• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Deadlift

Deeznuts

Still Growing
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Skipping a long story i'll get straight to the point - my powerlifting coach said I REALLY needed to get my deadlift up in order to pull in 1st place wins at meets. What do I need to do? I'm completely open minded. Is there any excercies I can do to improve deadlift? Is there a special form that might help? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks.

this might sound crazy but the best way to improve your deadlift is to deadlift.. duh.. if strength is concern, stick with low reps.. i do 3-6 reps and 3 sets (not including warmup).. keep back straight especially when pullin up insane amounts of weight.. head up too

Thanks for the reply.

I know to improve deadlift, the excercise itself would probably be the best way to do it, but it's so easy to go wrong and if you do the consequences can be pretty painful. I think the low reps is good advice but the workout our coaches have us on is pretty lame:

This is all one day, and deadlift is the only excercise

2x10
3x6
3x3
2x2
1x1

Needless to say my back is hurting by the end of this.

So are there any other excercies I could do to improve my deadlift? Or are there any form/position tips you more experienced guys might have?

depends on what your weak point is on how you train it. My legs are my weak point so i have been doing some box deadlifts were you just stand on a box so you have to squat more and use more legs. You can do rack dead which you use a squat rack for and only do the back movement part and not the legs(bar starts on rack at about knee level. Do some lower back exercises. If you are looking for raw explosive power your above work out is good, just make sure you put the weight down after each rep rather than doing the whole set w/o a pause (which is only brief). Also search this forum a few good threads and Animalpak.com there is an article there that is good
Gary

Throw Movements such as Sumo-Deadlifts into your routine, just to get some more leg strength and shock your legs. Squats.. and of coarse deadlift. Heavy weight, Strict form. Work your lower back also, even though deadlift works it, so your back will beable to support more weight. Goodluck, and btw wheres ur deadlift at. Pounds*

I'm not sure what my max is but thank you both for the help. I've been working out by starting with 185 (to get perfect form), and working upto 275 with the workout I posted. That may not seem like much but i'm competing in the 114 weight class and haven't done deadlift at all until this season. I've actually been using the "sumo" position everytime I deadlift. Is this bad?

Right now onn the days that we don???t deadlift usually ever other week we do this.

Bent over rows 4 x 6
Hyperextensions 4 x 12 w/ 10-25 lbs plate
Dumbbell Row 4 x 8

And on the days we deadlift usually the only other thing we do for back same day is bent over rows.

If your doing sumo already then just do normal deadlifts in your routine. Just to mix it up and really shock them legs man

my deadlift never has anything to do with my legs.. just my grip and how much weight my back can support.. i squat more than a deadlift tho.. it would make sense to develop legs if that's what's limiting you tho

In addition to the excellent advice from XRing, I'd suggest adding Box Squats and Good Mornings.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by prophet
my deadlift never has anything to do with my legs.. just my grip and how much weight my back can support.. i squat more than a deadlift tho.. it would make sense to develop legs if that's what's limiting you tho

How does deadlift have nothing to do with your legs? If 100 pounds more than your deadlift max was placed in your hands at lockout, you should beable to hold the weight. Maybe during a workout your grip would give out, but if he's in a competition. It's one rep. I'm guessing theres a Prelim of some sorta in the competition, but that should fatitige the forarms / your grip enough to not beable to hold the weight. If that is the case, Gorrilia hangs - Wrist Curls - Reverse Wrist Curls - Plate Holds - And just lock out on deadlift and hold the weight to build grip. And if your back cannot support it, I'm guessing poor for for, even though deadlift tends to hit the lower back, it shouldn't be that excessive. Make sure your not hunching over the weight, that can cause back pain / strain during your lift. Also, Your squat is higher than your deadlift? That's pretty strange.

Find out where you are weak in the DL, bottom, mid, top or what.

if your legs are as stong as you say they are then it sounds like the problem is in your back and/or grip. Nothing beats a strong grip so I recomend you doing things like pinch plates with 10lb plates, just pinch 2 plates together and hold them in each hand at the same time for as long as you possibly can. Also, I would do some rear delt work like rear delt flyes, reverse peck deck and seated high cable rows. Pull overs and chin ups are also great (the chin ups will help your grip strength as well.)

Thanks for all the advice guys. My coach is working with me as well.

But I had the same problem as you...try focusing on your legs and keep your butt down, or else you'll really end up messing up your back you'll find you can do a lot more weight too.

plouffe, yes, my legs are stronger.. i know deadlifts involves legs but my legs don't limit me, my grip and back do.. that's all im saying.. im talkin about myself, not about people in general.. and im talkin about sets and reps.. my grip gives and that's becuase i do no direct forearm training (which i need to start doing).. i squat 425 and deadlift 405 for reps, so yes, i squat more than i deadlift.. also, i started doing deadlifts 2 months ago.. i think we just misunderstood each other.. cuz im not even questioning your advice

Okay, im skipping today's workout (another only deadlift routine). And will make it up on Saturday so i'll be allowed to use all the work outs you all have recommended. I'll tell you how things go and if my deadlift approves any.

I max out next week! Thanks for the help.

Are you built for the deadlift? Also, what is the rep cadence that you are using? And, does your coach know what he is doing; that is, are you coached to use proper deadlift technique?

Built for the deadlift: Long arms, short legs.

Dont forget strong abs are a must.

In that case, yes, i'm built for the deadlift. I'm pretty short and do have strong abs, but it's just that my body isn't used to this excercise. I haven't ever started until this year...i'm hoping after a while my body will stop being shocked by deadlifting like it does on most excercises.

My deadlift routine is at the top of this topic (reps and sets). I HOPE my coach knows what he is doing, and would like to think so. :p And he has been helping me with my form.

I'd like to thank everyone who gave me advice on this thread. It really helped! We maxed out today, here are my results:

(Keep in mind im competing in the 114 weght class)

Bench Press
Squat
DEADLIFT
310 --- as you can see your advice on form REALLY helped out. I got closed to tieing or breaking the state records in everything today. :D This was definetly a personal best. Thanks again guys!

IML Gear Cream!
congradulations, glad to see you are doing o well, keep up the good work

Originally posted by Deeznuts
Bench Press
Squat
DEADLIFT
310 --- as you can see your advice on form REALLY helped out. I got closed to tieing or breaking the state records in everything today. :D This was definetly a personal best. Thanks again guys!

Congratulations on your success. :thumb: :thumb:

If you're serious about powerlifting, try this site:

http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/trainordie/

Back