• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

weights before cardio... is this a myth?

pectoralbob

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've read about the pitfalls of cardio before resistance training. I started going to the gym regularly in June/July. The personal trainer there set out a pattern for me which is detailed below, and had cardio before weight training. After reading that this is wrong, I tried in the past few weeks to do weights first, but I find that when it comes to cardio I am too tired when I get to 7 mins or so on the treadmill. Is there any reason why the 'right' way isn't working for me?

I usually work out mid-afternoon, and tend to prepare for my workout by drinking lots of water through the day. I'm 22 years old, 5'8, weigh 146-150lbs and I eat healthy meals but also sweets/potato chips as snacks. I only drink water, and rarely drink alcohol.

My recommended regime by the personal trainer is this, and I do this each day I go to the gym (3-4 days per week) :

30 mins cardio :
1.) 5-7 mins bike ride (burn 60-70 cals)
2.) 10-15 mins run at 12 km per hour (burn around 200 cals)
3.) 5 minute row to warm muscles up for lifting

30-45 mins resistance :
1.) various free weights exercises. 12kg per arm.
2.) leg press machine at 107kg x 3 sets of 10 reps.
3.) machine weights (chest press, row etc...)
4.) leg curl machine 57kg x 3 sets of 10 reps.
5.) bench press 35kg and lat pulldown machine 60kg.

then warmdown with 5 mins of ab work, back extensions, and various stretches

is there any way you can see that I could optimise this workout?

cheers in advance

- european bob!

What exactly are your goals...

it all depends on your goals. If you're training for some event/race/endurance then go wtih cardio first. If you're looking to pack on muscle then go with weights first. I hear ya about feeling drained for cardio but the worse thing you can do is do cardio first and then do a half-assed weights workout, to me this is more important. Your only alternative would be to split the days - maybe Mon, Wed, Fri - weights and then Tues, Thurs & possibly Sat - cardio.

It is hard to evaluate any program without knowing what your goals are? What specifically do you want to accomplish by working out and why does the trainer think this program will help you reach these goals?

There is nothing wrong with doing cardio on separate days from weights if you are too tired to do it after weight training.

Back