PDA

View Full Version : Reversing Food Allergies

troubador
11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
So I've been looking at claims around the net about people following special diets to reverse food allergies. Is there any truth to this? Before I dedicate two years to eating organic chicken bone broth I want to know if it will work or if it's just crazy people's wishful thinking.

Dale Mabry
11-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Do you know if you actually have one? For most, I recommend paleo because for the first 30 days all allergens are removed. You then slowly start adding in stuff and see how you respond to it. Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution goes over it and his site has some good info. Robbwolf.com.

troubador
11-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Well, I have eosinophilic esophagitis. For the most part I never have any symptoms other than the EE. I had an allergy test done and of course it turns out I'm allergic to almost everything. I'll look into that site, thanks.

TonyMack
11-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Just curios, did elevated Eosinophils show up on blood work before the onset of eosinophilic esophagitis symptoms?

troubador
11-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Just curios, did elevated Eosinophils show up on blood work before the onset of eosinophilic esophagitis symptoms?

Not that I know of. Growing up food would periodically get stuck in my esophagus. The point where it would get stuck got higher over the years. A couple years ago a pill got stuck high enough to where I couldn't breath. I went to the doctor and they did a biopsy and diagnosed me as having EE. I was diagnosed with asthma around 7 years old. Outdoor allergies and asthma were a problem growing up. I never suspected I had food allergies, except for a couple odd things that caused slight irritation. I thought the food getting stuck was due to not chewing my food properly.

TonyMack
11-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Not that I know of. Growing up food would periodically get stuck in my esophagus. The point where it would get stuck got higher over the years. A couple years ago a pill got stuck high enough to where I couldn't breath. I went to the doctor and they did a biopsy and diagnosed me as having EE. I was diagnosed with asthma around 7 years old. Outdoor allergies and asthma were a problem growing up. I never suspected I had food allergies, except for a couple odd things that caused slight irritation. I thought the food getting stuck was due to not chewing my food properly.

Troubador, a friend of mine has the same problem and she has been trying for years to get it figured out and the doctors don't seem to have much knowledge. For those reading this thread that don't know what EE is; it's caused a type of white blood cell that is manufactured in the bone marrow is attacking your esophagus. I have a similar issue with Eosinophils in my lower intestine and it started showing up in blood work before the symptoms became noticeable, but nothing near the severity of EE. Very sorry hear what you are dealing with.

By chance, have you been to a good Allergist? If food is suspected, I think a knowledgeable doctor would be a good place to start. But keep in mind, since the inflammation is cause by Eosinophils (they can survive in tissue for like 12 days), so even after the cause of the increased eos production is removed, the inflammation can hang around for a while. Which makes the strategy Dale lined out a very long process, but if you're out of options, by all means its worth the effort and time invested.

Back to your original question; can you reverse a food allergy? I don't really know. If you can find a single, confirmed cause of the increased eos production, then maybe a really good doctor can work with you on immunotherapy. I wish I had a better answer for you, and I hope you can find someone who does.

I will talk with my friend and ask for an update on what she's tried and see if there is anything that would be useful to you.

troubador
11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I did see an allergist. That's who did the skin prick test. I've read that type of test always turns up a lot of false positives. I take flovent for the EE, which works really well but unfortunately you can't just keep taking it because it's a steroid.

Thanks

Dale Mabry
11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
You can reverse certain food allergies. If I eat too many eggs I develop an allergy to them, if I lay off them for a few days I can start eating them again but if I let it get out of control it happens again.

Also, here's a study that may give you some ideas.

Treatment of eosinophilic esophag... [Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16279563)

troubador
11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
You can reverse certain food allergies. If I eat too many eggs I develop an allergy to them, if I lay off them for a few days I can start eating them again but if I let it get out of control it happens again.

Also, here's a study that may give you some ideas.

Treatment of eosinophilic esophag... [Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16279563)

Thanks, I'm thinking about an elimination diet. It's confusing though. Some recommend eliminating certain foods even if you aren't allergic to them.

Dale Mabry
11-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks, I'm thinking about an elimination diet. It's confusing though. Some recommend eliminating certain foods even if you aren't allergic to them.

That's the point, you could be allergic to multiple things and not know it.

LAM
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't know if can intentionally be done. I do know that I used to have a serious allergic reaction to aspirin when I was in jr high, etc. and now I can eat them like candy. allergy's come and go the human body is fubar in many ways.

troubador
11-14-2011, 07:52 PM
That's the point, you could be allergic to multiple things and not know it.

The test said I'm not allergic to wheat, milk, beef... things they say to eliminate in that diet. That leaves like two things left I can eat - bananas and snow leopard.