• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Shin Pain

Skyliner

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Whenever I run for a while, my shin starts to hurt pretty bad. Sorta like a combination of tightness/ache/numbness combined. I was running about 1k and before my stamina gets affected, I stopped running due to the shin hurting so bad.

To make things worse I will be having a big run event in school this week. So may I ask...

- Is there anything I can do to reduce the pain (eg. stretching, massage, etc) in my shins?
- Will running with smaller steps decrease it from hurting this much?
- Is there anything I can wear to reduce the pain?

Thanks.

What you are referring to is pain in your anterior tibialis...a muscle along the front of your lower leg (shin). There are a couple things you can do:
1) make sure you stretch this muscle
2) train this muscle by doing toe raises with your heel on a step...left the toes up as high as possible.....kind of like the opposite of a calf raise
3) are you running a lot down hills...if so this could be one of your problems
4) lastly...check your shoes to make sure you have a propper fit and they're not worn out

I would have to agree with FF about the shoes. I've had similar problems, yet after purchasing a pair of shoes specifically designed for my running style and weight, I've had very little problems w/ shins.

i got the same pain doin leg curls the other day to the point where i couldnt do em ni more

When I was in the Marines I would get the worst shin splints on our 10-20 mile hikes. it was okay on the runs but the hikes in them damn boots did it every time. The one thing that I was able to do to get through them was take 4 to 5 asprin before hand... not great for the tummy but sure did work for the shin splints.

oh and what Fit Freak said.

I've had this problem as well, proper shoes was the fix for me, go to a shoe store that knows there stuff and can fit you with a proper shoe, it doesn't have to be expensive, just the right shoe for your step.

Also, do you run on un-even surfaces? I use to run on the sidewalk that would go up and down off the street, once I stopped that and just stuck to running on the street, all was fine.

Also, make sure you warm up sufficiently on the treadmill/loutside before either going up hills or increasing speed. I have also found that Ben Gay works well as a preventative.

I had the same problem recently. The trainer at my school told me to get some insoles like you see at a pharmacy and it has helped very much.

I have this same shin pain when I do calf raises then I get this quarter size bubble in the front of my legs that hurts severly. I am going to try what freak said to work this front muscle(anterior tibialis):)

IML Gear Cream!
Go over your shin up and down with something like a peace of wood or even a screw driver every day and you???ll never have shin splints again??? :D

I used to have shin splints...poor shoes and excess weight was my problem. Both are much better now and so are my shin splints.

Originally posted by ectomorph141
I have this same shin pain when I do calf raises then I get this quarter size bubble in the front of my legs that hurts severly. I am going to try what freak said to work this front muscle(anterior tibialis):)

I was doing a search on Shin Pain and saw this thread. I too have a bubble but its the size of a dime. I've always wondered what it is.

Regarding the shin pain. I use to like running and I stopped but I wanted to start again and on Sat I ran for 15 mins and my shins hurt so bad. I have running shoes that have been advised for me I work my calves. Any other ideas?

I tried Fit Freaks advice about working the anterior tibialis...a muscle along the front of your lower leg (shin). After a week or two the bubble and the pain disappeared. Since I work at a desk all day I would work this muscle occasionally while I sat at my computer. With my feet flat on the floor I would lift the front of my feet up leaving my heels on the floor. You will feel it within seconds. Excellent advice on this thread to cure this problem. :thumb:

Any other suggestions? :)

Back