• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Hydraulic Machines

w8lifter

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've never even seen these machines so I'm having a hard time picturing this. Ok, so w/ hydraulic/fluid resistance type machines, there is no eccentric phase.....the agonist works concentrically during the primary exercise movement and the antagonist works concentrically to return to the start position, instead of the agonist working eccentrically.

So, let's say we're doing a tricep pressdown w/ a straight bar, your tri's work concentrically to push the bar down.....w/ these machines, does that mean you will feel resistance in your bi's to bring the "weight" back up? So essentially you'd be doing a pronated bicep curl? :confused:

Hmmmm......

If I understood ANY of what you just said, I'd be happy to try to answer.

:headbang:

They have machines like that at my gym. The name on them is Keiser. They use air pressure in a cylinder to create resistance.

W8, in your example you would still have to use your tri's to keep the bar from comming up too fast. From personal experience, i dont think in your example that the bi's will come into play any more than if you were to do tricep pushdowns with a cable.

I hope this answers your question, some of the technical jargon was a little hard to understand.

Anyway, i dont care for the machines at all. They feel too confining durring the movement. For some of the machines, the resistance is not constant throught the movement too. It seems on some machines that the resistance is greater as you reach the end of the movement (i.e. top of a curl or bottom of a tricep extention)

thank you all I now know how to train Compensatory Acelleration in theory. Now I just need the funds to build a hydraulic/pneumatic resistance machine whose ROM matches mine on my lifts and I'm set.

I like the keiser machines.They are great for accentuating the strength curve.On the seated chest press, the pressure increase/decrease buttons are located on the hand grips.As you begin to press the handles forward to lockout, you can gradually increase the resistance so the end of the range of motion is as difficult as the beginning.Not like a barbell press where the weight feels lighter and lighter as you lockout.Bally's is the only gym I've ever seen that stocks this equipment though.

I don't like those machines - they are inconsistent and if not maintained properly, they will lose their pressure - so one day, it will appear you are lifting much more than the day before.

It sounds ok the way Ballast likes using them - but beyond that - I like the cable machines better (for keeping resistance throughout the movement).

Originally posted by w8lifter
I've never even seen these machines so I'm having a hard time picturing this. Ok, so w/ hydraulic/fluid resistance type machines, there is no eccentric phase.....the agonist works concentrically during the primary exercise movement and the antagonist works concentrically to return to the start position, instead of the agonist working eccentrically.

So, let's say we're doing a tricep pressdown w/ a straight bar, your tri's work concentrically to push the bar down.....w/ these machines, does that mean you will feel resistance in your bi's to bring the "weight" back up? So essentially you'd be doing a pronated bicep curl? :confused:

*** What you are refering to is what is known as a "isokinetics".
This is where there was an attempt by the creators of the machine to ensure there was a constant load on the muscles throughout the movement. Of course this isn't possible.

You are correct that with most of these machines the eccentric portion is taken out, of course there are such things as eccentric isokinetic machines that are on the market as well.

I hope this helped. If you have any more questions on this ask away!:)

Back