• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Pilates or Yoga

Which do you enjoy better or feel is more beneficial to you?

• Pilates

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Yoga

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
D

david

IML Gear Cream!
I took Yoga a few years back before a major surgery and was quite flexible then... and now that I am able to get 85% of my flexibility, I am thinking of going back!

However, I've heard of Pilates but never have seen it and know very little about it.

Because I'm very flexible again.... I hope I can get some insight and opinions on both subject matters

I dont know about either :) I used to be able to do the splits easily, and now I can't, so I'm working on that again and damn am I really tight, uhh...

How about Tai Chi?

Tai Chi is an option but bc/ both Pilates and Yoga are offered within my gym, I'd rather stay withing the confines then to drive somewhere more!

I think Yoga is more balance, Pilates is about using muscles in a completely different way. :shrug:

Here's an idea:
Something we do in Pilates is lay face down, shoulders down, palms down next to your shoulders , squeeze your heals together as tight as you can. Then lift your knees off the ground. Maintain this position for a certain count.

I never worked my glutes out like that before. :lol:

..Just thought Id try and give you a mental picture. :D:

Originally posted by Julie7Ulie
I think Yoga is more balance, Pilates is about using muscles in a completely different way. :shrug:

Here's an idea:
Something we do in Pilates is lay face down, shoulders down, palms down next to your shoulders , squeeze your heals together as tight as you can. Then lift your knees off the ground. Maintain this position for a certain count.

Ooh the picture that's in my mind right now :D

Once a task you first begun,
Never finished until it???s done,
Be the labor great or small,
Do it well or not at all!
- Big Mama

:laugh: Yoga has much better mental pictures. :lol:

How much better can it get???:D

6304291817.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...67402/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/103-6193987-8303869

Here's an idea:

We have a piece of odd equipment that does that. I'll have a picture of it later tonight for you. I think it's the move you described however, isn't it more for your lower back??

Stay tuned to this thread!

As for the picture...... I am mental but I see no picture? :shrug:

IML Gear Cream!
I guess it does do a little of the lower back. :shrug: It REALLY does the glutes and hams though. I did lunges the day after and the after effects had me walking like a duck for the whole week. :laugh:

Yoga is much more relaxed. You do a lot of lamaze-like breathing in Pilates. :lol:

Both are good, they get a bad rap because a majority of people just do it because Madonna or Jennifer Anniston do. Neither one of them is a sufficient stand alone program, but can be a valuable part of a fitness regimen. IMO, you can get more flexible using assisted stretching with weights than either one of these programs.

I've been doing Yoga for about a year and love it. Haven't tried Pilates, but I'd imagine it's just as good. I've noticed a huge difference in my flexibility since I started.

I guess it does do a little of the lower back. :shrug: It REALLY does the glutes and hams though. I did lunges the day after and the after effects had me walking like a duck for the whole week. :laugh:

Yoga is much more relaxed. You do a lot of lamaze-like breathing in Pilates. :lol:

Maybe then, you should post a picture of you doing this exercise. At least that's what I think the masses would like! No one wants to see my butt and hams get tight! ;)

A duck? After walking lunges I walk like I'm on stilts! :lol:

Originally posted by Dale Mabry
Both are good, they get a bad rap because a majority of people just do it because Madonna or Jennifer Anniston do. Neither one of them is a sufficient stand alone program, but can be a valuable part of a fitness regimen. IMO, you can get more flexible using assisted stretching with weights than either one of these programs.

Well, I didn't know either stars that you mention do them, honestly. When I did yoga and they had the lights out, it seemed peaceful and relaxing.... :shrug:

Originally posted by Var
I've been doing Yoga for about a year and love it. Haven't tried Pilates, but I'd imagine it's just as good. I've noticed a huge difference in my flexibility since I started.

I believe that flexibility is very important and can make a world a difference in one's workout. That's why I would not hesitate to improve on that. I also have taken Karate etc. and love the fact that I can kick real fast etc.!!!

Julie,

This is the thing we use for what you described for your glutes, hams and lower back.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I think Pilates focuses a lot on your lower bac and abs (your "core" muscles) but if you are look for a full body stretch, then yoga is your thing. The best is to take yoga at the end of your strength training week and it really loosens you up. I also find that I have some of my biggest lifts after I do yoga.

Having spent a long time doing both:

Pilates is all about your core ab muscles...it's great if you're bored with your situp routine. Some of the advanced exercises are absolute killers. Pilates is about using gravities natural resistances to build core strength with some flexibility mixed in.

Yoga stresses flexibility a little more, meditation a little more, and IMO is a better all over body workout. It seems to me Yoga got the arms and legs involved far more than Pilates, which seemed fixated on the abs, hips, and ass....

Lately I've been doing Pilates as a supplement to my running/Abs days, and it's going great....

I think you really can't lose with either.

That is a reverse hyper machine and is a great piece of equipment. They make better ones now that you can actually load some weight on with. My gym has neither unfortunately so I have to do them on a Horizontal Roman Chair.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Karlito
Having spent a long time doing both:

Pilates is all about your core ab muscles...it's great if you're bored with your situp routine. Some of the advanced exercises are absolute killers. Pilates is about using gravities natural resistances to build core strength with some flexibility mixed in.

Yoga stresses flexibility a little more, meditation a little more, and IMO is a better all over body workout. It seems to me Yoga got the arms and legs involved far more than Pilates, which seemed fixated on the abs, hips, and ass....

Lately I've been doing Pilates as a supplement to my running/Abs days, and it's going great....

I think you really can't lose with either.
I guess great minds think alike. :)

I agree!

Originally posted by david
Julie,

This is the thing we use for what you described for your glutes, hams and lower back.

attachment.php

Is that guy doing it properly? :eek:

I dont think its very similar to that. More of what karlito says is what it actually does.

As for the actual exercises, you should try em out. Some are too funky to explain. :lol:

Maybe then, you should post a picture of you doing this exercise. At least that's what I think the masses would like! No one wants to see my butt and hams get tight! ;)

A duck? After walking lunges I walk like I'm on stilts! :lol:

:haha:

Is that guy doing it properly? :eek:

I dont think its very similar to that. More of what karlito says is what it actually does.

As for the actual exercises, you should try em out. Some are too funky to explain. :lol:

Believe it or not that was his decline but his incline goes slightly below parallel, leg and feet together squeezing the buttocks, hams back.

You can also do that exercise with just a regular flat bench or by letting your legs hanging from the hyperextension rack (hands holding the bottom of the rack.

Believe it or not that was his decline but his incline goes slightly below parallel, leg and feet together squeezing the buttocks, hams back.

Whoa. :eek:

Does it work? Seems... creative. :D

That move was taught to me by a fitness competitior and when she showed me it felt good!

It felt right.

Seemed to work

That move was taught to me by a fitness competitior and when she showed me it felt good!
How good did it feel?:finger: :D

It definitely isolates the glutes and hammys in a different way from leg curls and if you have a spotter, you can add resistance by having someone place a towel around your legs and pull down. My wife did that this week and it took my ass three days to recover. (that doesnt sound good-hopefully you get the point).

they feel great but I get better results with stiff legged deadlift off a 25 plates on my toes! GREATTT STRETCH!!!

Back