• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cns

JoeR.

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
In my last thread, which got torn a new one, I was given the explanation that the CNS is actually responsible for moving weight. Not exactly moving the weight but controlling the muscles that are moving the weight. I guess I will use the pec again as a example to ask my question.

Since the pec has only 2 insertion points, how is it that you dont incline bench as much as you can flat bench. After all you are using the exact same muscle and it only inserts one point. The CNS was the answer, but can the CNS know if you are doing flat, incline, decline, and how can it adjust the amount that your muscle can move?

JoeR. said:
Since the pec has only 2 insertion points, how is it that you dont incline bench as much as you can flat bench. After all you are using the exact same muscle and it only inserts one point.

because the higher you incline the more that you incorporate your shoulders, so an incline press is utilizing more of the delts, less of the pecs compared to flat.

Decline and incline both will change which muscles you favor, versus a flat bench. On a steep decline I can add about 40-50 pounds to my bench instantly. I end up benching lower on the chest also, which reduces the distance pressed.

Mudge said:
Decline and incline both will change which muscles you favor, versus a flat bench. On a steep decline I can add about 40-50 pounds to my bench instantly. I end up benching lower on the chest also, which reduces the distance pressed.

Why can you add more to decline, is it just from there being less shoulder involved?

JoeR. said:
Why can you add more to decline, is it just from there being less shoulder involved?

I think it's because you bring more of your lats into the equation on decline.. allowing you to put more up??

JoeR. said:

Yes, simply stated at a decline the shoulders are used the least and pecs the most; the higher you incline the opposite happens, shoulders used more, pecs less.

Since the pec has only 2 insertion points, how is it that you dont incline bench as much as you can flat bench

It is a different plane of motion. Strength is relative to:
1) the plane of motion you train in
2) the range of motion you train in
3) the environment that you train in

Mess with one of those components and things are not the same. For example if you usaully do 1/4 squats and take that same weight and try to go ass to the floor you will bomb out. Why? because you aren't strong in that ROM. Similiarly, if you were to just do bench press for months and months and then went to do incline press you will not be as strong because the plane of motion is changes (recruiting more delts, etc..as Rob said.). This is the reason that it is important for people to work at "different angles" (ie flat, incline, decline), to make sure to build functional strength in ALL planes of motion not just one. Oh yeah, and I think it builds you upper chest too. :laugh:

benching incline is easyer than flat for me, especially dumbbells, i do the same weight for flat and incline.

JoeR. said:

What Prince covered, plus the forementioned shorter distance.

Back