• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Acromio-clavicular (A/C) joint pain and Bench Pressing

fmiceli

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi Everyone,
I've done a search of this forum and cannot find the answer I was looking for.
I have been avoiding bench pressing for a while becasue of pain in my A/C joint. Regardless of what grip I use, it still hurts. I do not have any problems with my rotator cuff, tendonitis, or bursitis. I can do dips and military presses (to the front, not the back of the head) without any problems. Dumbell presses are ok as well as long as I lift and lower the weight along a specific plane. Has anyone heard of this problem and its causes? I suspect it could be a muscle imbalance but I do not know.
Any insight is greatly appreciated. I would like to get back into regular barbell bench pressing.
Thank you.....

you might be impinging your supraspinatus, do you bench with your elbows flared out to the sides (aka bodybuilder bench).

AC and SC joint problems are common in lifters and can be avoided by watching form, ROM, and avoiding certain exercises (like behind the neck pulldowns).

Personally I would find a chiro who is familiar with sports injuries and extremity adjusting to take a look at it...I had an SC joint malposition that my ortho said would be only fixed by an operation....one adjustment and it was 100% better. This is not to say that you will get the same results....obviously mine was a true malposition (aka subluxation) and only needed realignment.

If you did actually tear the ligament (acromioclavicular ligament) causing a true separation then you may need surgery or extensive rehab. My thoughts are always to try the most conservative methods first.

Go to the chiro...see what he says...if he is good and can fix it he will....and if not he should be able to make the right diagnosis and send you to the right Dr for fixin'

DrChiro said:
AC and SC joint problems are common in lifters and can be avoided by watching form, ROM, and avoiding certain exercises (like behind the neck pulldowns).

Personally I would find a chiro who is familiar with sports injuries and extremity adjusting to take a look at it...I had an SC joint malposition that my ortho said would be only fixed by an operation....one adjustment and it was 100% better. This is not to say that you will get the same results....obviously mine was a true malposition (aka subluxation) and only needed realignment.

If you did actually tear the ligament (acromioclavicular ligament) causing a true separation then you may need surgery or extensive rehab. My thoughts are always to try the most conservative methods first.

Go to the chiro...see what he says...if he is good and can fix it he will....and if not he should be able to make the right diagnosis and send you to the right Dr for fixin'

great advice doc. one question though, SC? Forgive me its been a while since i read any anatomy.

my bad....sternoclavicular joint

the clavicle articulates medially with the sternum (breast bone) and laterally with the acromion.

both hare succeptible to injury when lifting although the AC joint is much more commonly injured.

I separated my SC joint by dropping a heavy DB after doing DB bench press and not letting go of the damn thing...it tractioned my arm and seperated the joint...and damn did it hurt!

DrChiro said:
my bad....sternoclavicular joint

the clavicle articulates medially with the sternum (breast bone) and laterally with the acromion.

both hare succeptible to injury when lifting although the AC joint is much more commonly injured.

I separated my SC joint by dropping a heavy DB after doing DB bench press and not letting go of the damn thing...it tractioned my arm and seperated the joint...and damn did it hurt!

ok i gotcha, thanks for the info doc.

Back