• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Close Grip Benchpress

plouffe

is bulking
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
How many inches do you keep inbetween your hands while doing CG Benchpress. ( For Triceps ) And How do you keep your wrists from becoming strained. Thanks.

There are two main grips I use. One grip is about 8 inches apart. The other is about thumbs apart. I always use a cambered bar to help with the wrist pain.

Yeah. I should have thought about that, It'd be weird to throw like 150+ on a cambered bar. I'll try it the next time I go the the gym tho.

I love close grip bench using a regular Olympic bar. Thumbs apart spacing is the correct way, but from your post I suspect you have too much wrist pain with that spacing, as do I.

I like to go with a 9"-10" spacing, with a thumbless grip and go a bit heavier. Honestly, anything inside of the shoulder width will strongly stress your tri's.

I go with what feels comfortable, which is probably around 8 inches.

I usually do close-grip benches after I finish each set of tricep extensions using the curl bar inside grips. It's a really good way to superset for triceps.

Maybe you should post that in the " Sexual Health " Forums Mudge. Hehe.

Just Playing, I think i'll try the cambered bar and see how that goes.

As long as you keep your elbows to your sides it will keep the stress on your tris. I keep my hands about shoulderwith. Just don't let your elbows flair out that is when the chest comes in most. IMO

i do diamond push ups and incline push ups !!

I just did some today on the smith machine with my hands about 4 inches apart. It's way closer than i normally do, but it was on the smith, so i didnt have to worry about balancing the weight. There was some slight wrist pain, but not too bad. I really liked it actually, with my normal CG hand distance of like 6-8 inches, i was still getting a pretty good pump in my chest. 4 inches apart i didnt.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by plouffe
Maybe you should post that in the " Sexual Health " Forums Mudge. Hehe.

Ho ho, ho. Nice one.

I haven't used the cambered bar and really dont think its a great idea, but thats JMO.

Originally posted by scottrtrout
As long as you keep your elbows to your sides it will keep the stress on your tris. I keep my hands about shoulderwith. Just don't let your elbows flair out that is when the chest comes in most. IMO

yep - that works for me. my wrists kill when i go too close but i can go wider (i like a suicide/thumbless grip) and still hit triceps as long as i keep my elbows in tight to my sides the whole time.

wrists don't hurt that way.

i've never tried the cambered bar - bet that helps. :thumb:

Originally posted by nikegurl
yep - that works for me. my wrists kill when i go too close but i can go wider (i like a suicide/thumbless grip) and still hit triceps as long as i keep my elbows in tight to my sides the whole time.

wrists don't hurt that way.

I like suicide grip as well. I use it for most all my pressing movments. Well exept dumbell.

I would estimate that I keep my hands about 8 inches apart. If you have broad shoulders, and therefore your arms are further apart, then you need a wider grip to stay comfortable.

I used to keep my hand thumbs width apart but it would work hell on my wrists....so not i keep em just alittle under shoulder width..so when at the bottom of the rep, when the bar is touching me, my hands are snugly beside me

Originally posted by nikegurl

Now I see what was meant. I know that palms facing dumbell presses kill my triceps and hardly tax my chest at all. Overall triceps seem to get hit very hard from dumbell movements so I dont do them hardly ever any longer.

Originally posted by Mudge
Now I see what was meant. I know that palms facing dumbell presses kill my triceps and hardly tax my chest at all. Overall triceps seem to get hit very hard from dumbell movements so I dont do them hardly ever any longer.

I just recently started doing dumbell benchpress. I know exactly what you are talking about. I try to make the dumbells touch a little higher on my chest than the bar would to help keep my grip wider and focus more on my chest.

Originally posted by BigBallaGA
i do diamond push ups and incline push ups !!
Good man! I do diamond pushups as a finishing movement for tri's. I'm surprised more people don't do these.

Did my share in the Army :)

I have always had trouble keeping my elbows in and I usually feel straing on my wrists.

Something keeps me from using proper form with CG bench presses...

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Mr_Snafu
I have always had trouble keeping my elbows in and I usually feel straing on my wrists.

i'd suggest dropping the weight WAY down for a minute. make it ridiculously light for you and keep the elbows in so you can feel proper form. then add weight 'til you find you're not using proper form anymore, dial it back a bit and go from there.

I go with what feels comfortable, which is probably around 8 inches.

Same here.

Originally posted by Mr_Snafu

how are you holding the bar in relation to your wrists?

Originally posted by JerseyDevil
Good man! I do diamond pushups as a finishing movement for tri's. I'm surprised more people don't do these.

500 pushups, sounds interesting.

With CG benches go LOW on the chest just like a real bench, and keep the wrists apart however it feels comfortable. If you are hitting nipple level you are going too high IMO.

500 pushups, sounds interesting.

With CG benches go LOW on the chest just like a real bench, and keep the wrists apart however it feels comfortable. If you are hitting nipple level you are going too high IMO.

Really? I've always gone higher... nip or a little above. If i go lower it really nails my front delts. Could also be because i typically use the smith machine for cg presses...

Whatever works for you, it is true we are built differently, arm length and so on. If I used a light weight and went slow I could see doing that, but I CG with 275 for my heavy sets, I go low just like a real bench.

Whatever works for you, it is true we are built differently, arm length and so on. If I used a light weight and went slow I could see doing that, but I CG with 275 for my heavy sets, I go low just like a real bench.

I agree with your placement of the bar during CG benchpresses. I usually touch about the same place that I do with my standard becnhpress. However, I can also see the need to hit your chest higher if your body is built differently.

I go high on inclines, only though.

How's Basic Training / Boot Camp? I'm really interested in the Navy. Alot of awesome benifits.

Back