• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Member Diary Section

EarWax

Top Banana
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
A member diary section would be good. This way people can enter periodic comments about their training, diet, etc on their single thread. People can learn from them what fails or works, comment on it, etc.

Prince and I have both talked about this and it's a good idea but we didn't want to make it seem like we were copying other boards because they have journals. But if we call them diaries, maybe Prince will go for it.

------------------
If you build it they will come

Sometimes you just can't get around good ideas like journals/diaries. Even though other boards have them, they are indeed useful and should be included.

I totally agree and so what if other boards have them. Prince, Scotty, mac, crowman, and myself all want to serve our member to the best of our abilities and if that means copying an idea, so be it!

------------------
If you build it they will come

Hey Hulk, nice looking site except for the ads.

I hear what you're saying Hulk...however, I don't ever plan on putting ads on this site!
biggrin.gif

------------------
train hard!

Hulk man,

Hey, all I said was I didn't like them. No need to go horse manure on me. Also how can you infer that I have no clue if I just dislike them? Some people don't think before they shit on someone. Must be a forum syndrome.

My concern is this, these ads (some from Ian and Ms. Abs) promote their products. I understand you want some incentive, but if the well being of individuals through their help is not enough, then dump them is what I say. I feel twice as skeptical about someone's advice when they are pedaling their snake oil to me.

Tell me how much it costs you to host a site? Enlighten me? I'm just a college guy. I'm not in the internet business, but again what do you need other than to register a domain name, some software, a computer, time, and an internet connection. I'd appreciate it, or is that information propriatory.

I have a little web site for my toy store and I know that advertising is everything so I can understand why Hulk or MM.com uses it.

I've always wondered why sites like MM don't use more adds, they've got a great name, hell I found that site looking for musclemag the mag and found the forum that way.

I have no problem with the adds and wouldn't have a problem with them here if Prince decided to go that route.

Thanks for spending the time to spell it out for me Hulk. I was caffienated up, so I apologize if I sounded a bit blown up. I shouldn't get on the boards when I'm in one of my temper modes. I do like your site and let me elaborate. It is really nice looking and well organized. It looks like a great deal of work and thought went into the design of the site. I'm not a member, but I do pop by every once in a while to take a look see if anyone is talking about something that interests me.

So as far as I can tell, the main costs are the articles and bandwidth. I'm not sure how costs rise with bandwidth useage and would like to know more about it. I did know that this would occur, but couldn't imagine it could get so bad as to be $400 a month. Do you know a site with info on a certain plan? I'd like to see a rates/bandwidth table.

As for the making money part, well I have to say I'm not so sure if ads will help. I was a member of a game developing forum for a while and they kept asking us to click ads cause they weren't making any money. Of course the people will be different on a bodybuilding forum or the game people could have been lying heh. I'm more of a non-profit kind of guy for this type of thing. I would just be on the lookout for scammers who want to put ads on your site.

Anyway, thanks again.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by EarWax (edited 02-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by EarWax (edited 02-27-2001).]

I just looked on BellSouth's webpage for a listing of plans. Are you guys using Shared Web Hosting?
http://www.bellatlantic.com/bellcom/index3.htm

It seems to me the most cost would go into disk space $10/10MB extra. The bandwidth cost of $0.10/MB extra doesn't seem that bad for a forum if you don't have large graphic files.

IML Gear Cream!
now that we are talkin about building a website i would like to build one and i have for some time. i joined linkshare a while back and i have joined a few affilaitae programs and id like to make my own site. i contracted a design site but they were of no help. can anyone help me design a site?

------------------
Got Muscle?
Train hard, play fast, go strong.

what kind of site are you working on? or would that be giving away to much info?

something that has things where i can put a forum and and some articles and workouts and nutrition stuff and research. i want to have my own name for it too. it wasnt it either to be nitrotraining.com or fizikultraining.com

------------------
Got Muscle?
Train hard, play fast, go strong.

Well, it's simple over in college cause I can just set up a webserver and make webpages. The forum database I could probably do with some VBscript or Java, but I haven't tried. Probably better to buy that software. I bet Prince or Hulk know a lot of good stuff about forums
smile.gif

As for making webpages, I like Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash from http://www.macromedia.com
You can try their demos for free last time I checked. You can also write stuff directly in HTML without that stuff if you look at others webpages.

Yeah I knew it was a sql server. I wasn't sure how most forum software communicated through a browser to a server. Java? VBScript? I've used sql just a little in VB code. $175 per month on a dedicated server is way past my budget. I'd be forced to go on a cutting routine.

I am "alright" with site building. I enjoy it a lot, so if you want my help, I would be glad. Good credentials for me later in life
wink.gif
So if anyone that is planning to make a site needs help, contact me, I never would want money anyway, credentials are good enough for future jobs
smile.gif

------------------
"The Greatest Mistake You Can Ever Make Is Continually Fearing That You Will Make One"
-Elbert Hubbard

[This message has been edited by MightyKing (edited 03-07-2001).]

Back