• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Finasteride/propecia/proscar Effects

Mags

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey Guys, hope all you lot are well and everythings going great.

Now, I am one of the unfortunate bastards who isn't blessed with the thickest of hair. Although, it's not too bad at the present, my hair has thinned a fair bit since my late teens and I am now 23. My old man is bald and I imagine I to will have the genetic countdown timer for me to start losing my hair in the next few years as MPB tends to do. Shit. I know people who juice often take Finasteride to make the hair folicles on the vortex (front and top) of the head insensitive to DHT so hence not having their hair fall out from the high DHT converted from high tests from steroid cycles. I don't juice yet, yet I was thinking of buying some (it's called propecia and proscar, same drug just different dose tabs, propecia has 1mg tabs, proscar has 5mg tabs therefore tends to be better value as you can break the 5mg tabs into 5 pieces, 4 realistically,to get the same daily dose) to try and halt my own hair depletion. I've run searches on the sides etc, the only one really being the "In a small percentage of cases the decreased DHT level did produce symptoms of sexual disinterest/dysfunction. Although this is not a common complaint, this problem can usually be resolved quickly by discontinuing the drug". I was wondering if any if you guys had any experience with this and if you get on akay with it. Secondly, If it reduces DHT, will this effect my ability to lift heavy or gain muscular weight? I've pasted in one of the many information literature below to give you guys a brief introduction to Proscar/propecia (finasteride) if you don't already know what it is (although I imagine you guys do). Cheers.:thumb:

FINASTERIDE/PROPECIA/PROSCAR:

PROSCAR BASICS: Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of 5a-reductase, which is the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone into DHT (dihydrotestosterone). This drug can efficiently reduce the serum concentration of DHT, therefore minimizing the unwanted androgenic effects that result from its presence. The effect of this drug is quite rapid, suppressing serum DHT concentrations as much as 65 % within 24 hours after taking a single 1 mg tablet. Medically, this drug has been marketed to treat two specific conditions. The first release of finasteride in the U.S. was under the brand name of Proscar, made for use by patients with benign prostate hyperplasia (prostate enlargement). More recently (December 1997), finasteride was approved for use as an anti-balding medication. We now have the additional brand name Propecia, which is the same drug but the tablet contains only 20 % of the Proscar dosage. Scientists have long believed that DHT was the main culprit in many cases of male hair loss (along with genetic factors), so there was little doubt after the release of Proscar that finasteride would eventually be used for this purpose. It has provided what many feel is a breakthrough for men with hair-loss problems.
HOW TO USE PROSCAR: Due to the very specific nature of finasteride, it has little effect on the other hormones in the body. It has no affinity for the androgen receptor, and does not exhibit any androgenic, antiandrogenic, estrogenic or antiestrogenic properties. It should have no impact on circulating levels of cortisol, thyroid-stimulating hormone, or thyroxine, nor should it alter HDL/LDL cholesterol levels. Changes in luteinizing hormone (LH) or follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) are also not notable, and it is not shown to have an effect on the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis. In a small percentage of cases the decreased DHT level did produce symptoms of sexual disinterest/dysfunction. Although this is not a common complaint, this problem can usually be resolved quickly by discontinuing the drug. It is also interesting that finasteride has been shown to increase the circulating levels of testosterone by roughly 15 %, since a greater amount of the androgen is being left unaltered by the reductase enzyme.

Proscar shows great potential for the steroid using athlete. And as you know, the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) metabolite is responsible for many of the unwanted androgenic side effects associated with testosterone use. The high levels of DHT that form in certain tissues produce oily skin, acne, facial/body hair growth and accelerated male pattern baldness. By minimizing the production of DHT, we should greatly reduce many of these harsh side effects and make our testosterone cycles more comfortable. In many instances, Proscar can allow the athlete the use of steroid compounds (testosterone esters such as enanthate, Sustanon etc.), Halotestin and methyltestosterone with much less androgenic side activity. Of course we must not forget that all steroids activate the androgen receptor, so while this item offers help by means of reduced androgenic activity, no drug exists that can completely block androgenic side effects from appearing with steroid use.

One other thing to note is that finasteride specifically blocks the type II 5a reductase enzyme. There are actually two "isozymes" in the human body, labeled as type I and type II. Type I 5a-reductase is predominant in the sebaceous glands of most regions of skin. The Type II 5a-reductase isozyme is primarily found in prostate and hair follicles (among others). So although the type II enzyme is responsible for about two-thirds of the circulating DHT, a small amount of DHT may still be produced in the body by the type I enzyme. Finasteride may therefore have a more pronounced effect when preventing hair loss, and be somewhat of a lesser benefit when dealing with acne and body/facial hair growth (tissues where the type I enzyme is still active). Of course the drop in serum DHT will still have some beneficial effect on all related side effects. This is not a major concern in any event, as hair loss is really the primary worry amongst most male steroid users who would use this drug. A little oily skin or new hair growth on the back/shoulders can be dealt with by other means or simply endured. The user knows these problems will only be temporary. But the advancement of a balding condition can be very difficult, if not impossible to reverse. We must also remember that testosterone, Halotestin and methyltestosterone are really the only hormones that converts to stronger steroids via 5-alpha reductase. Boldenone and methandrostenolone do also I guess, but to such a low degree that one would think Proscar would be of little significance. Perhaps we will come to find that some other steroids are broken down into stronger metabolites via 5a-reductase, but needless to say for now the uses of this drug are not great in number.

PROSCAR DOSAGE: There is no research to site on exactly what dosage would be the most appropriate for a steroid user. Logic would dictate that the typically prescribed amount of Propecia, a single 1 mg tablet per day, would most likely be sufficient. In clinical trials the effect of just a single tablet is clearly dramatic. But if after a while the androgenic content of the cycle is still perceived as too high, increasing the number of tablets per day or perhaps switching to the stronger Proscar (5mg tablet) may be necessary.

I've seen a few people complain of a limp noodle with doses of Finasteride at 5mg+ per day. As for it reducing strength I've never seen reports or studies showing that.

Dutasteride is supposed to be better because it inhibits type 1 & 2 5AR enzymes. I think proscar reduces dht by 65% while dutasteride reduces it by 92%, but dutasteride has only been out a few years, while finasteride has been proven safe. Should work well against testosterone, since it converts to dht via 5AR, but supposidly its useless (or very ineffective) against dbol and anadrol.

Yeah, see I don't juice so I would only take 1mg ED. I don't think it's a high enough dose to effect my dick, but I was more concerned it effected overall strength resulting in a decrease when lifting. If that doesn't happen, then I'm happy enough with that. Any other comments/views are appreciated. Cheers guys.

1 mg/day does not hurt my sex drive or sexual function, nor does it in any way hinder my gains or effect my workouts. If you use a higher dose, it may lower your libido, though.

PirateFromHell said:
1 mg/day does not hurt my sex drive or sexual function, nor does it in any way hinder my gains or effect my workouts. If you use a higher dose, it may lower your libido, though.
just what I was looking for. Cheers guys:rocker:

Any side effects usually cease after ya stop usin it

Back