• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Body Fat Scale

Pylon

Squishy
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was thinking of buying a body fat analyzer/scale. I get measured every 2 months with calipers, but I think having more feedback as I go would be good. (Assuming the number is going in the right direction, anyway.) Does anyone else use them, and are there any that are head and shoulders above the rest?

if anything I would get some digital calipers. they can at least be used to measure changes in body fat.

scales that use bioelectrical impedance to measure body fat are junk. they are not accurate at all as even minute variances in hydration levels can effect readings...

Even calipers aren't totally accurate. However, they can give you a good indication of change as long as other variables remain the same. Bodyfat scales leave themselves open to a lot of variables.

They can be used to some effect, you just have to take measures to reduce outside variables. For example, weigh yourself first thing in the morning. Your bodily state should be fairly similar assuming you follow some sort of diet plan and schedule based around work and/or school.

Either way, I find no reason to spend your money on the scale if you already have calipers.

My personal opinion... DON'T waste your money!
I have the Tanita scales which are supposed to be good ones but they are a piece of shit!
When I was pre-contest and at my leanest they were reading me as 29% bf which there is no way in hell.
Also some things I don't understand and maybe someone can give me some answers, why if I switch my gender to male do I suddenly drop about 10% bf, isn't body fat body fat regardless of gender :confused: Also Tanita makes a scale for athletic people, same question again. I was told because I am athletic I should get those type of scales and my body fat percentage would come out lower and more accurate?! :scratch:

BritChick said:
Also some things I don't understand and maybe someone can give me some answers, why if I switch my gender to male do I suddenly drop about 10% bf, isn't body fat body fat regardless of gender :confused:

the data used to perform the calculations in handheld digital calipers and digital scales are all based on statistics...

LAM said:
the data used to perform the calculations in handheld digital calipers and digital scales are all based on statistics...
Exactly, the only truly accurate measurement is during the autopsy.
frown.gif

Pylon said:
I was thinking of buying a body fat analyzer/scale. I get measured every 2 months with calipers, but I think having more feedback as I go would be good. (Assuming the number is going in the right direction, anyway.) Does anyone else use them, and are there any that are head and shoulders above the rest?
Those scales are WAY OFF! It measured me at 26% in the pic you see in my signature :WTF: The calipers said 11%

It depends on the scale as well. I was reading up about Tanita scales, and apparently they are pretty accurate. One mag did a test comparing Tanita's results to 'dunk tests' or water displacement tests. Came within 1-2% which isn't bad. It really does depend on the test, though. When I joined my gym, I was probably in my mid to high teens in terms of body fat. The stupid thing calculated me as 9%. Uh huh. My friend who is even leaner measured at 26%.

Back