• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Training Schedule for triathlete

Chris52686

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I am currently training for my first triathlon which is on July 17th of this year. It will be a half mile swi, 17 mile bike ride and 5k run. I am currently training at those distances and am working on my speed. I have been doing a weight program for size and strength for the last year and it has worked very well but i dont know whether or not i should continue this routine. Well here it is:
Chest

Week 1
Bench-6-5-4
Incline-6-5-4
Decline-6-5-4

Week 2
Bench-3x3
Incline-3x3
Decline-3x3

Shoulders
Arnold Presses-2x6
Military-3x6
lateral raises-3x8
shrugs-3x6
upright rows-2x6

Back
Pulldowns-3x6
bent rows-3x6
hypers-2x8
deadlift-6-5-4

Legs
Squat-10-6-5-4
Extensions-3x6
leg Curls-3x6
Stiff leg dl-3x6
calf raises-4x8

Arms
Alternating curls-2x6
preacher curls-2x6
straight bar curls-2x6
close grip bp-3x6
Pushdowns-2x8
skull crushers-2x8

So any suggestions on whether I should keep my current routine or switch to a more endurance based one, i do want to keep some size though and not end up looking like the "typical triathlete",Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments

I'd throw in some pull-ups, dips, and pushups with a high rep count. A triatholon is an endurance competition, not really a strength ( strength is required, but not in the sense of powerlifting )
Do a very very high intensity workout 2x's a week with constant active recovery...ie., set of pull-ups followed by a set of lunges or a set of squats followed by a minute of arm circles.

You never stop moving in a triatholon, so when you train, you should never stop moving

good luck

Periodize your workouts. If you are training for a triathalon what are you doing as far as swiming, biking and running goes in addition to this weight program?? You may want to hit the weights 3x's a week for total body workouts or upper and lower body workouts. You can continue to lift heavy but as you get closer you need to go to more endurance based rep ranges and de-load (or lower the intensity) of the weight you are lifting to allow your body to prepare for the maximum effor you will need to put forth for the triathalon. Also, abs abs abs!!! I'd be really training core, especially with higher reps as you are going to need to have great core endurance to finsh a triathalon. Oblique training wil come in handy as well. How is your gaite?? I'd think about trying to do some reading on running economy to try and decrease energy expenditure while increasing the amount of work you can output. Lots of things to think aobut but you have time.

Back