• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

some questions

jimjam

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi all. I'm not sure if I'm skinny.. I'm 13 years of age,5'11 and I weigh around 140 pounds... I have small shoulders and I want to know good exercises for those. Also what exercises would stunt my growth or weaken my bones or something as I'm only 13.. and is it ok to work with 5kg dumbells to gain muscle.. or should I use something heavier and more difficult. Thanks in advance.

IMO you should not work out, wait something like 3 years. :)
You can try swimming or any other sport.

Originally posted by jimjam
Hi all. I'm not sure if I'm skinny.. I'm 13 years of age,5'11 and I weigh around 140 pounds... I have small shoulders and I want to know good exercises for those. Also what exercises would stunt my growth or weaken my bones or something as I'm only 13.. and is it ok to work with 5kg dumbells to gain muscle.. or should I use something heavier and more difficult. Thanks in advance.

You're definitely pretty skinny, but I have seen skinnier. Don't worry though, you can definitely pack on some size with proper diet, training, and rest.

To answer you immediate questions, I don't know anything about exercise stunting your growth. However, weight training strengthens bones; you don't have to worry about that. As well, the weight that you use is going to be based on what you are capable of. The best range for gaining muscle mass for most people is between 8-12. This means you reach failure between 8 and 12 repititions. You may want to try going as low as 5 repititions if you don't see good results in the 8-12 range, because everyone responds differently.

For more information check out the stickied thread at the top of the training forum. As well, you should read up in the diet & nutrition forum too. Diet is just as important as training.

You can definatly start lifting at this age. For now I'd suggest you go higher reps, with low weights to reduce the chance of ingury at that young of an age. Once you get a decent basis and idea of what lifting and bodybuilding is about ( and get your form down on basic lifts ) I'd start performing more advanced lifts at higher volume + heavier weight. Search the net for articles and just read up on all you can. Knowledge is very important in this sport. Goodluck man.

Originally posted by plouffe
You can definatly start lifting at this age.
Yeah take advice from the guy who started taking PH´s with 16 years old.. hahah
J/K plouffe :)

IMO, 13 is too young to get into weight training. Body weight exercises are all I'd recommend until you're a little older.

Originally posted by Var
IMO, 13 is too young to get into weight training. Body weight exercises are all I'd recommend until you're a little older.

If he's hit puberty then it's probably fine. However, I do agree that he should probably stick to slightly higher reps until he gets his form down and gets the basics down. Me and several of my friends lifted when we were 13 and no one experienced any problems as a result. I took weight lifting class in 9th grade along with several other peeps.

Back