• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Letters/numbers.......in or out

Sapphire

P/RR/S groupie
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Chris and I are having a debate regarding how the plates should be placed on the barbell.... numbers/letters facing in or facing out.

I say it doesn't matter, HE says they HAVE to face in. :rolleyes: or it will be easier to lift. :yawn: No really, he says it makes a difference. WELL??? Opinions???????????

Darlin you know the answer to that. It depends on what time it is ... and more importantly the COLOR of the wieghts. Please remember to never load red and blue plates on the same bar as they will explode.

I know you're J/K ... :D

I will humor the question.... I do not feel it makes a difference. How does Chris feel about mixing different brands/makes of plates? ;)

Plates facing IN always. It does matter.(the weight doesnt change though)

You place the plates flat side out, so that if you put a smaller plate on the outside(say a 45lb then a 10lb next to it) that they fit "snug".

PreMier said:

You place the plates flat side out, so that if you put a smaller plate on the outside(say a 45lb then a 10lb next to it) that they fit "snug".

I typically have the letters facing out. I have no problems with the plates being snug since I do not use the useless springy things for collars. I use collars like OSC-2-1/2K Cast Iron Olympic 2" Spin Collar. See http://www.multisportsfitness.com/weights.htm I do not trust the springy collars. I do not use them for anything. I have like 10 sets, that I have acquired over the years collecting dust in my garage. I have heard of folks using them as 1 pound wts on dumbbells. But I have the collars with T-handles for that.

In this pic, ALL the numbers are in. All I can say, is its the right way.

attachment.php

PreMier said:

Exactly what he said. :thumb:

Plates facing IN always.

OH IT MATTERS.

I know there is no real backing to WHY it matters. But it does. If I load a big squat with a plate the wrong way, I miss it. It's always worked out that way. When I worked out with my brother, it was that way for both of us. We used to fuck with each other and slip a plate on backwards, and like clockwoprk, we would miss the lift.

I can't explain it, but it is CRUCIAL that the numbers/letterswhatever face IN.

IML Gear Cream!
PreMier said:
In this pic, ALL the numbers are in. All I can say, is its the right way.

attachment.php

I looked at an old Golds Gym Mass Building book that I have, and every single picture (and there are lots of them) have the letters facing in, just as many of you have stated. I do not understand why it would make a difference though. Is it tradition? Or is there a real reason? Is it easier to hold the plates with the lip away from your body (so fingers can grab edges)? I am not trying to be a smart ass, I am just trying to understand the logic to something I never gave much thought to. Especially since there seems to be many folks who feel the letter should go in and not out.

We have rubber coated plates at my gym, numbers on both sides. I may never be able to lift anything heavy now. I might as well quit now or find a different gym.

pmech said:
We have rubber coated plates at my gym, numbers on both sides. I may never be able to lift anything heavy now. I might as well quit now or find a different gym.

:haha:

Sapphire said:
Chris and I are having a debate regarding how the plates should be placed on the barbell.... numbers/letters facing in or facing out.

I say it doesn't matter, HE says they HAVE to face in. :rolleyes: or it will be easier to lift. :yawn: No really, he says it makes a difference. WELL??? Opinions???????????

Sapphy...Chris doesn't really think it makes a difference, does he?

By the way...I like em facing in just because.

hahaha.

There is no real reason to face the plates in any direction. For me it's superstition. Although it's true we've missed lifts simply because a plate or two were facing the wrong way.

gopro said:
Sapphy...Chris doesn't really think it makes a difference, does he?

By the way...I like em facing in just because.
Chris is sitting right here and insists that YES it does make a difference, cause Arnold says so. :shrug: :crazy:

i like them facing in b/c it's somehow just seems more tidy/consistent and "right"

but then again...i'm kinda nuts :grin:

Sapphire said:
Chris is sitting right here and insists that YES it does make a difference, cause Arnold says so. :shrug: :crazy:

Tell Chris that he should NOT consider becoming a physics professor, but might want to teach a class in mysticism.

I workout with my Dad, he is very anal about the letters/numbers facing out so you can read what you have on the bar, I face them in because I figure you know what you are putting on the bar, so why would it matter, but he is psycho crazy about it, I get a kick about it!!! sometimes I even set him up my way on purpose, just to see him go insane!!! :D :dance: :evil: :funny:

IML Gear Cream!
I believe in powerlifting circles, they put the innermost plate facing in and all others facing out. A PLer I know was very anal about that, I personally don't care.

Plus now I have the same issue as pmech since all of our weights are rubberized with numbers on both sides.

Think about the physics of the situation. The force of gravity on the bar is the mass x acceleration. Let's say the bar totals 50KG (Mass) with the weights included; the acceleration of gravity is 9.81m/s*s (Seconds are squared) towards the ground. Therefore, the force in the downward direction is 490.5N.

Guess what happens if you flip the weights around? The force in the downward direction is still exactly the same. Therefore, the force required to move the weight in an upward direction is still exactly the same. You can prefer to have the weights facing a certain way, but it makes no difference...

CowPimp said:
Think about the physics of the situation. The force of gravity on the bar is the mass x acceleration. Let's say the bar totals 50KG (Mass) with the weights included; the acceleration of gravity is 9.81m/s*s (Seconds are squared) towards the ground. Therefore, the force in the downward direction is 490.5N.

Guess what happens if you flip the weights around? The force in the downward direction is still exactly the same. Therefore, the force required to move the weight in an upward direction is still exactly the same. You can prefer to have the weights facing a certain way, but it makes no difference...

Great answer, but do you REALLY think that such detail was needed to figure this one out :)

gopro said:
Great answer, but do you REALLY think that such detail was needed to figure this one out :)

Apparently it is. I thought people were going to refute this with something simple like, "It's still the same amount of weight!" It appears that simple logic like that isn't enough. I thought it was a little crazy myself, but maybe it will make the difference to Sapphire's man.

CowPimp said:
Apparently it is. I thought people were going to refute this with something simple like, "It's still the same amount of weight!" It appears that simple logic like that isn't enough. I thought it was a little crazy myself, but maybe it will make the difference to Sapphire's man.

I'm still hoping he was just kidding around.

I have letters facing in because its easier for me to load, as long as its the same on both sides it doesn't make it any easier to lift.

45 pounds is 45 pounds.

gopro said:
I'm still hoping he was just kidding around.

He yells at me when I put them on the other way... :crazy: :crazy:

Now he is saying that Lance Armstrong always faces numbers in. :yawn: :doh: That explains IT!!!!

It's just a mental thing. Like I said, I've missed lifts for no other reason than a plate wasn't facing the "right way." There is no explanation for it other than mental.

Back