• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cholesterol and Triglycerides

ZECH

Founder of GOSB
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cholesterol/a/choltri.htm

Why they're important, who needs to be treated, how to treat
What is Cholesterol? What are triglycerides?
Cholesterol and triglycerides are two forms of lipid, or fat. Both cholesterol and triglycerides are necessary for life itself. Cholesterol is necessary, among other things, for building cell membranes and for making several essential hormones. Triglycerides, which are chains of high-energy fatty acids, provide much of the energy needed for cells to function.
Where do cholesterol and triglycerides come from?
There are two sources for these lipids: dietary sources, and endogenous sources (i.e., manufactured within the body).
Dietary cholesterol and triglycerides mainly come from eating animal products and saturated fat. These dietary lipids are absorbed through the gut,and then are delivered through the bloodstream to the liver, where they are processed.

One of the main jobs of the liver is to make sure all the tissues of the body receive the cholesterol and triglycerides they need to function.

Sponsored Links
What's Your RealAge?
Is your high cholesterol aging you? Take the free RealAge test.
www.realage.com

Endur-acin®
SR Niacin (Nicotinic Acid) Research demonstrates good efficacy
http://www.endur.com

Lower Your Cholesterol
by up to 41% in 60 days or less. Proven safe. Guaranteed results!
www.menshealthtech.com
Whenever possible (i.e., for about 8 hours after a meal), the liver takes up dietary cholesterol and triglycerides from bloodstream. During times when dietary lipids are not available, the liver produces cholesterol and triglycerides itself.
The liver then packages the cholesterol and triglycerides, along with special proteins, into tiny spheres called lipoproteins. The lipoproteins are released into the circulation, and are delivered to the cells of the body. The cells remove the needed cholesterol and triglycerides from the lipoproteins, as they are needed.

What are LDL and HDL?
LDL stands for ???low density lipoprotein,??? and HDL for ???high density lipoprotein.??? In the bloodstream, ???bad??? cholesterol is carried in LDL, and ???good??? cholesterol is carried in HDL. Most cholesterol in the blood comes from LDL. Only a small proportion is from HDL cholesterol. Thus, the total cholesterol level in the blood is usually a reflection of the amount of LDL cholesterol.
Why are high cholesterol levels bad?
When LDL cholesterol levels (i.e., the ???bad??? cholesterol) are too high, the LDL tends to stick the lining of the blood vessels, leading to the stimulation of ???atherosclerosis,??? or hardening of the arteries. Atherosclerotic ???plaques??? cause narrowing of the arteries, and lead to heart attacks and strokes. Therefore, an elevated LDL cholesterol levels is a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
Why is some cholesterol called ???good cholesterol????
Much evidence has now accumulated that increased HDL cholesterol levels are associated with a lower risk of heart disease, and that low HDL cholesterol levels are associated with an increased risk of heart disease. Thus, HDL cholesterol appears to be ???good.???
Why is HDL cholesterol protective? Nobody knows for sure, but it appears that it???s not the cholesterol itself that is good, it???s the "vehicle." There is some evidence that the HDL molecule ???scours??? the walls of blood vessels, and cleans out excess cholesterol. If this is the case, the cholesterol being carried by HDL (that is, the ???good??? HDL cholesterol) is actually ???bad??? cholesterol that has just been removed from blood vessels, and is being transported back to the liver for further processing. Apparently, unlike some bad humans, bad cholesterol can be rehabilitated.

Why are triglycerides the Rodney Dangerfield of lipids?
Triglycerides get little respect. Their measurement is part of a standard blood lipid profile, but for the most part doctors don???t know what to do when triglyceride levels are modestly elevated. Why is that? While high triglyceride levels have been associated with heart disease, no study has yet proven that high triglyceride levels are an independent risk factor for heart disease. So doctors don???t have the evidence they need to recommend aggressive triglyceride-lowering therapy.
The problem is, patients with elevated triglyceride levels almost invariably have other major risk factors for heart disease (mainly obesity, diabetes, and/or high blood pressure), and so far it has not been possible to sort out whether the triglycerides themselves pose an independent risk.

The most difficult-to-sort-out association is that between triglycerides and HDL cholesterol. It turns out that whenever triglycerides are increased, HDL cholesterol decreases. So is the increased risk seen with high triglycerides due to the triglycerides themselves, or to the associated reduction in ???good??? cholesterol? So far, nobody can say for sure.

However, recent evidence strongly suggests that an elevated triglyceride level is a significant risk factor for cardiac disease - especially when it is elevated as part of the "metabolic syndrome X." Click here for a brief review of metabolic syndrome X.

I thought dietary cholesterol didn´t have an affect on serum levels. So it was not important. When did it change again? I´m so confused.

Last edited:
You have two sources................one from the food you eat and two what you inherit. If you have bad genetics, you really have to be careful what you eat.

I just wanted to add that dietary cholesterol doesn't really (I believe) affect serum cholesterol unless it has been oxidized (i.e. heated i.p.o. oxygen).

I always eat my egg yolks runny for that reason.

Good way to get salmonella poisoning.

lol. Free range organic eggs, not much chance mate. 1 in 30000 ? I'll take those odds for a healthier lifestyle.

In any case, I'm not sure they're technically raw... I fry my eggs in a pan with coconut oil, it's just I don't cook the yolks solid.

It's the trans fat that affects cholesterol levels. And coconut is loaded with fat.

Results of tests from a total of 4,753 samples of six or more eggs from various retail outlets (shops, supermarkets and markets) were included in the survey. Of these, 50% were eggs from caged production, 16.5% were barn eggs, 16.9% were free-range eggs and 16.6% were organic eggs. The overall prevalence of salmonella per box of 6 eggs is 0.34% which is roughly one box in every 290. In the previous survey in 1995/96 in England the prevalence was 0.99%, which is equivalent to approximately one box in every 100. Therefore the level of salmonella contamination is now one third of what is was in 1996. Most salmonella is found on the outside of eggs.

Trans fat is very bad (except for CLA), and I'm sure it does negatively affect serum cholesterol... but there isn't any in coconut oil. In fact, I use it because it is less likely to form any in the cooking process.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/coconut-oil.htm

I cook with it because it is highly saturated and therefore the most heat stable oil. I never said anything about trying to eat low fat, so I don't know why you had to point out that coconut is loaded with fat... I watch my macros, and fyi coconut oil is 96% fat or more, of which most is saturated. My macros are 165g fat, 280g protein and 350g carbs, I'm 200lbs.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

if you're about to argue that coconut oil is bad for me, please do some research.

As for your data, it is heavily skewed towards caged produced eggs, and barn eggs. I'm talking about eggs which are both free range and organic simultaneously. I can't back up my 1 in 30000 claim, it's just something I heard somewhere, when I get salmonella I'll let you know.

Coconut oil is 92% saturated. But because coconut oil is a completely saturated fat it does not form dangerous trans fatty acids. There are studies that show coconut oil can be benificial.

IML Gear Cream!
right..like I said. Coconut oil is awesome :rocker:

not my first choice though

I think this statement sums it up very nicely..................

Elevated triglycerides in the blood have been positively linked to proneness to heart disease, but these triglycerides do not come directly from dietary fats; they are made in the liver from any excess sugars that have not been used for energy. The source of these excess sugars is any food containing carbohydrates, particularly refined sugar and white flour.

Back