• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Smith Straight back straight leg deadlift - is that good?

machinehead

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi,
today i did this exercise, the gym coach told me to stop and he said he doesnt know this exercise and i destroy my back because of that.
i do this exercise for a month and i dont feel any problems.
Another thing he told me why i overload weights, i put on the smith 30KG every side and i feld that i can do more.
this exercise of for the hamstrings
Here is the link for this exercise:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/SMStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

It's an excellent exercise to strengthten your posterior chain. I don't see why you would want to do it on a smitch machine, but the same principle applies.

It is typically recommended not to do it with a straight leg because hyperextention of the knee can result. This is why most do a stiff legged deadlift, not straight legged. I did them straight legged incidentally with 455 for a few reps and was ok, but I stopped doing them.

Now that I've gotten used to the good mornings, I prefer them.

I would never do them on a smith, but I also move further than she does.

machinehead said:
Hi,
today i did this exercise, the gym coach told me to stop and he said he doesnt know this exercise and i destroy my back because of that.
i do this exercise for a month and i dont feel any problems.
Another thing he told me why i overload weights, i put on the smith 30KG every side and i feld that i can do more.
this exercise of for the hamstrings
Here is the link for this exercise:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/SMStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

personally any exercise that I can do with free weights I do. there is no advantage in using a machine for this and many other exercises...

The simple fact you can use a free barbell for this instead of a Smith Machine, which greatly increases your chance of back injury makes this a no brainer IMO.

Mudge said:
It is typically recommended not to do it with a straight leg because hyperextention of the knee can result. This is why most do a stiff legged deadlift, not straight legged. I did them straight legged incidentally with 455 for a few reps and was ok, but I stopped doing them.

Now that I've gotten used to the good mornings, I prefer them.

I would never do them on a smith, but I also move further than she does.

good mornings ROCK!!!

i also wouldnt do them on a smith machine because of the decreased activity of synergist muscles

I'd imagine that with doing GM's you couldn't use anywhere near us much weight as SLSL's, do they still hit the hammies as effectively?

The reason why i do this exercise with smith machine because i kind of newbie, just 4 months in the gym.
squat i do with smith machine too, i dont think i'm in a level that i can do with free barbell.
about good morning, a friend told me that this exercise not good for the back and not for the hamstrings.
so i still considering what to do...
please help me :) , i just want to work on the hamstrings and not on the erector spinae

The reason why i do this exercise with smith machine because i kind of newbie
I don't agree with this philosophy, IMO the correct way to start and learn is to learn free weight exercises using strict form and light weights, unless you have some medical reason for not being able to. There is no reason why a newbie shouldn't learn squats, deads etc with a free barbell from day 1, just keep the weights appropriately light/heavy to keep form good.

For hamstrings, SLDL's with barbell and leg curls :thumb:

It doesn't matter what level you think you area at.
Move to the free weight. learn the proper movement, try them with very light wweight to get the feel of the movement. When you feel comfortable with it, then do working sets.
DEFINATELY STOP doing squats on that machine! use the bar bell! Same as above. learn the movement. (squats seem to be the most incorrectly done exercise..yet bes overall exercise you can do)
Once you are under the bar and ready to go down:
'set' your abs. Stance is shoulder wide or just over, hands wider are better for stability.
Make sure to either look somewhat up or at least level. do not look down.
Start down, straight down. Do not bend over at the back. You are at the bottom when your thighs are paralel to the ground, not before.
Now, go back up and repeat.
hope that helps

IML Gear Cream!
smith machine = fixed/unnatural ROM, NEVER rely on machines, they don't work your stabilizers, free weight gives you maximum gains.
best hamstring exercises = SLDL and good mornings. keep your legs as straight as possible without locking them or slightly bend.

hey,
today i went to the gym, i talked to the coach and he said he still dont want me to do the Straight leg straight deadlift, and he said that good morning work on the erector spinae and deadlift too.
so i asked him what exercise can i do to the hamstrings additional to the leg curls - he said there isnt any exercise for that.
any opinions?

rubbish

Your coach sounds to be nearly as stupid as the coaches at my school, which is why I don't do sports with these morons or take the strength and conditioning classes at my school. I have 3 friends, all whom follow the incorrect form and routine prescribed by these morons (basically Bench, Squat, Bench, Squat, ect.) and they see minimal gains and all of them are constantly hurt and unable to do many exercises continuously.

Hell, I couldn't do bench or shoulder presses for about a month because of a severe shoulder sprain I aqcuired by benching perpendicular and I am still stronger than them. And they have been in football conditioning for a year an a half now.

Back