• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Post Workout Dilemma

Iceman

Cutting-5'11" 196lbs 14%
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I workout right after work and I'd like my post workout meal to be a shake but the problem is I don't workout until 5pm, then I get home about 630 and the woman has dinner ready. Would it be okay to have my post workout shake AND the meal as well??? If so, what should they consist of as far as splits...I do a 50-30-20 pcf ratio and I'm eating about 2000 cals a day on my cuts.....

Any ideas, sugguestions on what I should do, or can do for that matter, thanks ....

you are supposed to have a shake immediately after working out and then a meal about an hour later. thats what i do. dont have fat with the meal.

Iceman said:
I workout right after work and I'd like my post workout meal to be a shake but the problem is I don't workout until 5pm, then I get home about 630 and the woman has dinner ready. Would it be okay to have my post workout shake AND the meal as well??? If so, what should they consist of as far as splits...I do a 50-30-20 pcf ratio and I'm eating about 2000 cals a day on my cuts.....

Any ideas, sugguestions on what I should do, or can do for that matter, thanks ....
Take a shaker bottle with whey, skim milk powder and some oats in it to the gym with you. After you are finished working out, fill it with water and drink. Then drive home and enjoy the lovely meal that your wife has so very nicely made for you! ;)

We can't tell you exactly what they should be made of, but generally:

PWO shake: Carbs + protein
carbs - banana, skim milk/skim milk powder, thinly rolled oats
protein - whey protein isolate

If you are cutting then you might want to stick to the oats and whey only.

PWO meal: Carbs + protein + a little healthy fats
carbs - sweet tato, legumes (chick peas, beans), brown rice, oats, barley etc
proteins - lean meats (chicken, seafood, turkey etc), eggs/egg whites
fats - fatty fish, fish oil capsules, some nuts, olive oil, seeds etc.

Emma, I thought milk for post workout shake would slow the protein digestion?

also, a friend of mine suggested that oats PWO may not be an ideal form of carbohydrate (too complex)

he says you want a more simple form of carbohydrate that can be broken down faster to act as a transporter to help move protein into the muscles quicker...

sara said:
Emma, I thought milk for post workout shake would slow the protein digestion?
It will not slow it down to a noticable degree (skim - there is no fat plus the liquid nature of the milk means that the passage of the whey/liquid phase of the meal continues without much delay).

By the way - Oats will actually slow digestion too - but you don't see anyone complaining about that! ;)

I agree but at the same time disagree with Emma. Will that 1 cup of milk slow things down...........not too much but it still will slow things down a bit. Yes, the oats will slow it down too but why make it worse with Milk & Oats? So therefore I feel that milk should be left out PWO and stick with water in the shake.

If you want milk then make a shake at another time as an MRP with the milk then. :shrug:

JMHO and I feel making a choice what to add PWO really comes down to goals, timeframe to reach goals and metabolism.

i started to scrap the oats in my PWO shake and will now just mix my powder with straight water and drink a glass of OJ on the side... what are some peoples thoughts on that?

If you want to do the post workout spike, go with malt/dextrose
OJ's sugar doesn't contain malt/dext

does the sugar/carbs in oats contain "malt/dextrose"?

i'm a lot more educated when it comes to weight training and nutrition than the average joe but there is still a lot i need to learn about what's best to eat when and why...

Jodi said:
I agree but at the same time disagree with Emma. Will that 1 cup of milk slow things down...........not too much but it still will slow things down a bit. Yes, the oats will slow it down too but why make it worse with Milk & Oats? So therefore I feel that milk should be left out PWO and stick with water in the shake.

If you want milk then make a shake at another time as an MRP with the milk then. :shrug:

JMHO and I feel making a choice what to add PWO really comes down to goals, timeframe to reach goals and metabolism.

I totally agree with Jodi "Hot back". No milk, no oats, no nothing except water and whey for PWO shake. Save the milk for an MRP or chasing down a protein bar as a "meal". "Adds" more protein to the bar as a meal and slows down the whey in the bar from digesting too quickly and becoming catabolic.

MTN WARRIOR said:
No milk, no oats, no nothing except water and whey for PWO shake.

no carbs? :confused:

i thought carbs were essential to consume PWO in order to replenish glycogen stores?

Am I wrong here? I've been drinking my shakes, all of them, with milk forever. In fact I drink them with whole milk because I was always under the impression you need fats to properly digest protein in the first place.:confused:

I could probably spend days in these forums educating myself on nutrition. I have no trouble with what to do in the gym, it's the out of the gym part that I'm lousy at. I'm certain my HotPocket mini meals are high on anyone's "good to eat" list. Right now I usually eat eggs or a hotpocket. I mix two shakes up that between the milk and the three scoops in each I'm right around 90grams of protein in them so I drink around a third of one six times throughout the day to even my protein intake. it's the fat and carbs that I need to balance a little better.

No, don't drink you PWO shake with Whole Milk because you are extremely slowing down digestion of the protein. You don't need fat to digest protein at all.

Skib said:
i started to scrap the oats in my PWO shake and will now just mix my powder with straight water and drink a glass of OJ on the side... what are some peoples thoughts on that?

you need to drink a form of juice that has a higher GI so you get a greater insulin response. grape or pineapple juice would be much better than oj.

LAM said:
you need to drink a form of juice that has a higher GI so you get a greater insulin response. grape or pineapple juice would be much better than oj.

sweet

i like grape juice better than OJ anyways and it just so happens my mom just stocked up : )

I am also in the same boat as Iceman, but i like to drink half of my myoplex (powdered mixed with water ) meal replacement protein shake before i workout and then the rest when i am done. Is this bad for me buy consuming protein before working out? I would'nt think so cause it would give me some energy and protein to feed on while working out and then more after, and of course i have a meal waiting for me when i get home.

Back