• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Newbie-How much protein?

cjrmack

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi all, a newbie here. I have been doing a lot of cardio (bicycle and swimming) the past few months. In the process I lost about 12 pounds by eating sensibly and cutting out fast food, cookies, ice cream, etc.

I am 43 y/o, 5'11" 186 lbs. I normally eat oatmeal or cereal and fruit for breakfast, sandwich and fruit for lunch, chicken or fish, potato, rice or pasta and a veggie for dinner, lowfat yogurt for snack. I also eat fruits or nutritional snack bars for snacks during the day.

I just started working out with weights about 3 weeks ago. I do about an hour of lifting on Mon, Wed, and Fri and cardio on Tues, Thur, and Sat. I am pleased with my progress but I have read that protein will help increase my muscles.

My questions regarding protein intake are as follows:

About how much protein (grams) should I have per day?

Does too much protein mess with you calcium?

Are protein shakes or bars a good way to go to get extra protein?

Any help anyone can give me in regards to these questions is appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by cjrmack
Hi all, a newbie here. I have been doing a lot of cardio (bicycle and swimming) the past few months. In the process I lost about 12 pounds by eating sensibly and cutting out fast food, cookies, ice cream, etc.

Congratulations and Welcome to IM :wave:

I am 43 y/o, 5'11" 186 lbs. I normally eat oatmeal or cereal and fruit for breakfast, sandwich and fruit for lunch, chicken or fish, potato, rice or pasta and a veggie for dinner, lowfat yogurt for snack. I also eat fruits or nutritional snack bars for snacks during the day.

I just started working out with weights about 3 weeks ago. I do about an hour of lifting on Mon, Wed, and Fri and cardio on Tues, Thur, and Sat. I am pleased with my progress but I have read that protein will help increase my muscles.

It sounds like there is no protein in your diet. Protein should be in every meal eating 5-6 small meals a day.

My questions regarding protein intake are as follows:

About how much protein (grams) should I have per day?

1-1.5 G of Protein per pound of Bodyweight divided evenly into 5-6 meals a day. Concentrate on healthier carbs and less rice, pasta, bread and cereals. More oats, sweet potatos, brown rice, berries, grapefruit, peaches, legumes etc.

Does too much protein mess with you calcium?

Not that I'm aware of

Are protein shakes or bars a good way to go to get extra protein?

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Its cheap and good. About $25.00 for 5 pounds at www.1fast400.com If you want to lose bodyfat stay away from protein bars.

Be sure to eat 3-4 servings of Green Veggies a day. Check out the stickies at the top of this forum, especially one titled Newbies Start Here :D

Any help anyone can give me in regards to these questions is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks

Thanks for your help. As I go along I am sure I will have more questions. This is a great forum board and reading the articles has been really helpful.

Back