• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Peppermint Hot Chocolate for the Protein-Lover

GoalGetter

is still around...
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
This weekend i was at Williams-Sonoma, spending a gift certificate that someone gave me (I ended up getting a new bundt pan). They had a huge dispenser for people to sample their Peppermint Hot Chocolate mix.

So I sampled.

And I loved.

And I wished that I could buy this mix and make this hot chocolate at home, but for one cup of this delectable concoction, prepared the way it was prepared at the store, the calorie count was well over 250. Not good.

For days now, I've been obsessing about this peppermint hot chocolate, and then decided to do something about it.

*for those of you who flip out with regards to heating protein powder, just skip this recipe. I don't want to give you a heart attack.

Here it is:

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 scoop of Isopure Zero Carb Chocolate Protein Powder (I like this because it mixes very quickly with water, using just a spoon, or in this case a whisk)

- 8-10 ounces of water, cold

- 2 packets of splenda

- 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract (I didn't get anything fancy, just the little McCormick bottle at the supermarket in the baking/spices section)

STEPS:

1. In a saucepan, OFF the stove, pour in your cold water.

2. Add the scoop of protein and the splenda, and whisk together until it is mixed -- it will look really thin.

3. Add the peppermint extract and whisk some more.

4. Set on the stove top and heat it up, only until it is HOT, whisking constantly. Don't let it boil.

5. Just test it with your finger to make sure it is hot and remove from the heat immediately, otherwise the protein will start to form a "coating" on the bottom of the saucepan, which you will notice on the whisk. There's no need for that. Hot is good. Chunky is not, unless the chunks are marshmallows, and well... that's all up to you :)

6. Pour into your favorite mug or other drinking container.

7. Sniff it... smell the lovely peppermint... and sip away to your heart's content.

Sure it isn't the same as the Williams-Sonoma mix. but damn... it is a nice substitute for those of us who just dont' want to squander away precious calories but still want a peppermint hot chocolate treat.

Wouldn't an easier way be to simply nuke the water until hot, pour in the protein powder and peppermint, stir, and drink? Less chance of denaturing the protein powder this way, I'd think.

NickB said:
Wouldn't an easier way be to simply nuke the water until hot, pour in the protein powder and peppermint, stir, and drink? Less chance of denaturing the protein powder this way, I'd think.

It is still protein. you "denature" protein when you cook eggs or roast chicken. It doesn't mean that you will be drinking a whole heap of 0-value protein. Simply means its state has changed. Perhaps biological values like emma explained in another thread (search for it i'm in a hurry to go to work) such as cancer fighting, or anti aging properties or something like that are reduced or removed, but the protein is still protein.

That being said, it's one drink. your body isn't going to freak out over one serving of protein powder which has been heated up. some people are really watchful of never "denaturing" their protein powder, others not so much. I really don't care, personally and i cook with it, add it to hot oatmeal, put it in baking recipes, etc. it's not going to spontaneously combust in your gut.

If it's really a concern for you, just don't have it as a post-workout thing.

also, when you pour protein powder into hot water it clumps up or turns into little gelatinous chunks depending on what kind of protein you use. it's not like regular cocoa powder or something like that which would just dissolve smoothly.

If you want to try it go right ahead, but i already did and that was what happened to me, hence the boiling the water with the protein already in it.

Last edited:
GoalGetter said:
*for those of you who flip out with regards to heating protein powder, just skip this recipe. I don't want to give you a heart attack.

:rofl:

GG - slightly off the point.....but how do you like the Isopure plain (mixed in water) better than most?

cool recipe by the way - thanks! :D

nikegurl said:
:rofl:

GG - slightly off the point.....but how do you like the Isopure plain (mixed in water) better than most?

cool recipe by the way - thanks! :D

You know? I like the flavor (more than the ATW chocolate whey blend or milk isolate -- richer chocolate flavor), BUT I don't like it much at all for its consistency. It is too thin unless you want to mix it with milk or yogurt (whcih I don't). Thankfully BECAUSE it is thin, i can use it in other things, like when i want to bake a chocolate protein something or other (pancakes, most recently). I just don't use it PWO.

As far as quality proteins go, I guess it serves its purpose.

And :) You're welcome! Glad you like the recipe!

this sounds yummy! :lick:

i have the vanilla isopure. do you know of a modification to add some chocolate...without buying a tub of chocolate isopure?

GoalGetter said:
It is still protein. you "denature" protein when you cook eggs or roast chicken. It doesn't mean that you will be drinking a whole heap of 0-value protein. Simply means its state has changed. Perhaps biological values like emma explained in another thread (search for it i'm in a hurry to go to work) such as cancer fighting, or anti aging properties or something like that are reduced or removed, but the protein is still protein.

That being said, it's one drink. your body isn't going to freak out over one serving of protein powder which has been heated up. some people are really watchful of never "denaturing" their protein powder, others not so much. I really don't care, personally and i cook with it, add it to hot oatmeal, put it in baking recipes, etc. it's not going to spontaneously combust in your gut.

If it's really a concern for you, just don't have it as a post-workout thing.

also, when you pour protein powder into hot water it clumps up or turns into little gelatinous chunks depending on what kind of protein you use. it's not like regular cocoa powder or something like that which would just dissolve smoothly.

If you want to try it go right ahead, but i already did and that was what happened to me, hence the boiling the water with the protein already in it.

:thumbup: good info for me. i've been wondering why some people (not here) freaked when i said i put protein powder in my oatmeal...

lioness said:
this sounds yummy! :lick:

i have the vanilla isopure. do you know of a modification to add some chocolate...without buying a tub of chocolate isopure?

Lioness...

two inexpensive options immediately come to mind:

1) some sugar free fat free chocolate pudding mix (I'd say about 1/4 of the small packet might do the trick

or

2) get yourself a small canister of dutch-processed cocoa powder. Cheapest is like Hersheys (their Special Dark version is better than their regular version), and others that are even better if you have a discerning palate include Droste, Ghirardelli, Sharfenberger (sp?), Schokinag. Honestly, the hershey's one works just fine for me.

Just make sure of course that you get plain ol' COCOA POWDER and not HOT COCOA MIX by mistake!

lioness said:
:thumbup: good info for me. i've been wondering why some people (not here) freaked when i said i put protein powder in my oatmeal...

It's the same people who freak out because a banana has "too much sugar". :rolleyes:

GoalGetter said:
Lioness...

two inexpensive options immediately come to mind:

1) some sugar free fat free chocolate pudding mix (I'd say about 1/4 of the small packet might do the trick

or

2) get yourself a small canister of dutch-processed cocoa powder. Cheapest is like Hersheys (their Special Dark version is better than their regular version), and others that are even better if you have a discerning palate include Droste, Ghirardelli, Sharfenberger (sp?), Schokinag. Honestly, the hershey's one works just fine for me.

Just make sure of course that you get plain ol' COCOA POWDER and not HOT COCOA MIX by mistake!

thanks! i'll try this tomorrow morning! :lick:

IML Gear Cream!
lioness said:
thanks! i'll try this tomorrow morning! :lick:

if you use the cocoa powder you only need like a fraction of the serving size listed on the canister. you CAN go ahead and use the whole serving but it will be wayyyy too strong/rich unless you really like it that way!

my mom used to make this dessert a few times every winter. me n my brothers were the out playing softball, climbing trees type kids so i don't think it destroyed our health for those of you who tend to freak out... she made a chocolate cake n put warm pieces in a bowl with peppermint patties on top and then poured warm chocolate pudding over it.

Little Wing said:
my mom used to make this dessert a few times every winter. me n my brothers were the out playing softball, climbing trees type kids so i don't think it destroyed our health for those of you who tend to freak out... she made a chocolate cake n put warm pieces in a bowl with peppermint patties on top and then poured warm chocolate pudding over it.

oh man. that sounds DELICIOUS.

Little Wing said:

OMG! YUMMY

To your mom: :bow:

it is. i've never made it but i told my kids about it n they want it on cheat day.

Little Wing said:
it is. i've never made it but i told my kids about it n they want it on cheat day.

your kids have a cheat day?! what do they eat on a regular non-cheat day?

lol on my cheat days they like to help plan treats. they are allowed junk only a couple times a month so basically they eat pretty much the same things i do except Ty gets regular cheeses, milk and some higer fat foods like peanut butter and i leave the yolks in his eggs. he'd be too skinny without the extra calories.

IML Gear Cream!
lioness said:

I do that all the time. It saves time.

Also do you people know that ATW does have the Chocolate Mint protein. It's great. I loved it.

Chocolate mint....YUM!!!

Is ATW mostly sold online?

If so...HOW GOOD IS IT???

Would it keep me from going to McDonalds for the Shamrock Shake this month???:nanner:

shamrock shake turned down???? Are you out of your mind?! Never ever turn down a shamrock shake!

ATW is sold online and chocolate mint is worth the try.

juggernaut said:
shamrock shake turned down???? Are you out of your mind?! Never ever turn down a shamrock shake!

ATW is sold online and chocolate mint is worth the try.

:finger: :finger: :finger:

NOOOOO! You know what I'm talking about??? You're supposed to talk me out of it! :finger: Regular shakes I can walk away from...Muscle Milk satisfies me enough.

....but every March...here comes that stupid Shamrock Shake!!!:lick:

I think I'll order the Chocolate Mint ATW right now! I'm getting hungry.

the pressure's way too hard on me to say no to a shamrock. Come onnnnnnn....play a Mary J. Blige song and drink it...you'll feel really guilty afterwards.

juggernaut said:
the pressure's way too hard on me to say no to a shamrock. Come onnnnnnn....play a Mary J. Blige song and drink it...you'll feel really guilty afterwards.

you are satan!. :sob:

uncleo.jpg

juggernaut said:

Look what I found for you...

Copycat Shamrock Shake
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1-1/4 cups milk, 2% lowfat
1/4 tsp. mint extract
8 drops green food coloring

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth. Stop blender to stir with a spoon if necessary to help blend ice cream. Pour into 12-ounce cups and serve each with a straw.
Uh...did they really need to put these directions in writing??

Can you make it healthy? Vanilla Muscle Milk has a milk shake flavor...any ideas Chef Jugger?

Back