• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

cutting and cardio ?

supertech

American BadAss
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm going to start cutting using a 40/40/20 split,at 13 calories per pound of body weight. Using this formula I come up with about 247 grams of carbs and 54 grams of fat that I need to consume a day, split up between 7 meals a day.
My question is this, Is it okay to have about 90 percent of my carbs and fat in my first 3 meals of the day.
Also how much cardio a week and on what exercise equipment do you recomend for losing fat while maintaining muscle.
I am 32yrs old, 5'6 at 191 lbs ,I carry most of my fat around my waist. Lift 4 times a week,working each body part once a week.
Any comments and advice will be appreciated.

Originally posted by supertech
My question is this, Is it okay to have about 90 percent of my carbs and fat in my first 3 meals of the day.
I believe it's better to equally distribute your carbs and fat intake throughout all your meals. Just try not to eat right before bed. Carbs before bed will be stored as fat.

Also how much cardio a week and on what exercise equipment do you recomend for losing fat while maintaining muscle.
HIT or HIIT are the best cardios to get into shape. If you want to maintain muscle running long distance proably isnt the way to go.

Hope that helps.. I'm sure the pros here will be able to help you more though.

When cutting the last carbs I eat are at 1pm, except for the carbs I get from my recovery drink which I start drinking half way thru my work-out at around 6pm.

Personally, I would have a hard time getting cut eating 40% carbs, but that is just me.

I walk and do some HIIT cardio.

Carbs before bed are fine if they are within your meal plan. I personally find it best to eat the majority of your carbs before and after your workout.

2 20 min. HIIT sessions and 1 30 min. traditional cardio per week is plenty.

Originally posted by Jodi
Carbs before bed are fine if they are within your meal plan. I personally find it best to eat the majority of your carbs before and after your workout.

2 20 min. HIIT sessions and 1 30 min. traditional cardio per week is plenty.

Jodi, can we extrapolate from from the statement above that you would reccomend very low carbs on non-workout days?

Yeah, what Jodi said is good. I may even start with one 15 min. HIIT session and one 30min traditional session per week and then progress to that but that is just me. If I start out with to much cardio I start shrinking.

how much more catabolic is a 30 minute cardio session vs a 20 min HIT session?

Originally posted by HoldDaMayo
how much more catabolic is a 30 minute cardio session vs a 20 min HIT session?

Don't really know how anyone would even know an answer to that. Or how you would even go about figuring it out sinec we are all different and respond differently to variuos forms of training stimuli.

I realise that it would be impossible to determine an exact answer... I feel I'm getting the most effective cardio sessions going pretty hard for 30 mins about 2-3 times a week... I just don't wanna be catabolizing too much muscle mass, especially if my calories are down on a cutting cycle... while bulking, i don't do any cardio...

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Prince
let's remember that this is not a canned way of doing cardio that will work for everyone. :)
I know ;) I don't do any :laugh:

mayo i do 30 minute sessions if your muscles start burning you are going to hard. nice moderate or high moderate pace is fine 3 times a week. IMO

I don't do any cardio, cutting or bulking, unless it's the last month of a cut, in which case I implement HIIT. Training intensely with weights and tweaking your diet will have you dropping fat with no extra effort.

Peace.

^^ I don't find it so much overrated as highly addictive...once I start HIIT I really start to love the punishment and end up going every day when I wake up in the morning. HIIT really strips the fat off, but I ended up doing too much and losing too much muscle.

Peace.

Originally posted by Premo55
^^ I don't find it so much overrated as highly addictive...once I start HIIT I really start to love the punishment and end up going every day when I wake up in the morning.

Your sick! :p

Originally posted by Jodi

I workout in the morning. For the lack of an appetitite i will have an Eas mrp with a scoop of optimum glycoload. Then have my workout followed by my post workout drink with 40 grams of whey and another scoop of glycoload. About an hour later i will have a bowl of oatmeal and egg whites.
So would this be okay as for most of my carbs for the day then the rest of my meals be a lean protein source.

Originally posted by Prince
(Personally, I would have a hard time getting cut eating 40% carbs, but that is just me.)

Maybe I should try about 20% carbs,50% protein, and 30% fat.

Maybe I should try about 20% carbs,50% protein, and 30% fat.
Try 40% first before thinking it won't work. I use to think I couldn't get cut eating alot of carbs to but I found out I was wrong. We are all different, try different ways and find what works for you.

If I'm not mistaken, glycoload is a high glycemic glucose or dextrose based carbohydrate source. NOT a choice you should be making during a cutting phase, insulin spikes and sugar are a NO-NO. Stick to grains and sweet potatoes.

Peace.

run things in phases for 4 weeks then switch I start people out with 40/40/20 and then I raise protein as carbs start to drop. keep cardio in becuase not only is it good for your heart but it will help to lean you out as well. don't make mistake I did of dropping caloires to low and pullingback on cardio bcuase you are tinkering with shutting your thyroid down. Next time I diet cardio is going to be 5-6 days a week plus my caloires wil be a hell of a lot higher !!

Thanks for your replies, found to be very useful info.I am going to do the 40/40/20 split with no cardio.My job is pretty much a ten hour cardio session as it is,So the higher carbs should help me with the energy needs.
So what is the most weight to loose a week,Is about 2 lbs on the safe side?

grrr at all u ppl who do little to no cardio!

<--so jealous

Originally posted by greekblondechic
grrr at all u ppl who do little to no cardio!

<--so jealous
Who says you have to do alot of cardio? I never do. I do some when I feel like it but the last time I did alot of cardio was 4 weeks out from my competition. Other than that. Little to no cardio for me :shrug: I do enjoy riding my bicycle though and now that I'm living in warm weather I will take advantage of that.

cardio is awesome, i actually feel like a lazy ass if i don't at least run about 10 miles a week, play some pickup basketball or bike around town. But me i'm sick, with an addiction to working out, even my "off days" consist of about a 30 minute bike ride around town, some ab work, and stretching, along with a walk to the beach or something.
Also i don't think cardio is overrated, because i like the feeling of not being gassed if i try to run after like 5 minutes, which i know some people are. Your lungs and your heart are also important bodyparts for you to work out, and nothing does it better than cardio sessions

Your lungs and your heart are also important bodyparts for you to work out, and nothing does it better than cardio sessions

Supersets and Trisets - And you've never worked out with me :p

Jodi... i sort of disagree... which i know I'm going to regret after your rebuttle... but... supersets and trisets will fatigue your muscles resulting in muscle failure preventing your heart and lungs from being continually pushed harder... also, supersets and trisets are very dependant on your workout facility... a very crowded gym makes this type of cardio impracticle...

To each his/her own ;) I seem to get a great cardio workout when I superset :)

Back