR's..........to many thinking about their limitations......not there abilities! :D :p

DP

IML Gear Cream!
I want to elabor8 on this!

When elite athletes were asked, ..."What part of your Sport is Mental?, What part Physical?" Many replied up to 90-95% mental.

When asked. "How much of yout training time is spent on Mental Training?" ...most replied 0 to 5%

(side-thought first)

Look at it this way.....you have an Energy Bank......100 units = 100%

One criteria for maintaining 100% day after day is good nutrition and recovery techniques. If you start the week at 100 units, spend 40 each day , and only replace 20....by the end of the week "your toast"

Not to start another argument over this quote....but this is what John Parrillo meant by:

"There is no such thing as Overtraining, just Under-Recovery"

(think of that in the Zen sense...we can argue it later, cuz if there is perfect recovery....there is NO overtraining!)

(side thought finished...it was a primer)

So when we W/O.......we have X amount of physical Energy....and X amount of (let's call it Mental ENERGY, but this really means everything else at your disposal) !

You would notice in those I train or have trained (I love to watch former trainees W/O and help others).......they don't recruit a lot of Mental Energy in the early W/U and work sets........but when it comes to the Big Positive Momentary Failure or Max Lift sets......Physical Energy is then Combined with Mental Energy for a Synergistic and Maximum result!

(You MUST save this "Special Energy" until it is Time)

We may Growl, bang the w8 around, use silent rage, circle like a shark, gather chi, whatever.......but you can tell the difference in Heart.....from a W/O drone...to someone who is Pain Trained.

The point is....that this FIRE, this HEART, this Mental Edge is available to everyone..........notice who uses and who does not!

If you want to make more progress in less time ....USE IT! :D

DP

It's not 'How many" sets you do. it's "How" you do them.....:D

I have done shoulders in as little as 9 to as many 65 sets.......if you use "physical strength" only to lift, and "become stronger"..... then your screwed! :D

DP

65 sets! :eek:

I worked shoulders with chest yesterday and I did 4 sets of dumbbell laterals. :)

Back