• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Do I need a refeed?

musclepump

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey all-

If anyone has followed my journal (http://ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=42316&page=2), they know I'm at a standstill. I've been eating 2,100-2,300 cals a day for awhile now, and I've been about the same weight (175) for nine or ten days. I'm afraid by reducing calories I'll lose mass, which I can't afford to do. The contest is in six weeks and I probably need to be at about 161-163 to compete. I'm not really close to competition lean like the sticky says you'll be when you "need" a refeed, but I'm at this low of cals and not losing anything. Do I drop calories more or do I try the refeed? If I should drop cals, how many more can I afford to let go? If I should try the refeed, based on a regular diet now of 2,100-2,300, how many cals should I take in?

You only need to refeed if you are doing a low carb type diet or cals are really low or if you are really low bodyfat. If you are doing a competition, then I would not suggest you doing a refeed. Instead do some macro manipulation or cut cals.

I was alternating high/low/no carb days, if that matters. Did that for over a month, then just a couple days ago I started high/moderate/low--no more of the no carb bullshit.

Then you don't need a refeed. Just cut cals.

2100 cals isn't too low yet. You are fine. You can go as low as 10 cals per lb of bodyweight so long as you adjust macros so that you are getting enough protein.

Your options are either cut cals or increase cardio. Competition diet suck ass but you gotta do it if you want to step on the stage.

musclepump said:
I'm 6', 175 pounds... How low is wise? 2,100 already seems pretty damn low
What is your current BF?

Have you tried doing a few days back at maintainence and then dropping again?

When carb cycling where you calorie cycling as well or altering your fats/protein to keep you at a constant calorie level?

Not sure on my BF.

I have tried hitting maint. and dropping down, but that just seemed to hold me at bay longer. I kept my calories constant when carb cycling.

Jodi said:
2100 cals isn't too low yet. You are fine. You can go as low as 10 cals per lb of bodyweight so long as you adjust macros so that you are getting enough protein.

Your options are either cut cals or increase cardio. Competition diet suck ass but you gotta do it if you want to step on the stage.

yeah but that depends. he is saying that he is really lean and 2100 cals is really low to me! I mean, if he has a metabolism like mine 2100 is like starvation. I refeed once a week when my cals drop 500 below maintenace and then every 3-4 days as I get down into single dig it BF%, whether I am doing low carbs or not.

what would you guys classify as "low" carbs?

IML Gear Cream!
musclepump said:
Not sure on my BF.
And you are 6 weeks out?? Hmmm... Might want to get that checked...

Anyway:
I have tried hitting maint. and dropping down, but that just seemed to hold me at bay longer. I kept my calories constant when carb cycling.

Ok - there are a few things you could do:
1. you could try a 2 day re-feed and then drop cals again.
2. You could try calorie cycling instead of just carb cycling (keep fats and proteins some what constant and rotate your carbs)
3. You could just decrease calories

Personally - I am not too sure about decreasing calories further from 2100.... Maybe 2000 but that 100 cals is not going to make a huge difference if you are at such as standstill... I certainly would not decrease it for any great length of time anyway... And 6 weeks seems like a little too far out to be doing that type of thing.

Maybe try a 2-3 day re-feed at ~ maintainence calories and then 2 weeks of calorie cycling (high, med, low) and see what happens. If you are still at a stand still then you might just have to drop you calories each week and increase cardio as well for the last 4 weeks...

Cutting it a little fine... but there is not much else that you could do... :shrug:

do you know what you are going to do contest week as far as carbs (type and timing)?
May want to take that refeed and make it a small trail process to see what you react to.

I'll be perfectly honest: All I know about pre-contest is what I've read. I have no idea what's best, no idea what I respond to. This is my first show, I'm scared of what may happen, and I'm just going with the flow.

P-funk said:
yeah but that depends. he is saying that he is really lean and 2100 cals is really low to me! I mean, if he has a metabolism like mine 2100 is like starvation. I refeed once a week when my cals drop 500 below maintenace and then every 3-4 days as I get down into single dig it BF%, whether I am doing low carbs or not.
Yes, that is true, but if he has my metabolism he is fk'ed. :laugh: and he better stay away from the refeed.

It all depends on your set-point really and that is something that you can only judge. I would try carb cycling before I resorted a refeed though.

I'm new to the site. I've been getting tons of great info from everyone! I'm doing my 1st figure competition and did the Twin peak carb cycling since Dec. I've dropped from 140lbs and 20% BF to 125 and 10.4% BF. I was at a standstill about 3weeks ago and tried the high no low no and still haven't dropped anymore BF. I started doing cardio about a month ago but only 2 kickboxing classes a week and occasional sprints. I know I need to do 2 sessions of cardio a day this entire week. Obviously should've started cardio sooner. My arms are super lean but my abs and hips still aren't where they should be. Someone told me to do no carbs until wed (it's now sat and the show is next sat) Is this a good idea? What types of food should I eat? I found dry curd cottage cheese w/ only 5mg of sodium a serving but was told to cut the cottage cheese the last 2 weeks. Any help is cool, I'm doing another show may 7 so any longer term ideas would be cool too. :)

Back