• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Empty Stomach Cardio

Jill

Back to reality
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What is the recommended max amount of time to do cardio on an empty stomach?

I never go more then 30 mins. Usually 25 mins, and always have water.

30mins is long enough. is it steady state or intervals?

I would never exercise on a completly empty stomach. at least take some glutamine and BCAA's to reduce catabolism...

LAM said:
I would never exercise on a completly empty stomach. at least take some glutamine and BCAA's to reduce catabolism...

Good advice.

Beyond that, there is no need to go for 45 minutes. 30 minutes should be plenty on a totally empty stomach. If you really want to do more cardio, then you should consider doing a second session of 15-20 minutes of HIIT cardio later in the day.

Another time to consider doing cardio is immediately proceeding a weight training session. The effects should be similar to those of doing cardio first thing in the morning.

would never do 45mins of cardio, typical for me is 20mins HIIT.

:yes: same here. Id reccomend HIIT over moderate longer cardio anyday.

Ok think of it this way.... you have 2 pots of water that need heated.
Pot #1- you put it on a medium heat to slowly heat up.
Pot#2- you put it on high heat and it comes to a rapid boil much quicker.
.... then you let these cool. Which one cools off the fastest?
answer: Pot # 1.

moral of story. compare to metabolism. In less time pot # 2 came to a boil. The after effect is that it takes much longer to cool. With interval cardio or HIIT it works the same. Your metabolism GREATLY revs up in shorter period compared to longer length cardio. Yes you may not burn AS many calories during the cardio... BUT the your metabolism is MUCH more elevated, ie after the calorie burn after, from the intervals.
I hope someone sees my point :)

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
atherjen said:

moral of story. compare to metabolism. In less time pot # 1 came to a boil. The after effect is that it takes much longer to cool. With interval cardio or HIIT it works the same. Your metabolism GREATLY revs up in shorter period compared to longer length cardio. Yes you may not burn AS many calories during the cardio... BUT the your metabolism is MUCH more elevated, ie after the calorie burn after, from the intervals.
Holy smokes.

atherjen said:

moral of story. compare to metabolism. In less time pot # 1 came to a boil. The after effect is that it takes much longer to cool. With interval cardio or HIIT it works the same. Your metabolism GREATLY revs up in shorter period compared to longer length cardio. Yes you may not burn AS many calories during the cardio... BUT the your metabolism is MUCH more elevated, ie after the calorie burn after, from the intervals.
:thumbs: Nice post Jen :)

I recently started running the morning. I know me do cardio :eek: Well, with all the recent changes lately I need to do something to keep lean and I use to run so why not. Besides it gives me time to think about my day ahead and clears my mind.

Well, I hate doing ANY cardio in the gym so instead I do it in the am outdoors early in the morning. I run for 3 miles but its not flat, its a constant up and down hills. I like to think of it as intervals. I wear a HR monitor and I'll go from 155 to 175.

Anyway, one thing I noticed for me, is if I run on an empty stomach, I am very tired all day long. I mean extremely tired and no energy. So this week I started having a shake, wait 1/2 hour and then run. My energy is back up and I feel great. I'm not saying empty stomach cardio is bad but for me it is because I seem to be very lathargic the rest of day.

Great info peeps!

Aj-I always do interval cardio, ALWAYS. I do cardio after weights, except for my rest day when I ONLY do cardio.

Jodi run?? I never thought Id see the day.:laugh: Good for you hot stuff!

early morning runs on the beach are the best, i usually do like Jodi does, down a protein shake and wait a little then go.

Jodi, glad to hear that your running! :thumb:

as for my post.. :hehe: either you get it... or you dont. :D

Jilly, glad you always do intervals. :)

also wouldn't you also get the same benefits because if you down a protein shake, you still are not supplying yourself with carbs for energy so you will use up a greater % of fat for the cardio

to my best of knowledge I believe that holds some validation aztec. I think it greatly depends upon how much glycogen one has stored in the muscle tissues. If one was following a ketogenic or extremly low carb diet, I would persume that the protein would be converted to glucose via glucogenisis to supply energy.

Back