• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

What is Barley?

njc

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
This might be a stupid question but what exactely is barley?

It's a grain like rye and oat.

What form is barley and rye consumed in? Are they structured like oats? And i assume they have a low GI?

Thanx.

BEER! Yumm!

njc said:
What form is barley and rye consumed in? Are they structured like oats? And i assume they have a low GI?

Thanx.
They can be eaten in a few ways -
As pearled grains (like rice) - and they have very low GI's when eaten like this (pearl barley being 20-29 and rye being 29-35ish).

As kibbled grains (like scotch oats) - Cracked barley has a GI of about 45 to 50ish. I am not sure about the rye.

As rolled grains (like 'oat fashioned' oats/rolled oats) - Rolled barley is 55 to 65 ish. Rolled rye, I would imagine, would also be the same.

I also know you can get barley bran (like oatbran) but I have never seen rye bran around....

Emma-Leigh said:
They can be eaten in a few ways -
As pearled grains (like rice) - and they have very low GI's when eaten like this (pearl barley being 20-29 and rye being 29-35ish).

As kibbled grains (like scotch oats) - Cracked barley has a GI of about 45 to 50ish. I am not sure about the rye.

As rolled grains (like 'oat fashioned' oats/rolled oats) - Rolled barley is 55 to 65 ish. Rolled rye, I would imagine, would also be the same.

I also know you can get barley bran (like oatbran) but I have never seen rye bran around....
Would u reccomend barley over oats?

i tried pearled barley for the first time the other night with some chicken. any ways to make it taste better? i was thinking of mixing it with broccoli.

would low sodium chicken broth be ok? it has like 440 mg of sodium per cup though.

njc said:
Would u reccomend barley over oats?
Pearled or hulled barley is an excellent low GI alternative to rice, rolled oats, sweet potato or other carb sources. It does have a lower GI than all these things too - if you are concerned with that.

Rolled barley is good too - although I prefer rolled oats over rolled barley. And barley bran is an alternative to oatbran or the like - but once again, I prefer oatbran.

I would recommend you add in into your diet - but you don't have to completely replace the oats you use with this.

IML Gear Cream!
I love pearled barley... i make a mean wild rice/barley pilaf in my rice cooker every few days basically a cup of wild w/ a cup of barley, toss in some mushrooms celery and onions... let it cook up and toss in your favorite spices... I like soy and garlic.

Back