• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Doing more harm than good?

Stallions05

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
My friend and I just starting working out "seriously" about 2 weeks ago. I feel that i am getting stronger but i am worried i am doing more harm than good do to the fact that we work out everyday (monday - Friday)

Monday - Chest, Bi, calvs, abs
Tuesday - Shoulders, Tri, back, quads
...then repeat every other day

Is this doing anything for me ... if no, any suggestions on a GOOD workout plan for gaining muscle mass would be great...thanks!

Deadlifts 2 x 8-12
Olympic Squats 2 x 8-12

Bent Rows 2 x 8-12
Chinups 2 x 8-12

Bench Press 2 x 8-12
Military Press 2 x 8-12

Decline Situps 2 x 8-12
Standing Calf Raises 2 x 8-12

That's the beginner's routine I generally recommend. Don't worry about the lack of direct arm work. Your arms will get pounded by the compound exercises. Incorporate the direct arm work later after you build a base with these heavily compound exercises. Use this routine for 9-12 weeks, and then use your results to plan out your next split. I suggest doing it 3 days per week. Every other day is also acceptable though.

Your routine looks a little much Stallion and CowPimp, yours looks a little light don't you think? I think you can probably find a happy medium in between.

I love my current workout, which is an important thing that motivates you to stick with it. It's my favorite one I've ever had. Here it is if you're interested (along with dietary recommendations from the same site from which I took the basis of the routine):

Let's summarize the dietary recommendations:
1.) Consume 25 calories per day per pound of bodyweight (i.e. a 200 lb man will consume 5000 calories per day).
2.) Eat four meals per day combined with two shakes (one shake between meals two and three, and one right before bed).
3.) Calorie content of your meals should be heaviest in the morning and taper down throughout the day.
4.) Your macronutrient consumption should be 32/40/28 (percent protein, carbohydrates, and fats respectively).
5.) Avoid overly processed foods and refined sugars.

Tuesday:
-DB Presses:
-Warm up: 1x10 (60);
-Workout: 2x5 (90)
-Dips: 2x1
-DB Extensions: 2x6 (20)
-Calf Raises: 2x20 (90)
-Squats:
-Warm up: 1x10 (45);
-Regular Stance: 3x6 (95, 115, 135) (I'll set it at 135; I was seeing what weight to use)

Wednesday:
-T-bar Rows:
-Warm up: 1x12 (62.5);
-Workout: 3x6 (92.5)
-DB Shoulder Presses:
-Warm up: 1x12 (20);
-Workout: 2x6 (50)
-Barbell Curls:
-Warm up: 1x10 (45);
-Workout: 3x6 (55)

Friday:

-DB Presses:
-Warm up: 1x10 (60);
-Workout: 2x5 (90)
-DB Incline Presses:
-DB Extensions: 2x6 (30)
-Deadlifts:
-Warm up: 1x6 Regular (102.5);
-Stiff-Legged: 2x3 (172.5);
-Regular: 2x3 (172.5)
-Calf Raises: 2x20 (90)

Saturday:
-Reverse Grip Cable Chins:
-Warm up: 1x12 (60);
-Workout: 2x6 (110)
-Curl Grip Cable Chins: 2x6 (110)
-DB Shoulder Presses:
-DB Hammer Curls:
-Workout: 2x6 (40)

CowPimp -- I love the beginner workout that you layed out, but I don't know if its possible to do deadlifts one day, and then go right at it again just a day of rest later.

IMO if youre a beginner , just do a 3 day split with about 2 exercises per main muscle and aim for 2 sets of around 12 reps each. For the legs , try to do 3 exercises. Try this for a few weeks and then , go to a harder routine as your body gets used to lifting weights and being able to go more intense.

I guess u can say i am a beginner to weight training but i have always been athletic with playing basketball for bout 7 years now...i am a hard gainer and looking for the most effective way to gain muscle mass if that helps any...

If you're a beginner to weight lifting, you really don't know whether or not you're a hardgainer yet. You might be surprised at the results you achieve.

I'm more with CowPimp, stick with basic, compound movements, although his workout is pretty intense for a beginner. These will build a good base for development later.

Squaggleboggin's five dietary recs were right on target, and his workout is a lot like what mine is currently also. You'll know when to move on to a more specialized split (as opposed to doing your whole body in one or two workouts) because you'll get done with a movement, say squats, and you'll know that you can do so much more to thrash those quads. Starting out, though, 2 or 3 sets of 8-12 reps on squats will make you plenty sore in the morning.

Back