• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Side effects of protein power

bobz

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have noticed that when i use protein powders mor than 1-2 times a day thatm i seem to get a lot of pimples on my face and back, does this happen to anyone else or could it be that it isnt even from the protein powder.
I need to take in a lot of protein for in order to bulk up however i am a bit skeptical because of this small proplem.

protein does not cause pimples, it is from something else. most likely from changes in your endocrine system from training

Re: Side affetcs of protein power

Originally posted by bobz
I have noticed that when i use protein powders mor than 1-2 times a day thatm i seem to get a lot of pimples on my face and back, does this happen to anyone else or could it be that it isnt even from the protein powder.
I need to take in a lot of protein for in order to bulk up however i am a bit skeptical because of this small proplem.

Try changing from chocolate to vanilla. Chocolate is known to cause acne for some individuals.
OD

Re: Re: Re: Side affetcs of protein power

Originally posted by Prince
I thought that was a myth?

No, definately not a myth. It used to be that if I ate something very chocolately I would break out for a month. Accutaine took care of that problem.

Re: Re: Re: Side affetcs of protein power

Originally posted by Prince
I thought that was a myth?

so did i!

maybe that's why i have acne on my back still....i eat choc. whey like its going out of style.

The problem with those "myths" is they are true for many teens. I think marketers with an alternative agenda, i.e. selling cleansers and prescriptions, have perpetuated these stories.

I've read many articles that said diet doesn't affect acne. Well, even on this board there is a lot of anecdotal evidence about the connection between diet and oily skin.

Ask a dermatologist who specializes in acne treatment and isn't bankrolled by a drug company (hard to find these days). Cutting out milk and chocalate products is one of the things they tell you.

Other things they say to cut out include caffiene.

I honestly don't think it's the chocolate in the shakes, though, b/c you're only getting coco and sweetner, not the typical mixture of sat fats and other things.

I think you're experiencing more pimples b/c, like LAM said, your training and positive nitrogen balance vis-a-vis more timely protein synthesis is causing anabolic changes in you system.

Interesting info about chocolate:
Among it's many other constituents, Chocolate has been found to contain substances called Phenylethylamine and Serotonin, both of which (put simply), are mood lifting agents. Both occur naturally in the human brain and are released by the brain into the nervous system when we are happy and also when we are experiencing feelings of love, passion and/or (dare I say it?) lust. This causes a rapid mood change, a rise in blood pressure, increasing the heart rate and inducing those feelings of well being, bordering on euphoria usually associated with being in love.

Eating chocolate also releases Phenylethylamine and Serotonin into the system, producing those same euphoric effects. This phenomenon has been scientifically observed, so it's not unreasonable to assume that it's probably these effects which gave rise to chocolates reputation as an aphrodisiac. Both these substances can also be mildly addictive, explaining why chocoholics are chocoholics. Plus eating Chocolate gives an immediate and substantial energy boost thus increasing stamina.

IT IS A MYTH...there is absolutely no cause and effect relationship between chocolate and acne....this is a scientifically proven FACT!

Originally posted by Fit Freak
IT IS A MYTH...there is absolutely no cause and effect relationship between chocolate and acne....this is a scientifically proven FACT!
I heard that was a myth as well.

The only side effect from protein that I am aware of............:fart:

The only side effect I know of Protein is bigger muscles.

IML Gear Cream!
Look, if you think diet doesn't affect skin oils, or production of hormones, why do you spend so much time trying to precipitate an anabolic condition via diet?

We have seen through numerous studies that Hormone levels directly influence acne, and changes in diet have a direct influence on hormone levels. We also know that Chocolate increases seratonin release, and is high in fat and cholesterol (the building block of all androgens), among other things. The complete bioactivity and metabolic breakdown is unknown, and there is much variation among the levels of ingredients.

I'm a firm believer in science, but I also know when to listen to my body and beleive what I see. I appreciate your candor in informing me that diet has no effect on skin, but I feel 100% the opposite, and have personally witnessed this.

Sure, if you search on yahoo for Chocolate and Acne, you'll find quotes saying its a myth. But there are tons of other "myths" that you all willing disbelieve, because you've personally seen a different case. Just as an example, many people (and most scientists) still believe topical fat loss gels are a myth, yet we have hundreds of anecdotal examples that say otherwise.

Further, to say its a "scientifically proven fact," makes you sound like a reporter and not a scientist, and leads me to believe you have an incomplete understandng of the fundamental philosophy on which science is built, that being the Cartesian method of doubt. Science and theories are always open to verification and rebuttal. The first thing you learn in science is the differnce between a hypothesis, a theory, and a law. Becoming immune to new evidence or knowledge is antithetical to the scientific method, so pretending like you have a 100% certain answer to a question that studies themselves leave room for interpretation on (in other words, acting like a reporter who searches for silver bullet headlines) helps no one.

We're hijacking this thread, though--it's about protein causing zits, not chocolate. We should take this elsewhere or start a new thread in the diet/nutrition section.

Geeze everyone ... seems like it would be pretty simple to just go buy a canister of vanilla flavored protein and see if the condition goes away...

But for the record I agree completely with brodua. Common sense dictates that anything you ingest has some relationship to hormone levels (insulin is a hormone btw). Higher intensity of training also can radically effect body chemistry. Statisticians may argue that it is not statistically significant about chocolate (or any other thing) but there is always a degree of "uncertainity" in any scientific finding and I have come to believe that there are absolutely NO absolutes that I know of in science (ref. heizenberg).

I will also report that when I initially got very serious into body transformation from a previous overweight state that I routinely had small zits and skin discharges for about 3 weeks until my body adapted and cleansed itself. Many of my associates also reported similar conditions and we were all in our later adult life so it was not a puperty thing but rather a hormone and chemestry/composition change thing. It would not be unreasonable though to also attribute stress, toxin/byproduct releases associated with fat burning, heavy perspiration, accelerated vitamin C produciton (from being bare skin outdoors in the sun) and circulatory adaption etc. for any of this also.

OD

actually, the chocolate thing varies from person to person... personally i dont really have any dermatologic reactions to eating chocolate or anything for that matter... however, i have noticed that when i train, i drink a ton of water... drinking a ton of water causes my skin to react positively, however in a negative matter initially. in this i mean that after a few days of constant water consumption, my skin looks and feels "healthier" however i might break out with one or two pimples here or there. having a small background in the health field i know that water reacts with our body's lymphatic, digestive and endocrine systems... when you consume a large amount of water, your body goes thru a flushing phase... in cleansing itself it releases all the toxins the easiest way it can; thru our sweat, glandular and digestive systems. hence, peeing and pimples and occasionally swollen lymph nodes(glands).

Originally posted by camarosuper6
The only side effect I know of Protein is bigger muscles.

Let's not forget the farting, too. :)

i knew my Uncle would never touch chocolate coz he said it gave him spots

i've heard ppl tell me before that too much chocolate will give you zits, 1 of them things that is probably not proven but many believe there is a link

allergy to chocolate? who knows!

peace

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Let's not forget the farting, too. :)

Hey - what do you think is making those muscle bigger? It's nitrous oxide :fart:, water/glycogen and increased volume capacity. All the fiber splitting/cell-creation marketing hype is unadultrated bunkum.

-OD

Back