• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Questions and concerns about my diet

mpotok

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey guys, I just want to say these forums are awsome. I never took the time untill recently to read forums on nutrition, diet, and training. In the last month I have learned more off these forums then I have had in five years in the gym and talkign to friends who I thought would of told me some of what I have recently learned. About 5 years ago I went from 330 (BF% ?) to 210 (BF% 13) pounds (ht of 5'11'' w/ a larger frame) in about 18 month just from lifting, football, rugby, and diet. About two years ago when I hit 210 ish, I decided to bulk and in the processes put on alot of weight fast.. I got up to about 225 in 2 months and then had to stop due to work and school realted issues (hardest classes for chemical engineering and worked 30 hours plus a week). I still dieted but the weight would just keep comming on over the next year or so. (BTW I never ever counted calories untill recently.. just was really conscous about what I ate) I got up to 255 pound about 22 % BF with little to no working out and spurts of cardio when I had time (meybe 2 times a week at most). Then I came across this website and started to read the post and took in all the information and been trying to apply it to the best of my knowledge.

Lifting for fat lose 4 times and useing the elipitcal 30 min 4 to 5 times a week (considering HIIT soon) so far this is what has happened... gained 5 pounds first 2 weeks, so then I decided to count calories at fitday.com, since then I been averaging 1800 calories a day at a ratio of 50/30/20 (p/c/f) been about 3 weeks my weight has spurted up and down(inbetween 253 to 257) but my bodyfat is down to about 19-20 %(mybodycomp.com), and it is noticable to me. I guess this is a really long question, considering my previous history and that my family has really good genetics is this normal. I am a bit confused and would like to know if I am going in the wrong direction with my diet, since I now realize how important it is and can me. Here is a example of what I eat.

My Diet:

meal 1
4 eggbeater whites w/ 1 large egg
1/2 cup of oat meal or kashi good friends cerial w/ skim milk

meal 2
to be honest :(.. really busy usally a can of albratrose or tuna in water

meal 3
chicken breast/salmon/garbenburger with 2 servings of broccoli or brussel sprouts and sometimes eat as a sandwish with whole ground wheat breat

meal 4 (preworkout 30-60 min)
so far what has worked best for energy during workout has been a can of tuna and a gardenburger sandwhich on the same bread as above (I try to take in carbs here that I have around)

meal 5 (post workout 45 to 60 min)
same as meal 3 but little no nop carbs unless the are fibourous veggies

meal 6
LFCC and a protein shake

My Concerns:

-Since I work alot and with school sometimes I sleep in and wake up so late in the day I skip meal 2, which I probly do often becuase I jsut dont have time in the day for 6 meals. best advice here?

-my sodium intake is often around 4000 mg a day due to eggbeaters, tuna, occasional gardenburger, and sometimes I tend to make healthy dishes and meals but seem to use high salt
canned or bagged food.. what is a good sodium range?

-my sugar intake i have some old food I am tryign to get rid of that is health but have a higher then desirable sugar content (like instant oatmeal.. i already for the old fashion ready to go), and I use skim milk, etc.. what should be the range of suger I shoudl take in and optimal times ?

-also I found that since some days I skip a meal my calories range from 1300 to 2000 diffrent days of the week for a 1800 average.. how bad is that on my body and how does it effect it.

-other concerns are in my diet.. i know of a few suggestion.. but I am not 100 % confident in my ability as of yet. A hardcore crtique would be apprciated. My final goal is to get to about 8 to 10 % BF the correct way with a good diet and hardwork.

I would appricate and help and sorry about the lengthy post I guess it is the enginner in me trying to get everyhting out there for the whole story. :)
Thx alot,
Matt Potok

Hi Matt!
a few suggestion that I might make
first off for you height and weight, you are not eating ENOUGH. you are going to risk throwing your body into starvation mode.
you need 11-12x bodyweight for calories. 1800 is too low for someone as yourself. this could be why your weight is jumping up and down.
-I would suggest cutting out the bread, its far too procressed. substiute it for brown or wild rice or sweet potatoes(yumm) or more old fashioned oatmeal.
-its good to see that you are getting in fiberous veggies, lay them to you! you can never eat too many!
-as for the sodium- try rinsing your tuna under water for a minute to help rid of the excess.
-as for post workout.. NO fiberous veggies.. and you MUST have carbs. again stick with the ones that I mentioned above. along with that a protein shake(just whey protein) would be great.
-Im not seeing any healthy fats in your diet. these are a must for numerous reasons. (check stickies at the top of the forum). Id suggest getting some fish oil caps and adding in at least another tbls. of healthy fats such as olive oil, hemp oil, flax oil, natural peanut butter, nuts/seeds(in moderation).
- as for sweetening your oatmeal-you could add some splenda and cinnamon/vanilla extract or a few berries or some even add whey protein to their oats.
-how much water are you drinking/day?
-how far before bed is your last meal - as you dont have to worry about not eating before bed. having lean protein, healthy fats and fiberous veggies is perfect.

-I would suggest HIIT cardio 3x week. and stick to lifting heavy and intense. from there you can tweak as needed.

lol.. whoops ya I eat seagull.... they taste like chicken... mmmm chicken... It was close enough.. to the right word.. hmmm

I drink about 1.5 to 2 gallons of water a day

my last meal always kills me.. i need to be in bed by 1 am i am usally easting it at 1130 to 12 ish and I find it hard to sleep... so I usally dont fall asleep till 2 am ish and wake up at 10 or 11 instead of 9 like I need to (very often happens) and weekends I jsut dont set my alarm in bed by 3 am ish up at 12. kinda disturbing me thinks.... hehe bad sleeping patterns

I was thinking the 1 meybe 2 serving of fish aday would meet my needs for healthy fat.. but I also recently read here needs to be spread out over the day as well... somehting liek 15 g of healthy fat.. ?? and yes I have read the healthy fat forum..

also what sodium levels should I stay around in mg.. I am gettign strict on it.. I have always been able to tell if I take to much sodium in and since I started to get stricter on my diet, to me it feels I am getting to much.. just would like a taget number.. the same goes for sugars..

I do like bread.. i usually dont exceed a few slices a day.. those other carbs I absolutly love as well so it wont be to much of a big deal for me to switch up.. I will start to do that when my current resources go dry.

as for my calorie intake.. 1800 is tough for me as it is (I know BMR is diffrent from person to person and situation to situation I try to get a rough estimate of mine I have found websites that range from 2400 to 2800 for me)... eating 5 or 6 times a day i am not hungry half the day to be honest.. but I eat anyways... i am guessing if I take more complex carbs in instead of bread and some more healthy fats I could jump 1800 calories to over 2 K quickly.. without changing to much in my diet.. but then my carb count will go up a little.. but I am guessing 40/40/20 is still optimum over my 50/30/20.. but I guess I need to find out what works best for me.. although I agree and will try it definatly

also how bad of a effect on your body and metabolism is it if you are constatly changing your calorie intake day to day.. does it shock your body in postive or negative way.. or both...

what is recomend for how many carbs/protien post and pre workout.. i have notice depending on food I eat how my energy levels are before my workout and for the many hours after but havnt pinpointed yet what works for me...

anyways thx alot jen ya have helped many people in this forum and now me. I appricate it greatly. I am a extreamly quick learner and I threw this all together awfully fast just by reading post for a few weeks here. I am starting to understand how some of these foods I eat effect my day and workout from actually toying with my diet. Pretty amazing I think. I will switch things on your suggestions and see how it effects me in general with my goals and daily routines.

you eat seagull? those dirty p00pers? :eek:
but then again I eat ruffled grouse(partridge). and my sister in Texas say they eat dove! poor pretty birds! LOL

-thats defintly enough water

-hmmm try something light before bed then. nothing too filling that will prevent you from not sleeping. about an hour prior is good. how about a can of tuna with some olive oil added in. thats easy on the tummy. or cottage cheese with natural peanut butter added. what do you do before bed too.. that will effect your sleep. try and stay relaxed and in a quiet setting. also you could look into a nightime tea(at the grocery stores) to help calm and make you sleepy.

-1 or 2 servings of fatty fish/day isnt reccomended for the reason that fish can be contaminated with PCB's, toxins and mercury which are harmful to your health. by simply adding in 2 tablespoons of healthy fats you are set. I prefer to not mix my fat and carb meals. meaning that my last 2 meals are usually just lean protein, fiberous veggies and healthy fats. unless yo train in the evening, then just add othertimes in the day.

-its reccomended to stay under 2400mg of sodium each day. by simply rinsing tuna/cottage cheese under water you can eliminate half of their content if you dont purchase the low sodium. also try and stay away from canned vegetables, fresh produce is much better for you(and defintly less sodium)

-once your bread runs out, dont buy more then. and switch to the more cleaner sources as I mentioned before(glad you like them!)

- by adding in more healthy fats and increase a lil bit in the complex carbs it will help to bring your calorie intake up some, which I highly reccomend that you do. and you are right, you will have to see what ratio works for you, everyone is different and you can tweak as you feel needed.

- by varying your calorie intake each day are keep your metabolism stoked and not adjusting to one setpoint. this is also wise decision when dieting. Even maintaining though, I consume more calories on training days, vs. rest days.

-preworkout you should go with lean protein and complex carbs. I would suggest 1-1.5 hrs prior.
post workout (immediatly following training) aim for 0.4g protein/kg bodyweight. carbs will depend on your goals. 0.7-0.8g/kg bodyweight is a good ratio. again, no fats in this meal either.

Best of luck!! :) hope that helped some

thx alot jen thx for the help...

I went out today and bought alot of good stuff.. got some efa's and some complex carbs.. actually cooking my rice for the next few days atm. I am going to give it a week or so to get use to the preparation and toteing of the food, and upping both my carbs and calories.
I got my carbs up to almsot 40 %( from previous 25 to 30 % before) today, and boy do I feel a diffrence in my workout and energy. I think I am goign to keep it around 40 % for awhile or meybe do some cycleing liek 2 on 1 off.. etc. (i read alot of info on this on this site and others).
I am soooo use to always being hungry, but the last 2 weeks with 5 to 6 meals a day I am alsmost never hungry now.. pretty crazy for me not to be hungry. Thinkign about 2200 calories in clean food sounds like alot to me, but will try to get up there by the end of the week from 1800 ish. My daily meal plan for the week is between 2000 and 2200 ish atm. See how that works and take it form there.

I appricate your help jen and thx.
Matt

Your very welcome Matt :) dont a problem at all, Im so impressed to hear that you are making the right choices for improvments! Best of luck with it and keep us updated on how it goes over!

Back