• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cardio on a Bulk... when and how?

Tha Don

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I really want to start doing some cardio for fitness and just to stop my BF getting too high

I want to know when I should do cardio? (after exercise? on my rest days?)

and how should I do cardio? (normally I run, HIIT style for 10-15 mins, but maybe I should just ease it up a notch? how long?)

Also I am an ectomorph, and I know I need to keep cardio to a minimum if I want to put muscle on, but I feel really bad neglecting it, I totally lose my fitness if I stop all cardio, I believe everyone should do cardio all year round to keep fit and healthy, Arnie was big, but damm he could run too! (i watch too much running man :D)

peace

What I usually do is if i'm bulking i'll only do 2 days of cardio a week max. Most of the time it's one or none. HIIT style is a good choice and one I use because .... " i got this invisible juice and once i turn it on, i'm gone.''

If you have to do cardio just do 1 or 2 days a week preferably on non training days, but keep it to a minimum. Good luck.

Scott

Don't do it. Look at your diet and clean it up, or take calories down by 200 or so if you feel your BF is going out of control.

Peace.

You're an ectomorph that is bulking, yet your bf is getting too high and you want to do cardio?

Does anyone else see the irony in that?

as Premo55 said, adjust your diet, don't add cardio, at least not for that reason.

I am down to 6% bf right now after about 10 weeks of dieting, my cardio has been very limited and I do not even consider myself an ectomorph.

I think he understands the consequences of doing cardio and being an ectomorph. I'm not even an ecto, and I keep may cardio to 2 days per week (HIIT style) while I'm lifting. It just takes so much damned food to keep me gaining while I'm doing even 2 days of cardio.

However, I would definitely love to do more cardio. I used to do 3 x 50 minute jogs per week (5-6 mile range) when I first started lifting again and it made me feel great. I really enjoy running. I'm just willing to trade that joy for the joy of getting strong and more muscular.

Originally posted by Chad Cena III
What I usually do is if i'm bulking i'll only do 2 days of cardio a week max. Most of the time it's one or none. HIIT style is a good choice and one I use because .... " i got this invisible juice and once i turn it on, i'm gone.''

haha

wordlife bro... u gotta 'introduce the invisible juice'

damm i just saw no way out... the best match by far was the cena/angle/show... damm how can Cena not get a title shot? hes kicking ass on smackdown!

and prince, yes i'm ecto... but i want to stay lean, its all about the cuts and the abs, plus i play basketball, i'm taking a year off from playing to get bigger and fitter

what i'm trying to say is if i must run! when can i do it and minimise the chance of it interfereing with my muscle gain

on rest days or after weights? and how much is too much?

peace

If you care about your abs so much, you're never going to gain any weight. What is wrong with you people who think you can stay at below 10% and get huge simultaneously, just keep eating until you gain quality mass, but not to the point where you're gaining more BF than you would like. Find out what caloric threshold yields mass and minimal fat gains for you. I think you have to come to terms with the fact that you WILL gain fat while you bulk, I don't think cardio is the answer because wasting calories is counterproductive to mass gain, and may even sacrifice LBM. Just play with your calories, seriously.

Peace.

cardio... by definition, is training of the heart... you don't want this... you want calorie burning.... why not just walk 3 times a week... walking will not cause you to lose muscle mass... try 3 times a week at 30 mins each, and add some incline to create a little additional difficulty...

IML Gear Cream!
i'd say 20 minutes of cardio is approx 300 cals burned (at moderate to high intensity)

how much would you have to do weights wise in order to burn off around 300 cals?

just something i've always wondered....

Originally posted by young d
haha

wordlife bro... u gotta 'introduce the invisible juice'

damm i just saw no way out... the best match by far was the cena/angle/show... damm how can Cena not get a title shot? hes kicking ass on smackdown!

and prince, yes i'm ecto... but i want to stay lean, its all about the cuts and the abs, plus i play basketball, i'm taking a year off from playing to get bigger and fitter

what i'm trying to say is if i must run! when can i do it and minimise the chance of it interfereing with my muscle gain

on rest days or after weights? and how much is too much?

peace

Just don't run on the same days you lift. As well, leave at least one day per week of complete inactivity in terms of exercise. Try to keep your cardio at 1-2 days per week.

Originally posted by Prince
cardio is overrated and completely misunderstood anyway.

most people do not understand that your heart gets "trained" just as much from anaerobic exercise.

You're speaking only in the context of bodybuilding... Cardio trains the heart in a VASTLY different way then anaerobic exercise will... There are tons of examples... I'm assuming you're speaking about bodybuilding only here...

you can get yourself in a lot less trouble by doing too much cardio then doing too much dieting...

There is nothing wrong with cardio, it's a great tool for adjusting your weight without adjusting a balanced diet...

And, there is no problem with doing exercise simply for the calories you burn while doing it... it doesn't harm you in the least and those calories do in fact add up...

Originally posted by HoldDaMayo
You're speaking only in the context of bodybuilding... Cardio trains the heart in a VASTLY different way then anaerobic exercise will... There are tons of examples... I'm assuming you're speaking about bodybuilding only here...

you can get yourself in a lot less trouble by doing too much cardio then doing too much dieting...

There is nothing wrong with cardio, it's a great tool for adjusting your weight without adjusting a balanced diet...

And, there is no problem with doing exercise simply for the calories you burn while doing it... it doesn't harm you in the least and those calories do in fact add up...

:thumb: thumbs up for some cardio from me too.

Originally posted by CowPimp
Just don't run on the same days you lift. As well, leave at least one day per week of complete inactivity in terms of exercise. Try to keep your cardio at 1-2 days per week.

thanks man

u know what i'm talkin about

cardio is great, i did a session today and i really stuggled, i felt heavy and lost breath after 8 mins of HIIT style running, whilst cutting i could hit 14-15 mins

That is indication that I can't run as well, and i am less fit... I want to be fit and have strong lungs + heart, even if it means that i lose a couple lbs of LBM, it will probably also cut off twice that in fat weight, so i'll be looking better and feeling better/fitter!

i think its unhealthy to neglect cardio, i don't want the fat loss benefits i'm after the fitness benefits mainly! cutting my cals ain't gonna help

i will do 2 sessions of cardio a week on non-training days and see how it goes, i can always cut out my cardio in the last month of my bulk in an effort to put on all the weight i can, but as an ectomorph i'm pretty skinny... if i put on fat and start looking unhealthy i'm f*cked, i don't mind if i'm a lil on the slim side coz i'm used to that, i'll never be massive so why spend my whole life trying to get a body i won't get, i should focus on my good points - being lean and fit

peace

Originally posted by Premo55
If you care about your abs so much, you're never going to gain any weight. What is wrong with you people who think you can stay at below 10% and get huge simultaneously
Peace.

cant u just eat a lot of good food...i mean a lot...while also run 3x a week and lift....so u can keep ure bf% low while gaining muscle mass? What im talkin about is gainin weight by gainin as little fat as possible?

Originally posted by young d
That is indication that I can't run as well, and i am less fit... I want to be fit and have strong lungs + heart, even if it means that i lose a couple lbs of LBM, it will probably also cut off twice that in fat weight, so i'll be looking better and feeling better/fitter!

I definitely know how you feel. I have been neglecting cardio lately myself. I've only been doing 1 day a week the past couple of weeks. I used to jog about 15 miles a week (5 miles x 3 jogs). I felt so great. I'm adding my additional cardio day back this week.

Also, I've stared doing solid 10+ minute runs right before lifting as a warmup. I think at 4 times a week it will make somewhat of a difference. You might want to consider doing that as well.

Back