• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Mixing proteins

curiousity

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I guess I have a little confusion about the digestion rate of different proteins. I know that whey (regular, iso, hyd) is the fastest and casein is around 5 hours, etc.

Does this mean that is it five hours before any of the casein protein is digested or that it takes five hours for all of the casein protein to be digested?

Is it possible to throw a little bit of whey protein in with casein protein and maintain the whey's quick digesting properties?

The real life question: Could I throw in a little bit of whey powder into my cottage cheese and oats (Hey, I like it) to get a "burst" of protein from the whey followed with the sustained, slow release of protein from the casein?

This is not for PWO.

Thank you for your time in reading and answering this question.

Yes this is a very good idea. In essence you're making your own homemade protein blend, there are a lot of products out there today that blend whey isolate, whey concentrate, hydrolyzed whey, soy isolate, egg albumen and calcium caseinate/milk protein t utilised the benefits of each source. The 'blend' is ideal for all times of the day other than PWO, though in my experience I once took nothing but casein PWO and still experienced great results.

Peace.

what type of protein supplement you use really depends on your eating frequency and the nutritional content of your meals.

if you are eating every 2 hours then you could actually use whey protein for that. if you are going 3-4 hours then you would need something more anti-catabolic like a caesin based protein if you are not eating whole food meals.

once the lower GI tract is empty your body starts to go into a mild catabolic state so cortisol, glucagon and serum gh will increase. this is usually about 3 hours after a decent whole food meal and 2 hours after a whey only shake...

Digestion rate of protein is a highly overrated concern, mostly blown out of proportion by the protein manufacturing companies.

Whey protein synthesis peaks at the 2-3 hour interval, but is still being digested before and after.

Casien peaks at the 5-6 hour interval, again, hitting the bloodstream before and after.

Once you realize that most bodybuilders eat every 3-4 hours, you realize that what type of protein you consume is relatively meaningless except for two times:

* Post-workout -- should be largely if not exclusively whey.

* Before bed -- should be largely casien, or at least NOT whey.

The rest of the time you want a cost-effective, good tasting protein.

Ok. Then does fat and fiber just slow down the digestion rate of the protein? And does this force the peak protein synthesis to occur later?

Is there really a need to have a TBsp of Flax seed oil with my cottage cheese before I go to bed then?

I only sleep eight hours and if it peaks at 5 to 6 hours, then........

I am cutting and so I would love to take that Tbsp of Flax seed oil out of my diet (I already get enough EFAs without it.) I take it now to slow down the digestion of the cottage cheese since I have to lift at night due to my schedule. (I drink whey and eat ricecakes as PWO, then cottage cheese at bedtime.)

Originally posted by Twin Peak
Digestion rate of protein is a highly overrated concern, mostly blown out of proportion by the protein manufacturing companies.

Whey protein synthesis peaks at the 2-3 hour interval, but is still being digested before and after.

Casien peaks at the 5-6 hour interval, again, hitting the bloodstream before and after.

Once you realize that most bodybuilders eat every 3-4 hours, you realize that what type of protein you consume is relatively meaningless except for two times:

* Post-workout -- should be largely if not exclusively whey.

* Before bed -- should be largely casien, or at least NOT whey.

The rest of the time you want a cost-effective, good tasting protein.

If you are getting enough EFAs, adding fats for slowing absorbtion is just silly.

:) LOL.....You have hit the nail on the head.....SILLY, that's me.:)

And that Tbsp of Flax seed oil is gone. Thank you Twin Peak for straighten out a misconception of mine.

Anytime.

Originally posted by Twin Peak
If you are getting enough EFAs, adding fats for slowing absorbtion is just silly.

Would you mind explaining that a lil further?

IML Gear Cream!
Yes, I would.

In all seriousness, I am not sure what I can explain further.

Well, are you saying that including a fat source with, say, a serving of whey wont slow digestion?

Or are you saying that as long as the meal already contains efa's, adding further fat is pointless?

Including a fat source will slow digestion of whey.

Why are you trying to slow the digestion of whey, why not eat whole foods or use a casien blend?

What I am saying is, if you are getting sufficient EFAs daily, and you are eating extra fat purely for slowing digestion, you are doing something wrong, if you are trying to lose fat.

Ahh... ok. I think i just misunderstood you. Thanks for humoring me. :D

Back