• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Optimal Training On a Low-Carb Diet

M.J.H.

Obsessed
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I just got back from the gym, and I am pissed. Had the WORST workout that I have had in years. I am looking for a program or training principles to do while on no/low-carbs.

I am thinking something maybe ligher I don't know. I know this is extremely controversial. I want to LOSE FAT. That's it. Drop 10-15 lbs. of flab, and that's it.

HST? DFHT? Any ideas?

why not eat more carbs. train how you train. limit your calories. and do some HIIT cardio?

Okay, after evaluating everything about my eating---like it said to in the binge book I am reading. While on a low-carb diet my cravings are gone, I feel like I can eat "better" foods if you will (bacon cheeseburgers, etc.) and I know for sure that fat-loss is awesome. My brother is a true example of Atkin's style eating. He weighed 180 lbs. and kinda' flabby, been on Atkin's for 3 months, now weighs 160ish and extremely lean. No refeeds, etc. Plays soccer and tennis very intensely and his performance has not at all been hindered.

BTW, I have been training an upper/lower split for the longest time now. Just looking for something different. :)

One final note, that I want to add. I am so sick of being pretty large, and kinda' flabby. It's great having some size, because honestly training in a variety of gyms you don't see too many well developed guys. And the ones that you do see are usually large with a higher % of bodyfat.

However, being lean, with abs, makes all the different. Look at Usher in his "Confessions" video. The guy it what 150 lbs.? I mean he's obviously very skinny, but being so lean makes him appear so much larger. I would rather be lean, and have some decent size. Than have more size, and have some flab. If that makes any sense.

I am tired of being self-conscious about taking my shirt off. :(

Cutting carbs is a lazy way of losing weight. Why dont you count the calories instead. Weight training is also a good way of losing bf - increase the tempo and number of reps in your sets and decrease the resistance.

MonStar said:
One final note, that I want to add. I am so sick of being pretty large, and kinda' flabby. It's great having some size, because honestly training in a variety of gyms you don't see too many well developed guys. And the ones that you do see are usually large with a higher % of bodyfat.

However, being lean, with abs, makes all the different. Look at Usher in his "Confessions" video. The guy it what 150 lbs.? I mean he's obviously very skinny, but being so lean makes him appear so much larger. I would rather be lean, and have some decent size. Than have more size, and have some flab. If that makes any sense.

Quality over quantity, anytime. :rocker:

Atkins is a sack of shit. Just lower your calorie intake and do cardio. You need the carbs.

Atkins' style eating has worked great for me in the past. I did not post a thread about opinions on Atkin's, I posted a thread about training on a ketogenic style diet.

Cutting carbs is a lazy way of losing weight. Why dont you count the calories instead. Weight training is also a good way of losing bf - increase the tempo and number of reps in your sets and decrease the resistance.
LOL, I am not a newbie. :)

MonStar said:
LOL, I am not a newbie. :)
those would be some impresive lifts if you were(and they are impressive anyways) I say just eat a balanced diet, count your calories, make sure you get your protein amount that you need( be it 1 gram per lbs, or whatever) and fill the rest in with quality carbs and healthy fats. And like said before throw in a few hiit sessions here and there

IML Gear Cream!
Low or no carb diets tend to eat muscle. Fact of life. That is probably why you had your worst workout in years

I say low carb it all you want . Just keep a few refeeds a week in there. Keep cals low and train hard.

MonStar said:
I just got back from the gym, and I am pissed. Had the WORST workout that I have had in years. I am looking for a program or training principles to do while on no/low-carbs.

I am thinking something maybe ligher I don't know. I know this is extremely controversial. I want to LOSE FAT. That's it. Drop 10-15 lbs. of flab, and that's it.

HST? DFHT? Any ideas?

I was under the impression that training protocols should be kept pretty similar while cutting, no matter the method. However, I would assume that a program geared towards hypertrophy would be a waste of time because you aren't likely to gain muscle mass while on a diet like this.

kvyd said:
I say low carb it all you want . Just keep a few refeeds a week in there. Keep cals low and train hard.
Thing is, if MonStar is carb-sensitive and has a binging problem, the very last thing he should be doing is any kind of refeed. The insulin surge and consequent hormonal effects really f*ck you over if you are that way inclined.

But everyone who says so is right; refeeds are really the only way to get anything like a good time in the gym while low-carbing for most people. (Your brother must be one of the lucky ones.)

Mon, if you want to keep on low-carbing it, you should probably add refeeds and go for more of a keto style diet.

If, however, you want something longterm, you'd probably be better off planning out -- and sticking with -- a moderate-carb, low-GI, calorie controlled pain-in-the-butt plan. You might also have success with a controlled refeed plan, in which your refeed days are more frequent, but also more moderate, with a tracked and counted number of carb grams from clean sources.

There is no miracle diet and there is no miracle routine. You quit doing a low carb diet a few weeks ago because you were binging and losing strength. You're quitting this diet now because of binging. No diet or routine is going to save you from you.

MonStar said:

I agree 100%. I've always gone for that look.

The key, without a doubt, is NOT dedication. It's the all-new HyperDiet v3.2X accompanied by Miracle Routine 2004! Both of these can't fail regimens can be found in the latest edition of FLEX Magazine! That's right, the infinite knowledgebase that is FLEX is proud to present you with the ultimate KEY TO YOUR EVERY GOAL!!

Fuck dedication, let's look for miracles!

I cut out all Carbs an followed an Protien only diet, its so boring but yea your BF really drops an u look cut, but it isnt possible to gain any new mass so u just stay the same an never change, not what we really go to work out for LOL

Saturday Fever said:
There is no miracle diet and there is no miracle routine. You quit doing a low carb diet a few weeks ago because you were binging and losing strength. You're quitting this diet now because of binging. No diet or routine is going to save you from you.
If anything, I would expect Monstar to listen to you. Desire to achieve our goals takes discpline and adherence. I hope that he listens to you.

IML Gear Cream!
I hope the best for HIM. I admit I word my posts strongly, but it should never give people the impression I don't care. I came to this site because I was asked to. If I didn't genuinely care about the people I try to, and enjoy helping, I never would have accepted the invitation.

Call it my attitude, or maybe my demeanor in general, I don't know, but there is so much I can teach, so much I can explain. And as much as I may come across an asshole, or arrogant, I only want the best for the people who ask me for help or even ask just a simple question.

I'm no expert, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I would try to keep with the same program and take in insane amounts of protein to preserve as much muscle as possible. Maybe a double sccop of Whey (45-50g) pre=work out and post workout with some glut. thrown in for good measure. If energy levels are low you could also take 25mg ephedra and 200-300mg caffiene pre WO, this would give you the benifits of increased energy as well as increased fat burn, especially on an Atkins type diet. If you reffed I think you would throw your body out of ketolysis (I know sp?)

The sad thing is, many times people don't to accept the truth. They take everything personally and think that you are attacking them, rather than trying to help them. So, even though you do care and want the best for someone, you come across as a jerk. Unfortunately, that's todays culture.....quick fixes, fad diets, and miracle drugs.

Back