• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Heavy Duty Donuts Journal

Duncans Donuts

Stay puffed, baby.
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
To keep in touch with my brother (Camarosuper6) who is moving up north, and because I know of very few HIT trainees round' here, I will post my progress doing my traditional Mike Mentzer Heavy Duty routine.

I am a type one diabetic who has been doing HIT for roughly a year. I use nutritional timing with my insulin shots (70 grams/dextrose, 50 grams protein) to further my recover time. I do one set to failure. I do a three day split.

Workout one
Squats
Calf-raises
Weighted sit-ups
Any of several grip exercises

Workout two
Bench Press
Close-grip press
Bent Rows
Deadlifts
Pull-ups

Workout three
Military Press
Behind the back Shrugs
Concentrated Curls
Tricep Pulldowns (superset dips)
Dips

I am currently operating on a calorie deficit in an attempt to get my weight to (roughly) 215 pounds. I currently weigh in at 219.8 pounds. I'm not going to post my diet because I record that in small notebook and don't feel it necessary to transfer that to the internet.

Relevant measurements (in inches):
Thigh: 26 3/4
Calf: 16 3/4
Chest: 49
Arms: 18
Forearms: 14
Neck: 16 1/2
Waist: 33 3/4
Hips: 36 (slightly under)

By the end of the year goals:
Military Press (free weight) : 235 x 8
Deadlift: 600 x 4
Squat: 445 x 18
Bench: 305 x 8
Waist: 32 inches

Of course I welcome any suggestions or insight that might be deemed helpful.

Today:

Squats: 400 x 18 (couldn't do 19)
Calf-raises: 525 x 14 (each rep hold contracted x 3 seconds)
Weighted sit-ups: 102.5 x 14 (superslow)
Static-hold grip exercise: 280 pounds x 28 seconds (front grip) x 22 seconds (reverse grip)

My blood sugar dropped quite low after the squats (50 mg/dl). Before hand it was closer to 130 mg/dl. I injected my insulin 10 minutes before the workout ended and consumed 70 grams dextrose and about 50 grams of protein. Also had a banana and some oats.

In curiosity, how much protein are you getting daily approx ?

Just about 1 gram per pound of body weight. At least that is what I shoot for.

That doesnt seem like very much protein.. is there a reason why you dont eat more?

I look forward to following this :)

My low protein is basically because of work. I'm on a big calorie deficit (I eat about 2900-3400 a day) and I just don't get enough of my calories from protein. Maybe 300 a day. I'm trying to bump it. Premier, I'd love any insight or opinions you have on my workout :thumb:

Today:

First time I've ever done a dumbell press before. Thought I'd give it a whirl considering the kind of good publicity it gets on these boards. All sets to failure (typically last rep is forced)

Dumbell press: 97.5 x 9
Close-grip benchpress: 235 x 10 (almost 11)
Deadlift: 505 x 7
Pull-ups x 9 (maximally contracted for 3 seconds on each rep, last rep hold into I fall).

I typically do a one rep deadlift and hold it for as long as I can. I had problems finding the right straps today, though, and had to just do them traditonally (lower back problems flare up when I do big weight lots of reps). The straps I used are old and crappy and almost ripped some skin off.

Gracias, Jersey.

Me and my brother alike seem to have problems with our chest. Our best lifts typically are shoulders and back (and for me legs) while I've had issues with the bench press. Maybe I can overcome this with the dumbell press, maybe the additional contraction on the horizontal motion will advance my workout.

Had a spotter today so I changed up my bicep work. All exercises were free weight, no smith machine use.

Military press: 205 x 8
Behind the back shrug: 285 x 9
Tricep pulldown (rope): 130 x 8 (superset dips)
Dips: x 4
Olympic bar curl: 115 x 8

For my curl I did 3 second up, leaned over on max contraction so that I could feel the resistance with my biceps fully flexed, held that for 3 seconds, and did 3 second negatives. On the final rep I had a spotter help me up (about 8 seconds up) held as long as I could (maybe another 8 seconds), and controlled the negatives at about 6 seconds.

This is the first time I've done olympic bar curls in nearly 6 months, and it was a good experience.

EDIT: also weighed in at 220.4 today.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
yellowmoomba said:
Killer negatives!! Your biceps were probably ready to explode!!!

Oh man, it was something. I'm a pretty stubborn trainee (I use HIT methodology and typically change my workout substance once every 3 or 4 months, if that) but as far as working my biceps to failure, I'll probably keep this up for a while. The last set was excruciating, I was shrieking by the time I got the weight back to the floor.

Duncans Donuts said:
Oh man, it was something. I'm a pretty stubborn trainee (I use HIT methodology and typically change my workout substance once every 3 or 4 months, if that) but as far as working my biceps to failure, I'll probably keep this up for a while. The last set was excruciating, I was shrieking by the time I got the weight back to the floor.

Especially with the olympic bar!! (it makes a huge difference using a straight bar)

Having some lower back problems. This had a pretty negative affect on my workout today. :(

Dumbell press: 100 x 9
Close-grip press: 240 x 7 (struggled big on last rep)
Rack deadlift: 505 (severe lower back pain on full deads and rack deads)
Pullups bodyweight + 20 pounds: 5 (3 second hold in contracted position, slow negatives)

My back was dying today. I may cut out my heavy deads for a while. Also, I did my pullups with my palm turned away. I didn't think well and had my biceps in a weak hold, so I expect 7 or 8 reps with the 20 pounds next time.

Also have a new pic of myself and my buddy Chris. Just if people were curious what I looked like without the goopy smiley face.

Picture695.jpg

Nice close grip presses.
How did you hurt your back? Did Dave make it to North Cali ok?

You make your friend look tiny LOL

Yeah, David did (make it okay). Me and my dad drove up with him - about a 13 hour drive, and a 12 hour drive back. Very different place than where we come from. It was tough saying goodbye.

I deadlifted 545 last week without much trouble and when I tried to do it again I just felt a huge amount of tension in my lower back on the rep. After that it hurt, so I let it go and just did some rack deads.

As for my friend, yeah, he's not very big. Maybe 5'8 and 170 pounds. :)

Well Im here :)

Whats up Mike. Nice pic, guess someone has a webcam. Life up here is pretty damn boring. Money is tight, and living with someone else is tough, but Im going apt shoppin on Monday, so I guess Ill see how that goes.

My FTO program is going well. Cpl. McBride is my training officer, and although hes tough and strict, hes a good guy, and will teach me a lot. Reminds me a little of being in the Academy again cuz Im bottom of the totem pole until I get off my FTO program.

How are things at home. Anything out of the ordinary. Oh, BTW, Im flying back Sept 9th through the 13th. :)

I can imagine living in that liberal nonsense is tough. At least you get to boss everyone around. Didn't you get temp work to help finance everything? I'll be talking to the UPS human resources on Sunday (if they're there) or Monday.

Things at home are the same, but different. I don't have to worry about using the plunger anymore :thumb: Have you seen any attractive girls yet? :laugh:

I look forward to you coming up.

Todays workout -
Squats: 405 x 19
Calf-raises: 530 x 15
Situps: 105 x 14
Forearm barbell grips: 285 x 23 seconds (front)
285 x 16 (reverse)

I haven't felt pain in my legs like this in a very long time. I was so close to getting another rep on squats. My sit-ups were enormously hard in the heat. As far as the calf raises go, I collapsed after the last rep and almost started crying, and I'm progressing well on them. I just hope my lower back stops hurting so I can get back into deads.

So do you just do 1 set of the weight(IE: 405 x 19)?

Plunger :wtf: lol

Always one set to failure.

Lets just say my brother clogged the toilet quite frequently. :eek:

Thats interesting... How many wormup sets do you do? What do you do on off days? Whats the rep range that you want to fail in?

IML Gear Cream!
One warmup set, typically 245 x 8 on squats, 145 x 8 on bench, 105x 8 on military press. I don't do warm-ups for anything but the compounds.

For legs I typically shoot for a high rep range because I almost killed myself doing heavy squats a few months ago. 16-20 for my squats, 12-16 for my calves, and 12-16 for my abdominals. Everything else I'm in a 6-10 range. When I hit 9 or 10 reps I up the weight, etcetera.

On off days I typically just work at UPS, and twice a week I try to do a HIIT session (though given my workout routine I can't always achieve this).

Make sure you keep that diet in check. One of the few good things about being up here with little money is that I eat really well. I get home about 330 am, drink a protein shake and eat a pb/J Sandwhich w/natural peanut butter. First thing in morning (which is around 2 pm) I eat a bagel or grits, a protein shake and a piece of fruit. Before I go to work I drink a Protoplex shake with a sandwhich, and I have a lot of canned veggies, that actually taste really good. and for dinner, Damons wife cooks usually something delcious. For instance, last night was Manicotti, and the night before were enchaladas. So, I eat pretty clean, with the exception of her meals, which are the equivalent of eating moms good home cooking (did I just say that?)

I start my workous again on Monday, as I will get a gym pass. I come back Sept 9th,through the 13th. Thats a Thu after noon and go back on Monday afternoon. Im really looking forward to coming home.

See you.

I bet you can not wait to get back here. It's way different around here. Sounds like you've established a really good diet. I'm doing everything I can to keep mine going without going insane. How much access do you have to the PC? Sounds like you've been busy. How many hours are you getting at your job? Also find out about the UPS out there.

Today's workout:

Military press: 205 x 9 (9th was nearly impossible, but I got it)
Behind the back shrugs: 290 x 9
Barbell curl: 120 x 8 (slow reps, 2-3 seconds up, 3 pause, 3 down)
Tricep pulldowns: 130 x 9 (superset dips)
Dips: x 4

My progress is slowing so I may lift less often. I banged my teeth on the last dip, as I collapsed. My shrugs are improving very well, but my grip is having trouble keeping up with the weight (which feels enormous from rep #1). I had a great spotter on my barbell curls today, and on my last rep I was able to do 6 seconds up, 3 second pause, and more than 6 second negatives. Ouch.

Well, I defintely am looking forward to coming back home, and do plan on visiting every 6 weeks or so, but working has been a blast. I get to suit up (Ive been in plain clothes the past week) on Friday of this week, and cant wait. Ive written a few tickets and done some minor things like that, but mostly gone over Dept. Policy and sharpened up my PC Codes and such. Its all coming back really fast, and Im learning a whole lot every day. Lucky for me, my academy was one of the best in the country, and I have a very strong foundation. Now, Im learning the details on how to be good at what I do. Its great.

Life will be a lot better once I get my own place, and hopefully you can move up with me. A went by a decent townhouse for only 600 a month, which would be no problem to afford if I had a roomy.

I start working out tomm, and will continue my journal there. Keep going well on your diet, and tell Chris and anyone around that u see that I said hello. I do miss everyone, and my gf especially, but Im getting along well, and adjusting quite quickly.

Take Care.

http://www.geocities.com/omega_training2000/aa3.htm

Hopefully you will be full time before too long. I talk to HR tonight at UPS. I played about 3 hours (nonstop, maybe 10 minutes of rest the entire time) of basketball yesterday and I'm taking today off of weights today too. Above is the Air Alert 3 website. Make sure you update everyone on your training progress on HST. Talk to ya soon, take care.

Your screen name made me hungry... DONUTS....mmmmmmmmmm!! ;) :D

Hi there and Good luck with your goals!! :wave:

Damn. My girl is about 750 miles away. I need sum luving.

Argh.

Thanks for the encouragement Sapphire :)

Dave, I have two suggestions for you when you start working out again: free weight military press, and free weight behind the back shrugs on a rack. Also I'll be talking to UPS in a few hours. Question is: what car will I drive?

Dude, I know youll get the Honda. All you have to do is make it seem reasonable.

I saw the UPS today and actually laughed out loud. Its RIGHT next to a gym (a nice one at that, with free weights, pool, bball court and the works!). Its two buildings next to eachother, looking old, probably about the size of the two parking lots at heritage park. Its really small, especially compared to the Ontario one.

I hope it works well. I applied with some lumber places that pay well today, and they said they would get back to me soon. Let me know.

Have you started going to the gym up there yet? I knew you were ready to start again.

Today's workout:
Close grip bench press: 240 x 10
DB press: 102.5 x 8
Rack deadlifts: 465
Pullups: 20 + body weight x 7 (no straps)

Having lower back problems severe so I'm working on form deads (which I'm not counting in the workout log). My close grip press today went great after 2 solid days of rest. Also the last rep on my db press was enormously hard and I almost lost control. My body weight is about 218-219 so my diet is going well.

I've literally run out of space on my dumbells to keep adding 10 pound plates so I've got to buy some new standard weights for the dbs. My blood sugar was dropping hard after the pull-ups so I was proud to get 7 good reps (with the 3 second pause at the top and hold to failure on the final rep) without dying :laugh:

Last edited:
Back