• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Help with diet

Snivrad

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Trying to decide if I want to maintain or bulk

My long term goal is to gain 20 to 25lbs of muscle mass

I am 6 Ft. 170 lbs. Not fat but not skinny either, average build I guess
I am eating about 2500 cal. a day, and holding steady at 170 lbs Now if I eat the same amount of cal. but up my protein to about 250g would I gain muscle mass. Or would I stay the same weight and only get leaner.
Or do I have to bulk to gain the muscle mass that I want.

To gain weight you have to eat over caloric maintenace. If you are eating 2500cals now and staying the same that is about maintenace. If you add an additional 250g of protein you will gain weight because you are over eating. How many grams of protein are you eating now? carbs? fats? Are you sure you want to add that much more protein to your diet? What kind of foods you are eating.

About your decisions.....In my opinion (this is just my opinion) you are extremly skinny for your hight and if I were you I would definetly bulk up. If I were 6ft tall I would want to be at least 250lbs.....at least. Just my opinion though.

Agreed:thumb:

Someone please critique my diet. First of all, ive been cutting on and off for way too long (about a year and a half). I am about 11% BF at 5'11 and 200lbs. Ive reached a plateau, so im back and forth between refeeds/carbups every 4th day. The last 5 lbs of fat are extremely hard to take off of the upper thigh/lower abs for me. This weeks diet is as follows:
Mon, Tues, Wed (Low Carb Days)
Meal 1- Whey Protein Shake-1 Tbsp of Cod Liver Oil
Meal 2- 2 Turkey Burgers-Egg Whites-1Cup of Spinach
Meals 3-5 are almost the same as Meal 2
Meal 6- Whey Protein Shake-1Tbsp of Flax Oil
Approximate Totals per Day- 2700 cals 300 grams Protein 80 grams of Carbs 110 grams of Fat (Ive been known to dip as low as 30 carbs and 2000 cals)

Thursday (Typical Carb Up Day) is as follows:
Meal 1-Whey Protein Shake-1 Tbsp of Cod Liver Oil
Meal 2 -Whey Protein Shake-1 Minute Oats( I Microwave It)
Meals 3-5-Yams, Egg Whites, Low Fat Turkey Luncheon Meat, La Tortilla Low Carb Tortillas (3 Grams each), Whole Wheat Bread, Basmati Rice, Tuna in can, Chicken Breast, Veggies, 1 Glass of Red Wine(if I'm Good ;-))
Meal 6-Whey Protein-1Tbsp of Flax Oil
Approximate Totals per Day- 3800 Cals 500 Carbs 200 Protein 80 Fat

The alternate for that Carb Up Day is a refeed because im in a plateau from hell. A typical Refeed for me is as follows:
Meal 1-1 Minute Oats(microwaved) or Basmati Rice-Whey Protein Shake
Meal 2- Whole Wheat Ritz Crackers-Low Fat Clam Chowder-Bagel
Meal 3- Basmati Rice-Whey Protein Shake-Veggies
Meal 4-Same as Meal 2 w/ Veggies(if I can stomach veggies this day)
Meal 5-Lowfat Turkey Cold Cuts on Whole Wheat Bread Sandwiches-Basmati Rice-Whey Protein Shake-(thinking of adding a bit of no-fat/no sugar ice cream ;-))
Meal 6-Bagel-1 Tbsp of Natural Peanut Butter
Obviously the refeed is not supposed to a clean and I still debate on the post workout insulin spike, cause ive been avoiding sugar.
Approximate daily totals on refeeds-4400 cals 300 protein 650 carbs 63 fat
I need advice on which is better for a lean plateau guy like me. I train 5-6 a week and just stopped doing cardio. I was up to 6 hours of empty stomach cardio last week, but it didnt make me that much leaner in the lower abs. I will put up pics soon too.
Help Jodi or anyone? What do I need to put in or take out of diet?
Much Thanks!

couple questions:

a) how long have you been eating 2700 cals on your low carb days? how long have you been at these cals on the high carb day?

b) how long have been doing carb cycling?

c) why stop cardio? ofcourse it is not going to make you immediatly see any results in your lower abs. at 11% don't even worry about your lower stomach region. Just try and get under 10% first, the lower stomach area is usually the very last place to go when striving for ultimate leaness.

A)Been at 2700 only this week(around 2000 last week)
B)Been on and off carb cycles since July
C)Since im not under 11 or 12%, I feel diet is my problem, not cardio
Of course, starting a month ago, im getting cleaner with my diet and im willing to eliminate anything hurting my progress, so I know what my no nos are. I want to learn, so come summer, i can efficiently cut to 8-10%.

why more cals this week than last?

You have ben carb cycling since July so maybe it is time to try something else.....just a thought?

What does bf% have to do with cardio being the problem or not? Cardio is a tool that we can use to increase energy expenditure and place us in a greater caloric defecit.

You just started getting cleaner with you diet last month? It seems to me like things keep getting jumbled around and nothing is solid. maybe you just need more consistancy? Maybe 2700 cals is to high? If you have been dieting for a year and a half how many cals did you start your diet at, 5000?? You should have started high and slowly brought it down from there. It just looks to me like you are/have been shooting yourself in the foot somehow and need to get with one program and stick with it? What do you think?

Hey man, I'm 5'11 170 and I don't feel skinny. Blargh. I'm bulking again right now, though. Lower abs are really to do with genetics. For me I have them year round, even when I go up to as high as 12.5% (Don't know if I'd have them above that number because I've never really tried going above), when I gain weight it's the top two that disappear, and I gain fat around the lower back area easily. It's strange. Just clean up your diet, man, doing hellish cardio sessions never helped anyone.

Peace.

If anything I go too low on cals and carbs probably. You're right about sticking to one thing though too. Ive been maintaining 11-13% BF for a few months now. But need advice on what to stick to or what to eliminate to maximize results in the next 4 weeks to get some pictures done. I want to burn 6 lbs of fat which should dial me in around 9%.
My carb cycles havent been really without cheating the last few months. More of a lifestyle maintainance. Now im ready for the next level. Last weeks caloric deficit didnt help me much.

IML Gear Cream!
My best advice is do one thing and stick to it. How are you supposed to know what is wokring and what is not if you keep playing with things?? Take one thing, one idea and try it for 6 weeks, then try something else if you want or if that is going well do it until you exhaust its possibilities and then try something new. The best thing you can do is stay with one thing.

Originally posted by Muscleparasite
You are right Premo, cardio is hella overated.:dwnthumb:

Yeah it is. It's not good for your heart at all:no:

Originally posted by sentricyphen
cardio is not good for the heart?

I was being sarcastic.

Someone please critique my diet. First of all, ive been cutting on and off for way too long (about a year and a half). I am about 11% BF at 5'11 and 200lbs. Ive reached a plateau, so im back and forth between refeeds/carbups every 4th day. The last 5 lbs of fat are extremely hard to take off of the upper thigh/lower abs for me. This weeks diet is as follows:
Approximate Totals per Day- 2700 cals 300 grams Protein 80 grams of Carbs 110 grams of Fat (Ive been known to dip as low as 30 carbs and 2000 cals)

Meals 3-5-Yams, Egg Whites, Low Fat Turkey Luncheon Meat, La Tortilla Low Carb Tortillas (3 Grams each), Whole Wheat Bread, Basmati Rice, Tuna in can, Chicken Breast, Veggies, 1 Glass of Red Wine(if I'm Good ;-))

The alternate for that Carb Up Day is a refeed because im in a plateau from hell. A typical Refeed for me is as follows:
Meal 5-Lowfat Turkey Cold Cuts on Whole Wheat Bread Sandwiches-Basmati Rice-Whey Protein Shake-(thinking of adding a bit of no-fat/no sugar ice cream ;-))
Obviously the refeed is not supposed to a clean and I still debate on the post workout insulin spike, cause ive been avoiding sugar.
Approximate daily totals on refeeds-4400 cals 300 protein 650 carbs 63 fat
I need advice on which is better for a lean plateau guy like me. I train 5-6 a week and just stopped doing cardio. I was up to 6 hours of empty stomach cardio last week, but it didnt make me that much leaner in the lower abs. I will put up pics soon too.
Help Jodi or anyone? What do I need to put in or take out of diet?
Much Thanks!

Ok folks! , we are gonna see how lean I can get in 4 weeks starting tommorrow. I am 200lbs 5'11" and 13% BF. I have a photo shoot after this. Please feel free to critique this diet all you want, cause i'll be experimenting from week to week based on energy levels and results.
Cardio suggestions appreciated too.

Looks good except I would split your fat up aa bit so that more meals have some sort of fat to help slow down digestion.

Stick with Old Fashioned Oats - they only take 3 mins. to microwave instead of 1 and they are a whole lot better for you. Reconsider the deli turkey. Its full of sodium nitrates. Again distribute your fat a bit more as well

Ritz Crackers has Trans fat in them. Cold cuts have sodium nitrates. What does the low fat clam chowder have? I'm from Boston area and any chowda low fat has got to be freaking nasty :barf:

Back