• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Question about muscle gain and weight loss

bsc14

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Question about muscle gain and weight loss

I'm new so this might sound like a stupid question but is it possible to do both at the same time? When I say "muscle gain" I mean mass. The reason I'm asking is because I got a few sessions with a trainer and he wants me to lose the fat first. Now I'm not fat at all just what I have gained around my waist the past few years. Anyway, he doesn't want me working with weights instead he has me doing pushups, Hindu squats, crunches, running etc. Is this the proper way to do it?

Thanks.

Perhaps you should ask him/her about circuit training. Circuit traing is a great way to lose alittle weight as well as prepare your muscles for a heavier regimen of weight training that is to come. But foremost .. You should convey your goals to your trainer and tell him/her what you are hoping to accomplish in the gym. If he is not willing to change your routine for you, Thank him and find someone else( Just my opinion). With a wide variety of apperatus avaliable in the gym today it makes no sense to me not to use any of it, even at an early stage of lifting.

Agreed...if your trainer is building a program based around what they want to see and not what your goals are for yourself, then find another trainer that will.

If there is a specific reason for him/her wanting you to lose fat (it impedes lifting, etc.) then I'd say that's valid but they should let you know WHY.

Some trainers focus on fat loss specifically so that they can take before/after shots and get more clients that way...even if their current clients aren't happy.

I told him I wanted to lose my fat and bulk up. He said these things (push ups etc.) would prepare my muscles and joints for weights. He also said you have to trim the fat and speed up the metabolism before bulking up. Then go back and trim down again after bulking up. True?

Yes, you can do both at the same time, but the faster you want to lose fat generally the harder it will be to gain muscle. If your willing to live with slower fat loss, naturally just getting to the gym and getting the metabolism sped up a bit through your excersize, and new muscle, will help you slowly get rid of it.

Nothing will speed allday metabolism like building some new muscle. Unlike fat, muscle requires energy to be "alive" and the more you build, the more energy you will use to fuel it.

Welcome to the board bsc14 :thumb:

There could be a number of reasons why the trainer is starting out that way, your age, weight, experience........

It is VERY possible to loose weight and gain mass at the same time especially for a beginner, of course as you become a more advanced lifter and your BF drops that gets harder and harder.

I can't comment on why your trainer has you starting that way but I would encourage you to ask them why and like the others said to convey your goals to them.

Best of luck and Keep us posted, there are no stupid questions here. :)

Thanks guys. Great boards!

Hey have any of you guys read a book called "The Men's Health Hard Body Plan" Just curious what you thought of the work out plan. I kind of dropped the trainer because I wanted to use weights. Anyway, this book show a lot or great exercises with weights. Looks like a good program.

By the way I'm 30 years old 5'-11 and 185lbs.

Here's a link to a good site that shows you how to do many exercises with good form:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Also, check out the main IM page for a good mass routine and the diary section will give you an idea what others are doing.

IML Gear Cream!
Welcome.

First, get a new trainer.

Second, learn everything you can.

Third, as a newbie to lifting it is VERY possible to do both. As an advanced lifter it is damn near impossible. As a newbie, gaining muscle alone will help you burn fat, as additional muscle will speed up your calorie intake. Moreover, the exercises alone will burn calories.

If you want to do both here is the best advice you can get (people please bear in mind the context of THIS member):

1) Learn what your maintenance calorie level is. A good starting place is 12 cals per pound of bodyweight. Move it up or down slowly, week by week to.

2) Learn a good clean bodybuilding diet and make it part of your life.

3) Eat maintenance calories, in a clean fashion -- as a newbie, you will be able to gain muscle, which will add your fat reduction (see above).

4) Get a good routine.

5) Take measurements and monitor progress this way in addition to the mirror.

6) When you begin to stagnate and move towards to the intermediate level, you will than need to comnpartmentalize your goals. Do you want to get leaner? Bigger?

Nothing will speed allday metabolism like building some new muscle. Unlike fat, muscle requires energy to be "alive" and the more you build, the more energy you will use to fuel it.

IMO, the only way to lose fat is to lift w/ weights and a healthy clean diet. I do it everyday! :D

Originally posted by bsc14
The reason I'm asking is because I got a few sessions with a trainer and he wants me to lose the fat first. Now I'm not fat at all just what I have gained around my waist the past few years. Anyway, he doesn't want me working with weights instead he has me doing pushups, Hindu squats, crunches, running etc. Is this the proper way to do it?

Thanks.

If you were obese then I would agree with focusing on fat loss first, but if you just have a little extra in the mid-section then I see no problem with weight lifting.

as someone else mentioned, starting out with some circuit training, or full body work-outs for the first few months would be good.

Re: Re: Question about muscle gain and weight loss

Originally posted by Prince
...starting out with some circuit training, or full body work-outs for the first few months would be good.

Here's something I'll be doing as my cut moves along.

A circuit style workout, done HST style.

Back