• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Anyone Work Nightshift ???

Art

As Vein As The Next Guy
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi Guys,
I think if you work nights, you generally have it harder than most
as far as any training goes.

I find myself waking up in the afternoon, and going to the gym
around 5pm, and then after only a short rest, I'm off to work at
9pm to start at 10pm.... finish at 6am, then in bed by 7am.

Is there any problem (other than being stuffed at work)
with training closer to the start of my day than the end?
In the morning I'm so buggered after work that I can't
imagine doing any training...
Cheers, Art.

I work 2nd shift (1:30-10pm) and usually workout around 9am. So, my workouts fit in to my work schedule similar to the way yours does. I dont think it matters what time of day you workout. Some love working out first thing in the morning, others prefer nighttime.

I prefer to workout at night(around 5pm ish)
I have a schedule similar to Var's. I get to work at 2:30pm and finish at 11:30pm. So I hit the gym at 10:30 every morning.

I love morning workouts, but I need a little something to get me going. Used to live on ECA. :D

I woudl like morning workouts better if I could get more sleep lol. I also have to go right after I eat(1 hr) so im low on energy most of the time... sucks!

I down a protein shake when I wake up (around 8-830), take a shower, and head to the gym. Preworkout stimulant is key though. Even if its just a couple cups of coffee.

Is that all you eat pre workout? I have been eating 1c oats, 3 Tbsp honey, and 1 scoop protein in 15 oz milk. But I still find myself lacking full energy. I also shower before I go.

I make my shake with 2 scoops ON powder, tbs flax, and milk. Sometimes I'll blend some oats in there too. I never get hungry during my workouts, but my appetite has never been to crazy.

Originally posted by Art
Hi Guys,
I think if you work nights, you generally have it harder than most
as far as any training goes.

I find myself waking up in the afternoon, and going to the gym
around 5pm, and then after only a short rest, I'm off to work at
9pm to start at 10pm.... finish at 6am, then in bed by 7am.

Is there any problem (other than being stuffed at work)
with training closer to the start of my day than the end?
In the morning I'm so buggered after work that I can't
imagine doing any training...
Cheers, Art.

I work 3rd and am writing this from work as a matter of fact. I work 7pm to 7am bed by 8:00-8:10 and up by 01:00pm. I train from 2:00 to 3:00pm then off to pick kids up from school by 3:15. So it isn't a fun thing let me tell you. I'm not a morning person and 1:00pm is morning for me. I'm really not all that awake by 2 so training on those days gets missed more often then on the other end of the week when I'm not at work. Luckily for me I only have to work 3 12 hour days a week so I get a good 4 days of normal life.

Damn, Firestorm...but 12 hour days can drain the life outa ya....

I read somewhere once that morning workouts were best, but the reason was because you'd keep the metabolism up moving so much the rest of the day. So it seems the same helps if you are working second or third shift. . .if there is any real value to it.

My own seem to fluctuate - I still take article assignments for a magazine, and that requires interviews at different time of the day. Then the preparations for my doctoral prelims eat up time, and every semester it seems like the University schedules me to teach classes at different times, so that can throw me off.

I seem to like mid-morning workouts when I can get there; second is early afternoon. Evenings are bad at a University gym - especially this time of year. Every undergrad starts cramming in there to try to get buff before hitting the Spring Break beaches.
I've tried the 5:30 a.m. workouts (when it opens)...love the quiet, but my body acts like it wants to boot my soul out of it for good and start throwing up green pea soup at every piece of equipment in sight.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by kbm8795
Damn, Firestorm...but 12 hour days can drain the life outa ya....

yes I can basically consider 3 days a week pretty much a wash. but I still get a long break. Better then 5 3rd shifts if you ask me.

I read somewhere once that morning workouts were best, but the reason was because you'd keep the metabolism up moving so much the rest of the day. So it seems the same helps if you are working second or third shift. . .if there is any real value to it.

You've read correctly but I'm just not a morning person. It is my opinion that mornings should be banned and everyday should "have" to start at noon. lol
My own seem to fluctuate - I still take article assignments for a magazine, and that requires interviews at different time of the day. Then the preparations for my doctoral prelims eat up time, and every semester it seems like the University schedules me to teach classes at different times, so that can throw me off.

busy life, hectic life and even though our tasks differ they equal in time consumed.
I seem to like mid-morning workouts when I can get there; second is early afternoon. Evenings are bad at a University gym - especially this time of year. Every undergrad starts cramming in there to try to get buff before hitting the Spring Break beaches.
I've tried the 5:30 a.m. workouts (when it opens)...love the quiet, but my body acts like it wants to boot my soul out of it for good and start throwing up green pea soup at every piece of equipment in sight.

Yep that is me too. I used to work at a Golds gym and had to be there at 5:00am to open. People would be waiting at the door for me to get there. I don't know how they did it. I wouldn't even turn the gym lights on, I tell the members to do it cause I had to make coffee. hahahahaha
I'd strut in the back with coffee in hand and watch people train. I liked that better then doing it myself at that time of the morning. I'd train at around 10:00am. On my days off these days, I go into the basement at different times. I have no set time other then saying I only train during day light hours. NEVER at night.

Hmm.. so I've just got to work on falling asleep at the wheel then ;) .... and putting in some effort at work,
since it literaly comes second :D
Art.

I'm really tired myself tonight ART. I'll tell you by 06:00am I'm hurting and can't WAIT to get the hell outta here. This whole night is going to suck since I'm tired already. 4 1/4, 5 hours of sleep on workdays just doesn't cut it for me anymore. When I was younger it was cake, not anymore!

I used to work night shift, I would go almost straight to the gym because if I didn't my body would start to get tired.

I'm in the same boat as firestorm, but I work 6pm - 6am.
I wake up by 1:30 - 1:45 and in the gym by 3:30, go home, shower adn then to work.
It does suck, as if I have something to do or wake up too late, I miss the workout. I don't have the same schedule as FS..so I do as I can..

Hmm sounds like we can keep one another company!! The Night Crew :)

I work 11p-7am and workout at 10am. I don't mind it sometimes I nap before I go sometimes not, just depends on whether or not I can get home and to the bed before 7:30 am.

The only reason I work out so late is because I'm in a bootcamp style class and its only offered at 6am or 10am. Once this is finished I will probably still lift in the morning right after work, and cardio if at all will be 3ish but most likely 9ish so I can get the energy for work.

**The only thing that is jacked for me is my diet I'm carb cycling and I run my days from 8am-8am as far as hi/low/no, b/c I don't get up or sleep consistently at all I'm more a power napper 3 hours here 2 hours there etc.

Your a better man then me senimoni, No way in hell I can workout after I get home. No freeken way.

damn straight!
it's also menatally tiring to be awake all night....
Now that I tink about it, I worked from 9pm - 6am 8hr shifts while in the military...I could lift after then in the morning then....

Originally posted by firestorm
Your a better man then me senimoni, No way in hell I can workout after I get home. No freeken way.

I hope not, considering I'm a WOman!! LMAO

But I get your point. I've always been a night (or day in this case) owl. Wayyyy more alert in evening/night than the morning. I must be the minority though.

In fact I argue sorta with my sister b/c we work the same shift and she wants to come home go to sleep, get up at 1-2pm and go to the gym. And I'd prefer to do the opposite. It takes me too long to wake up and I just don't have the mental energy to do it.

Originally posted by senimoni
hey..that sounds like out of Lord of the Rings III..
:D

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by senimoni

But I get your point. I've always been a night (or day in this case) owl. Wayyyy more alert in evening/night than the morning. I must be the minority though.

In fact I argue sorta with my sister b/c we work the same shift and she wants to come home go to sleep, get up at 1-2pm and go to the gym. And I'd prefer to do the opposite. It takes me too long to wake up and I just don't have the mental energy to do it.
Well WOman,, we can be the minority together because I'm exactly the same way. I'm a night person and always have been, even as a child. As a school kid my grades in any class before lunch really SUCKED. HAHAHAHAHA

senimoni , by the way if your a woman you must proove it by posting a picture. hahahahaha

oh lord not that again........just ask Babs, she met me!! I may join in on the IM comp but I'm (actually my stomach) is a little camera shy!

Oh pleeze S&M, you should have been around for the 1st pics we took!! I was 10times more resistant to having my pictures taken. What made it difficult for me was that my avitar was a pic of me "in" shape and looking rather good. Problem was that was prior to a major injury that sidelined me from the gym for approx a full year so I got what I considered WAY out of shape!!! I was so insecure with myself I've since removed that pic from my avi because that wasn't me anymore. Taking those pics after people had seen the good me was devistating to say the least but I did it anyway. Why? because those pics are now my motivation to be better. I still go in there and look at them just to remind myself that I want to be better then that. I want to show people the "good" me so I'm busting my ass to make those pics in there disappear and then Maybe be able to post a new pic of me in my avi and know that is me. So join the contest and post the pics. You only have a few days left so get on it and don't be a wimp.

Last edited:
Bloody hot one here last night!
almost 40 degrees C at work tires you real quick.
I'm feeling great when I wake up though.

I'm getting around 5 - 6 hrs sleep in the morning on workdays
if I leave the air conditioner on all the time.... more sleep would
be great, but what can ya do...

I don't mind the shcedule that I keep now,
just needed to know it it mattered when you train relative to sleep.
Cheers, A.

LoL. Bloody cold here... About -15c

that sounds cold....
It was - 3 F when I left for home this morning. The truck made some odd noise when I craked her up. It evidentally doens't care much for cold weather..

Colder where you live burner ;) Was 5 degrees F here. With wind chill prob a lot colder. Make sure you let the truck warmup in the morning. Cold starts can be hard on the engine too.

Back