• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

calorie requirments

brian2440

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have been reading articles on John Berardi's web site and he says to figure your cals off of your lbm. Is this how everyone figures there cals? The way I see it I weigh 195 pounds and I am 20% bf so I have 156 pounds of lbm. I take that times 12 and come up with 1900 cals. Does this seem low to anyone else. I am trying to cut right now. My calipers are skinfold calipers and it tell me to take a reading from one spot and that is right above my hip. I was also wondering how accurate a reading this will provide. I know the digital ones want readings from three separate spots which seems to me to be more accurate.

Seems a bit low. Should it be off LBM or total weight?

Anyhow, don't worry too much where you start (though I would strive to make sure it is high enough as you have done). You just start in the ballpark (for you I would say 3000? would be around maintenance so maybe start at 2600-2800 cals and see how you go. Simply adjust after a week depending how your bw and composition changes.

brian2440 said:
I have been reading articles on John Berardi's web site and he says to figure your cals off of your lbm. Is this how everyone figures there cals? The way I see it I weigh 195 pounds and I am 20% bf so I have 156 pounds of lbm. I take that times 12 and come up with 1900 cals. Does this seem low to anyone else. I am trying to cut right now.
I don't really agree with Berardi's calculations.. But are you sure that is not your BASAL metabolic rate?? You probably need to multiply that by an activity factor.

Anyway - There are rought guidelines you can follow for calculations of calories I like this formula:
BMR = 21 x LBM (kg) + 400 = 1890 for you

Multiply by your activity factor:
For most active people (3-5 times a week at the gym and fairly active in everyday activity) = 1.5-1.6 = 1890 x 1.5 = 2830 - 3000 cals.

If you are less active, then multiply by less. If you are more active, multiply by more.

Then, for fat loss you want less than this, therefore subtract 5 to 10% = 150-300 cals and see what happens. So, that would mean starting somewhere between 2500 and 2800 cals.

In realilty, these are HUGELY variable and you are usually better off going by TRIAL AND ERROR! Start at what YOU feel is your maintainence and stick to it for two weeks or so. See what happens to your weight/BF. If you make progress, then leave it. If you don't, lower cals slightly and try again. If you gain weight, lower cals by more and try again.

My calipers are skinfold calipers and it tell me to take a reading from one spot and that is right above my hip. I was also wondering how accurate a reading this will provide. I know the digital ones want readings from three separate spots which seems to me to be more accurate.
single site calipers are pretty inaccurate. Why not just use them to take a 3 site, 4 site or 7 site reading and then use online conversion calculators to find your BF%??

do you know a good website that has the calculations off hand. If not I will do a search for them.

brian2440 said:
do you know a good website that has the calculations off hand. If not I will do a search for them.

The problem I am having is that noo matter where I put my calories I am not losing body fat or weight. 2100, 2500, or 2800 calories and it seems that I might lose a pound or two a month.

brian2440 said:
The problem I am having is that noo matter where I put my calories I am not losing body fat or weight. 2100, 2500, or 2800 calories and it seems that I might lose a pound or two a month.
How much time are you giving it?

Emma-Leigh said:
How much time are you giving it?

I tried 2100 cals for a month or so then I went to 2500 for about the same amount. I recently decided to up to 2800 cals to see what happened. Maybe I am not giving things enough time and tring to rush things. I do not think sometimes.

ReelBigFish said:
What's your activity like?

I lift for 1hr on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I usally do Cardio two to four times a week for 20 to 30 min. Usally on my off days from lifting.

IML Gear Cream!
hmmm.. i dont man that's kind of odd that at 2100 for a month you only lost 1 or 2 lbs. Sounds like your calorie require are around 2300 but that seems really low for your size.

ReelBigFish said:
hmmm.. i dont man that's kind of odd that at 2100 for a month you only lost 1 or 2 lbs. Sounds like your calorie require are around 2300 but that seems really low for your size.

right now I am trying to be around 2500 cals a day. I think I may stay there and just run my ass off on the treadmill and lift like crazy in the gym.

Patience is the key. You'll get there man, just give it some time.

Emma-Leigh said:
I don't really agree with Berardi's calculations.. But are you sure that is not your BASAL metabolic rate?? You probably need to multiply that by an activity factor.

Anyway - There are rought guidelines you can follow for calculations of calories I like this formula:
BMR = 21 x LBM (kg) + 400 = 1890 for you

Multiply by your activity factor:
For most active people (3-5 times a week at the gym and fairly active in everyday activity) = 1.5-1.6 = 1890 x 1.5 = 2830 - 3000 cals.

If you are less active, then multiply by less. If you are more active, multiply by more.

Then, for fat loss you want less than this, therefore subtract 5 to 10% = 150-300 cals and see what happens. So, that would mean starting somewhere between 2500 and 2800 cals.

In realilty, these are HUGELY variable and you are usually better off going by TRIAL AND ERROR! Start at what YOU feel is your maintainence and stick to it for two weeks or so. See what happens to your weight/BF. If you make progress, then leave it. If you don't, lower cals slightly and try again. If you gain weight, lower cals by more and try again.

single site calipers are pretty inaccurate. Why not just use them to take a 3 site, 4 site or 7 site reading and then use online conversion calculators to find your BF%??

Yeah!

I read that a simple formula for figuring out your basic maintenance calories is Bodyweight multiplied times 10 + bodyweight twice. So if you weigh 195, then
195 x 10 = 1950 plus 195 plus 195 = 2340. It's supposed to be good for someone who works out and does a little cardio. Dunno if it's perfect, but it seems close.

Back