• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

stencil 2.0: NYC Workout Journal

stencil

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm carrying this over from a previous journal at a previous site. Less than a year ago, I started lifting regularly. I started with a 115lb bench press and 135lb squat. I also started with about 20% bodyfat. My stats today are approximately:

176lb
10% BF
15.5" arms
32" waist

I also train twice a week in martial arts: ShoreiKan Goju Ryu karate. It's a very tough system that is extremely aerobic and tough on the joints. It's great stuff, though.

So my routine goes like this:

Monday: Back & Biceps
Yates Rows
Shrugs (BB)
Wide-grip lat pulldowns (hoping to turn this into pullups soon)
DB Curls and / or BB curls

Tuesday: Karate
30 min plyometrics / aerobics
60 min sparring, kata, technique, rolling, etc.

Wednesday: Chest & Triceps
Flat bench press
Incline / Decline DB press (alternating weekly)
Skullcrushers
Weighted Dips
Cable crossovers

Thursday: Karate
30 min plyometrics / aerobics
90 min sparring, kata, technique, weaponry

Friday: Legs & Shoulders
Squats
SLDLs
Calf Raises
DB Shoulder press
Bent-over reverse flies

Monday:

Yates rows: 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 185 x 8, 195 x 6 (new weight)
Shrugs: 275 x 8, 285 x 8, 285 x 8 (new weight)
Wide-grip lat pulldowns: 170 x 8, 170 x 8, 180 x 5 (new weight)
DB curls: 35 x 5, 35 x 5 (hammer), 35 x 4

Tuesday:

Karate was intense since it was the Sensei's birthday. I think he wanted to give himself a present of seeing his students sweating their heads off. Was a good night all in all though.

You have defintly come far! :thumbs: Keep it up!!
BEst of luck with your goals! :)

Ah, neat, ive been waiting for someone who incorporates plyometrics to start a journal. Any chance you could log a couple plyo workouts?

And good luck! :D

Monolith: Sure thing. One caveat, though - they're not standard, typical plyometrics, as they're based around karate techniques and muscle targeting. Some of the standard things include pushups with hand claps, one legged dips & jumps, shuto (chop) drills, leg raises with another person pushing the legs back down, side-step running, side-step running with medicine balls, etc. It's called "daruma taiso".

Originally posted by stencil
Monolith: Sure thing. One caveat, though - they're not standard, typical plyometrics, as they're based around karate techniques and muscle targeting. Some of the standard things include pushups with hand claps, one legged dips & jumps, shuto (chop) drills, leg raises with another person pushing the legs back down, side-step running, side-step running with medicine balls, etc. It's called "daruma taiso".

Sounds neat... ive been toying with the idea of switching to a complete plyometric routine for a few months, just to increase explosive, agile power. Its a bit more appealing than just gettin huge, but we'll see. :cool:

Nice to see that you started a journal over here man, good luck! :thumb:

Thanks, dude.

I already missed my chest / tri workout last night since it was a friend's birthday. Have plans after work tomorrow as well. Going to karate tonight.

Will try to make up chest workout tomorrow before work.

Karate was pretty intense last night. Tons of cardio & plyometrics. Included:

Fast side chops
Shoreikan pushups (sort of like Ashtanga yoga pushups)
Medicine ball situps (100-ish)
Slow and fast stance walking with a 180lb guy on my back
Leg raises with someone throwing the legs back down at the top
Sanchin breathing and contracting exercises
Tons of stretching

Then did some sparring. I'm learning some new crazy techniques that include a LOT of takedowns. Let's just say I hurt in some strange places.

Yates Rows: 135 x 10, 195 x 8, 195 x 8, 195 x 8
Shrugs: 285 x 8, 285 x 8, 285 x 8
Wide-grip pullups: 5, 6, 6 (bodyweight - first time!)
DB curls: 35 x 8, 35 x 8 (hammer), 35 x 6
Cable curls: 90 x 8, 90 x 8

IML Gear Cream!
Nice weight used on Yates rows man, good work. Shrugs are looking good too. Have you ever tried DB shrugs? I prefer DB shrugs completely over BB shrugs, but that's just me.

Yeah, I've tried DB shrugs. They're good because of the angle, but the DBs at my gym are in an annoying area and they only go up to about 85lb.

Damn, that sucks. Okay then, stick with the BB shrugs, lol.

Yeah I know. Get this - they recently bought some 90s and just plopped them on the floor next to the rack. *sigh*

haha that really sucks bad about the dbs, but its good to see you keeping a journal here. My gym has everything upto 150s,one of these days i'm gonna tear em off and curl em for 10 or 12 haha, maybe not, but thatd be nice. Actually itd be more of a reverse hang clean than a curl, but itd suffice.

Yeah Griff.... it was actually a nice surprise to see the 90s sitting on the floor. I won't be needing them any time soon as I'm DB pressing 60 and shoulder pressing 50 and curling 35, but hey... sooner than later I suppose, right? I'll just have to find another gym. There are plenty here in NYC.

Tonight, karate was intense. Lots of cardio and plyometrics. Got my ass thrown around during sparring, too. I'm gonna be hurting going into tomorrow.

I'm going to try to track my diet here as well since it seems like the thing to do. So far today:

Meal 1:
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 tsp honey
1 scoop ON Whey
1 cup black coffee
1/2 bagel w/cream cheese (meh... they were sitting there at work)

Workout:
Flat bench press:
Decline DB press:
Skullcrushers:
Weighted Dips:
Cable crossovers:

Flat bench press: 135 x 8, 185 x 6, 185 x 6, 185 x 4
Decline DB press: 60 x 8, 60 x 8, 60 x 8
Skullcrushers: 105 x 8, 105 x 8, 105 x 8
Weighted dips: +25 x 8, +25 x 8, +25 x 6

So much for logging my food. Heh.

Last night karate was nice and intense. Sweat my head off, but got to rest a bit at the end due to some white belt tests. Felt good to get some real cardio in.

Squats: 135 x 8, 265 x 8, 275 x 8, 275 x 8
SLDLs: 225 x 8, 245 x 6, 245 x 6
Mule calf raises: 400 (stack) x 12, 400 x 12, 400 x 12
Hammy curls (machine): 140 x 8
DB shoulder press: 50 x 8, 50 x 8, 50 x 8*
Reverse bent-over flies: 20 x 8, 20 x 8, 20 x 8*

*supersetted

Wiped myself out tonight. Missed leg workout last week, so this felt pretty evil / good.

IML Gear Cream!
Yates rows: 135 x 10, 195 x 8, 195 x 8, 195 x 8
Shrugs: 275 x 8, 295 x 8, 295 x 8 (new weight)
Wide grip pullups: 6, 6, 6 (bodyweight)
Cambered bar curls: 80 x 8, 90 x 6
DB hammer curls: 35 x 7

Some good karate last night. A couple new students, so the second half was more mellow than usual since I was teaching.

Chest & triceps tonight.

Felt really good tonight, and I think I *finally* perfected (well, close at least) my bench form.

Bench press: 135 x 8, 185 x 6, 185 x 7, 185 x 7
Incline DB press: 60 x 8, 60 x 8, 60 x 8
Weighted dips: +35 x 8, +35 x 8, +35 x 8
Cable crossovers: 65 x 10, 65 x 10, 65 x 8

Skullcrushers felt especially good because I got to use the 35lb plates on each side for the first time. Something about an EZ bar with big plates just looks really cool.

Karate last night was amazing. Good plyometrics, even did something we call "swimming:"

1. Lay down on a hardwood floow, belly down, arms out in front of you.
2. Pull yourself across the floor using ONLY your arms. It'll look like you're doing the butterfly or breath stroke.
3. Push yourself back using ONLY your arms. This will feel a bit like shoulder presses.
4. Repeat, then do the same using ONLY your legs.

Also started learning seunchin, my final kata before I test for black belt. It's a pretty intense, beautiful kata, and uses a lot of wrist and angle subleties that had them screaming and burning by the end of the night. Good stuff.

Oh - also, I ordered some Lipoderm Ultra which should arrive today now that I finished up the Ab-Solved. The Ab-Solved didn't seem to do too much for me, so I'm guessing that what's left of my 10% bf is sub-cu fat. Will report on the Lipoderm as it goes through its cycle.

Oww. After a weekend of partying and eating crap, my workout today was painful. Energy ran real short, too.

Squats: 138 x 10, 225 x 8, 275 x 8, 295 x 8 (new weight)
SLDLs: 225 x 8, 245 x 8, 245 x 6
Seated calf raises: 180 x 10, 180 x 10, 180 x 10
DB shoulder press: 50 x 8, 50 x 8, 50 x 8*
Bent-over reverse flies: 20 x 8, 20 x 8, 20 x 8*

*superset

Wide-grip pullups, bodyweight: 6, 6
Wide-grip lap pulldowns: 180 x 6, 180 x 6
Yates rows: 185 x 8, 195 x 8, 195 x 8
Shrugs: 275 x 8, 285 x 8, 285 x 8
Standing DB curls: 35 x 8, 35 x 8, 35 x 6

Good chest day:

Flat bench press: 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 185 x 8, 185 x 7
Decline DB press: 60 x 8, 65 x 8, 65 x 6 (new weight)
Weighted dips (+35): 8, 8, 6 (new weight)
Cable crossovers: 65 x 8, 70 x 8, 70 x 8 (new weight)

Forgot to update some plyometrics:

Swimming, 30 feet, both ways
Decline situps with medicine ball (20lb, since that's all my girlfriend will catch right now), 100
Side-stepping sprints... not sure what these are called, 5 min
Shutos (chops, basically), both hands, 100
Shoreikan puships
Situp kicks, 100

Back