• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Vlar's search for the V

Vlar

the discipline of steel
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Time to make a journal and face the music so to speak. I'm 32, 6'2" at a steady 215# or so. I've been taking lifting serously (at least by my standards) for the last 3 or so months. In other words havn't missed one of my set 3x a week sessions yet.

Late last month I started this program..

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031

Not as specified but just the 6 exercise rotations at straight 3x8 sets. The general concept is to take 4 large compound movements, one for legs such as squats, back such as pullups, pecs such as bench press, and shoulders such as military press, and 2 other isolating exercies of your choice. You complete the 4 compounds first and vary the order of them each session, you also can't complete the same exercise for more that two sessions in a row. For instance if you love squats, you can only do them two sessions in a row then you must switch to something else, like deadlifts or front squats, for at least one session.

What this has done for me is kept my workouts to usually an hour at the most, and forced me to always change things up.

I've definitly seen an improvement in overall growth. The full body sessions comosed of primarly large compound lifts is pretty much starting to thicken me lol. I say start because its still just beginning but there isn't a muscle on my body that hasn't improved over the past month.. its awesome and looking forward to the future! Anyways.. My plan was and still is to stick with how I'm doing the exercises now and just increase weight until April. At that time I'm going to follow the program linked above as they specify and try out the HST thing. Not to say I'm not open to suggestions, this is just what is on the table for now.

My diet has been realativly good. I'm not dieting thats for sure, but I'm not eating bad either. Still weighing in at 215ish but my bodyfat is going down for sure...the gut is still very much there. Sometime in January I stopped doing cardio...probally because school started and time became a factor.

Looking on... Cardio..cardio..cardio.. Before I hit April I want to have a very low BF. I just got my HR monitor working again so I plan on doing alot of HR training/jogging this month. As far as strength training, just keep on trucking as before but I do want to hit a few new goals... 150# on the Bench, 170# on the squats.

Saturday

Cardio Session
15 min on treadmill 4.0 (fast walk for 12 of em) 8.5 run for the last 3

Strength Session
BB Bench Press - 8@50#; 3x8@120#
DB Shoulder Press - 6@55#;8@50#;7@50#
Deadlifts - 6@80#;6@90#;3@140#;3x6@160#

Circuit:
Cable Rows - 3x8@155#
Pull Downs (close, pro) - 3x8@155#
Tricep Push Downs - 3x8@65#

Good workout - Too much on the shoulder press, had to scale down the weight. I get to excited on adding more weight. Even though I might have increased wieghts I need to remind myself to stick with what you got until you are completly positive you should increase. Not the.. increase just to see if you can do it. KNOW before you do it. (I feel its a better workout if you plan what you do, then do what you plan)

Hello my Friend, keep up the good work!!! Love your Avi and Siggie too!!!

Thanks Angel!

Tuesday

Cardio Session
12 min on treadmill 5.5 speed

Strength Session
Cable Rows - 8@110#;3x8@155#
DB Bench (decline) - 2x8@65#;8@70#
Squats (back) - 8@70#;2x8@150#;6@150# +bar
Seated Calf Raises - 3x8@100#
DB Shoulder Press (seated) - 3x8@50#
Arm Curls (preacher) - 2x8@50#;6@50# +ezbar
DB Shoulder Raise (lateral) - 3x8@25#

Workout felt solid. Decline bench felt easy today; squats were excellent even increasted 10# .. although felt a little shakey at the end of the third set so cut it at 6 reps. Out of everything, I would say the lateral raises at the end hurt the most.

Thursday

Cardio Session
12 min on treadmill started out at 5.0 but increase .5 every two minutes.

Strength Session
DB Shoulder Press (seated) - 3x8@55#
Lat Pull Down - 3x8@155#
BB Bench Press (inclined) - 3x8@90# +bar
Seated Calf Raises - 3x12@115#
DB Hammer Curls - 3x8@45#
DB Side Raises - 3x8@25#
Squats (front) - 3x8@80# +bar

Diet
Meal 1 - 1cup Oats, 1scp whey/milk, multivit
Meal 2 - 2tlb nattyPB
Meal 3 - (el pollo loco) 1/2 BRC (beans,rice and cheese burrito), fish oil
Meal 4 - 1/2 BRC, Side of Steamed Veggies
Meal 5 - 1cup Oats, 1scp whey/water
postworkout - 3scp whey/16oz milk w/3slices of peach
Meal 6 - 5oz Salmon on bed of lettuce/shrooms.
per FitDay .. 71Fat(27%)-232Carb(33%)-239Protien(40%) | 2466Cal

Felt like a good workout. Upped front squats by 10 pounds, nailed shoulder press at 55# with perfect form, course it was the first exercise :) .. Inclined press felt difficult today. Going to start posting diet to see if it helps keep me on the straight and also for advise.

Sunday

Strength Session
DB Shoulder press (standing): 7@45#;4x8@40#
Push Ups: 3x25
DB Upright Row: 3x8@40#
DB Squat: 8@40#
DB Straight Legged Deadlift: 3x8@40#
Concentration Curls: 3x8@40#
DB Bent Over Row: 3x15@40#

Attack of the 40# DB! .. busy weekend didn't go to the gym, last minute pulled out DBs from the closet. Easy workout but better than none.

Excellent revised w/o my Friend, keep it up!!!

planning ahead a bit, this will be my goals for the next three workouts (tonight, Saturday, and Monday)

Workout One
DB Bench Press - 3x5@75#
Upright Rows - 3x5@ ? +bar
Front Squats - 3x5@90# +bar
DB Seated Shoulder Press - 3x5@55#
Deadlifts - 3x5@160# +bar
Barbell Curl - 3x5@60# +EZbar
(60 secs between sets)

Workout Two
Pullups (wide, sup) - 3x8@70#
Back Squats - 3x8@140# +bar
BB Standing Shoulder Press - 3x8@50# +bar
Power Cleans - 3x8@ ? +bar
BB Inclined Press - 3x8@100# +bar
Side Raises - 3x8@25#
(90 sec between sets)

Workout Three
Front Squats - 2x15@60# +bar
BB Seated Should Press - 2x15@40# +bar
Goodmornings - 2x15@ ? +bar
BB Bench Press - 2x15@100# +bar
Cable Rows - 2x15@130#
Tricep Pushdowns - 2x15@60#
(120 sec between sets)

First time planning so much in advance (lol, hardly as much in advance as most journles here tho)... workout 2 is very similar to my previous workouts the past few months. We'll off to see how it goes!

So you are essentially working every group (I know it's 4 compound, 2 isolation) with one 3 set exercise 3 days a week with varying rest periods between each exercise and chasing it with some cardio? Just making sure I'm getting it right. I read something about this kind of routine earlier today and it sounds interesting - I think I would feel better stimulating a muscle group more than one day a week. Is it a more effective muscle builder as opposed to working 1-2 groups (back/bis) heavily once a week?

Based on your response I might adopt something similar since we seem to have similar squat and bench goals (170/150) and are both looking to build muscle while cutting fat. Great post!

Just got back from the first workout. Felt great! The lower reps and higher weights was very encouraging and keeping the pace kept the whole experiance moving along quickly. I think I'm going to enjoy changing the pace of the workout on each session.

Based on your response I might adopt something similar since we seem to have similar squat and bench goals (170/150) and are both looking to build muscle while cutting fat. Great post!

Thanks! .. yea the routine appealed to me mainly because I wanted something structured but yet simple enough for me to manipulate. Not that I can't read into other methods and appreciate them, just some still make my head hurt. I'm sure in time I'll appreacite them more, for now, I just want to lift.

When I first started a few months back I would hit the gym and do a cardio session 30-50min right after work.. come back a few hours later and do my lifting... since night school started I dropped the cardio session and just do 10-15 min of cardio pre-workout for a warmup kinda thing. Probally could go both ways .. and would make more sense to chase with cardio or even leave it for the off days as you interpreted it. The full body workout is great, I'm loving it. Its taxing, but makes you feel solid all over. Is it better than split routines throughout the week? Not sure,.. but its different and it working for me right now. Just today I'm endevouring on following that linked program as its written, prior I was just getting used to all the exercises and building some starter strength. Check in a few weeks down the line and we'll see how the rep and set changes feel! Probally after the 8 weeks I'll switch to a different type of program.

Most everyone says one should start out with a fullbody program to build a strong foundation of strength then start more advanced methods...working for me so far...

IML Gear Cream!
Great, thanks for the response! I'll be following your progress on here, and probably start my own journal as soon as I figure out what routine to settle on. Keep it up man.

Like the plan of attack Brother Vlar!!! looking forward to see your w/o's!!!

Thanks Archie, your avatars rock!

Anteing up a progress pic...
me021806.jpg

Workout 2 went as planned. I ended up doing 70# +bar on the cleans. This was my first try at them and didn't want to do to much. What I didn't expect at all was how much they made my forearms burn. I started to focus on form on the latter sets and kept the bar close to the body as much as I could. Good stuff, I know I need to work on explosivness.. I still clean it similiar to a sloth.

I cut my Incline Bench short on the 3rd set to only 4 reps instead of 8.. was plum worn out. But finished up with the side raises. Tough workout for me.. come Monday is going to be sets of 15 .. I see an endurance test coming up heh.

Solid size my Friend, stick with it and you'll be Fantastic BRother Vlar!!!

I love it when a plan comes together! Workout 3 felt the strangest out of them all, low weight/high reps/less sets. I'm still getting a feel for my proper weight load per reps/sets, i'm sure after I plan more accordinly the workouts will feel even more solid.

This was the first time a tried out good mornings, certainly not anything I thought they would be. I figured they would kill your lowerback but maybe its because I've been doing alot of squats/deads lately that the lowerback was the least of my concern, the hams got pretty tight tho. Maybe I need more weight. I couldn't finish my seated BB overhead presses or my bench presses even though I tried to be conservative on my weight. I won't underestimate high reps, after about 12 reps my power goes down quickly!

Ok, now week 1 is over, week 2 is slightly different. Basically its termed as antagonist training where you group the six exercises into sets of 2, with an antagonistic groupins e.g., quads/hams, chest/back etc.. you do each group in a circuit like fashion. One set of benches, then one set of upright rows, repeat for all your sets then move on to the next grouping.

This sounds pretty cool and I imagine it will feel like a whole different kind of pump. I foresee problems though in selecting the right exercises and gambling on whether you leave one equipment to do another that when going back for the second or third set one of the equipment will be usurped. So I think I need to be creative/crafty on how to group so 1) don't need to move to far or 2) perform on the same gym equipment.

Not sure if I'm going to take 1 or 2 days off before getting into the second week, but this is what I have planned for now... probally going to be altered..

Week 2

got some help form P-Funk on restructuring this weeks workout, has changed, looks like this now:

Workout One
A1 (Chest/Push) DB Bench Press - 3x5@80#
A2 (back/Pull) DB Lying Bench Rows - 3x5@55#
B1 (Quads/Push) Back Squats - 3x5@150# +bar
B2 (Hams/Pull) SLDL - 3x5@ ? +bar
C1 (Triceps/Push) Pushdowns - 3x5@90#
C2 (biceps/Pull) Standing Curls - 3x5@65# +EZbar

(60 secs between sets)

Workout Two
A1 (Chest/Push) Dips 3x8@ ? assisted
A2 (Back/Pull) Pullups (wide, sup) - 3x8@70# Assisted
B1 (Quads/Push) Lunges 3x8@ ?
B2 (Hams/Pull) Hyperextension 3x8@ ?
C1 (Deltoids/Push) BB Standing Shoulder Press 3x8@55# +bar
C2 (UpperBack/Pull) Cable Front Pulldown 3x8@155#

(90 secs between sets)

Workout Three
A1 (Quads/Push) Front Squats - 2x15@70# +bar
A2 (Hams/Pull) Good Mornings - 2x15@30# +bar
B1 (Chest/Push) BB Bench Press - 2x15@100# +bar
B1 (Back/Pull) Bent Over Rows - 2x15@ ? +bar
C2 (Triceps/Push) BB Tricep Extensions - 2x15@35#
C2 (Biceps/Pull) BB Preacher Curls - 2x15@50# +EZbar

(120 secs between sets)

Last edited:
Very interesting plan of attack Brother Vlar!!! I really like that!!! Best Wishes for you my Friend!!!

hmmm... not much of a pump.... but plenty of pain! :rocker:

I expected doing, bisets (is that correct termonology?) of the groupings to give me more of an overall pump.. but in practice and I guess the more I think about it.. they are anti-pump. :hmmm:

anyways, Week 2, workout 1 complete...

15 min moderate run for a warmup

A1 (Chest/Push) DB Bench Press - 3x5@80#
A2 (back/Pull) One-Arm Bench Rows - 3x5@80#
B1 (Quads/Push) Back Squats - 3x5@150# +bar
B2 (Hams/Pull) SLDL - 3x5@50# +bar
C1 (Triceps/Push) Pushdowns - 5@105#;2x5@95#
C2 (biceps/Pull) Standing Curls - 3x5@65# +EZbar

I know its only 5 rep sets, but for each exercise I lifted more than I ever have before, all with good form. Its a great confidence booster... which I'll savor for the latter workouts )

In retrospect weight load wise.. DB Bench was right on the money, maybe a little more next time on One-Arms Bench Rows, Back Squats felt solid, SLDL felt light, will add a little more next time but want to take it slow and easy with them. Pushdowns felt solid, and curls actually felt light, surprised, need to add more load when doing these 5 rep sets.

Solid workout. To avoid equipment congestion I took some sleep in early in the evening then woke up around 1am, downed some whey and oatmeal and hit the gym at 2am .. I was the only one there lol. Which made for a very pleasant workout, felt like at home where its only your music and your weights and no other distractions. Was nice.

Week 2, Workout Two
A1 (Chest/Push) Dips 3x8
A2 (Back/Pull) Pullups (wide, sup) - 3x8@70# Assisted
B1 (Quads/Push) Lunges 3x8@30#
B2 (Hams/Pull) Hyperextension 8;8@25#;8
C1 (Deltoids/Push) BB Standing Shoulder Press 3x8@55# +bar
C2 (UpperBack/Pull) Cable Front Pulldown 3x8@155#

I started out the dips with 30# assisted.. I think the last time I did dips was at 60# assisted. Was pleasantly surprised to find out 30# assisted got in the way more than helping and then tried them with straight bodyweight.. and that felt perfect. I remember a few months back wondering if and when I'd be able to do that.

Lookin solid in hee Brother Vlar, I believe I'm seeing some clear progression too, keep it up!!!

Freaking exhausted.

Workout Three
B1 (Chest/Push) BB Bench Press - 2x15@100# +bar
B1 (Back/Pull) Bent Over Rows - 2x15@70# +bar
A1 (Quads/Push) Front Squats - 15@70#;10@70# +bar
A2 (Hams/Pull) Good Mornings - 15@70#;15@65#
C2 (Triceps/Push) DB Tricep Extensions - 2x15@20#
C2 (Biceps/Pull) DB Hammer Curls - 15@40#;4@35#

Super taxing workout, almost died on the front squats and couldn't finish my hammer curls at the tail end. I'm starting to really appreciate and despise, love and hate, this workout program. 2 weeks down, 6 more to go then I get break :)

IML Gear Cream!
yo man...ur making some good weight there...i like ur werkouts...same thing im starting to do now...but lookin good and keep up the good werk....

adjusted my workouts for the 3rd week.. basically used the same workout as week 1 with minor adjustments, swapped workout 1 and 2 and increased weights on exercises. The kicker though is throwing in another set.

Workout One
Pullups (wide, sup) - 4x5@60#
Back Squats - 4x5@160# +bar
BB Standing Shoulder Press - 4x5@60# +bar
Power Cleans - 4x5@90# +bar
BB Inclined Press - 4x5@120# +bar
Side Raises - 4x5@30#
(60 sec between sets)

Workout Two
DB Bench Press - 4x8@80#
Bent Over Rows - 4x8@90# +bar
Front Squats - 4x8@90# +bar
DB Seated Shoulder Press - 4x8@55#
Deadlifts - 4x8@160# +bar
Barbell Curl - 4x8@60# +EZbar
(90 secs between sets)

Workout Three
Front Squats - 3x15@70# +bar
BB Seated Should Press - 3x15@45# +bar
Goodmornings - 3x15@30# +bar
BB Bench Press - 3x15@110# +bar
Cable Rows - 3x15@140#
Tricep Pushdowns - 3x15@70#
(120 sec between sets)

off to practice whats been preached...

Workout One
Pullups (wide, sup) - 4x5@60#
Back Squats - 4x5@160# +bar
BB Standing Shoulder Press - 4x5@70# +bar
Power Cleans - 4x5@90# +bar
BB Bench Press - 4x5@130# +bar
Side Raises - 2x5@30#; 2x5@27.5# <-- no didn't wuss, someone took my 30#'s :cry:
(60 sec between sets)

Oh yea.. better than expected ) the squats felt very solid. For the first time since I first started squats my left knee started to feel a little pressure, I don't think its anything to be bothered with, but consider it noted. Added more to the shoulder press than planned. Power Cleans! .. 2nd try at em, at 90# I noticed alot more requirement from calves, shoulders, back etc... they were really taxing but very gratifying. BB bench, if I would of had a spotter I would of done more.

The added set didn't seem to bother. :)

Week 3 - Workout Two
DB Bench Press - 8@80#;6@80#;8@70#;8@70#
DB Standing Should Press - 2x8@45#;8@40#;8@35#
Bent Over Rows - 4x8@90# +bar
Front Squats - 4x8@90# +bar
Deadlifts - 4x8@160# +bar
Barbell Curl - 2x8@60# +EZbar
(90 secs between sets)

This was my most strenuous to recent history, totally exhausted, feel like puking. Overshot my goal for the DB press but still pleased with the attempt. What killed me was the bent overs, front squats (incidentally new pb, graduated to the big plates :clapping: ) and the deadlifts all in a row... By my last set of DL I don't know what was keeping me going. After that I noticed the time and felt rushed and tired for the curls and only did two sets :( ..but the way I look at it, better than spewing :lick:

Week 3, Workout Three
BB Bench Press - 15@110#;10@110#;8@110# +bar
DB Seated Should Press - 2x15@40#;10@40#
Cable Rows - 3x15@140#
Front Squats - 15@70#;12@70#;10@70# +bar
Goodmornings - 3x15@bar
Tricep Pushdowns - 2x15@70#;10@70#
(120 sec between sets)

crazy busy at gym.

Week 4

Here is the tentative program for Week 4. This is the same push/pull lifting choices that was chosen for Week 2, the weight has increased and an extra set has been added. Once again, these are preformed in alternating sets of 2.

Workout One
A1 (Chest/Push) DB Bench Press - 4x5@85#
A2 (back/Pull) One Arm Bench Rows - 4x5@85#
B1 (Quads/Push) Back Squats - 4x5@170# +bar
B2 (Hams/Pull) SLDL - 4x5@60# +bar
C1 (Triceps/Push) Pushdowns - 4x5@100#
C2 (biceps/Pull) Standing Curls - 4x5@70# +EZbar

(60 secs between sets)

Workout Two
A1 (Chest/Push) Dips 4x8@BW assisted
A2 (Back/Pull) Pullups (wide, sup) - 4x8@60# Assisted
B1 (Quads/Push) DB Lunges 4x8@35#
B2 (Hams/Pull) Hyperextension 4x8@25#
C1 (Deltoids/Push) BB Standing Shoulder Press 4x8@70# +bar
C2 (UpperBack/Pull) Cable Front Pulldown 4x8@160#

(90 secs between sets)

Workout Three
A1 (Quads/Push) Front Squats - 3x15@70# +bar
A2 (Hams/Pull) Good Mornings - 3x15@15# +bar
B1 (Chest/Push) BB Bench Press - 3x15@110# +bar
B1 (Back/Pull) Bent Over Rows - 3x15@90# +bar
C2 (Triceps/Push) DB Tricep Extensions - 3x15@40#
C2 (Biceps/Pull) DB Hammer Curls - 3x15@40#

Week 4, Workout One
A1 (Triceps/Push) Pushdowns - 4x5@100#
A2 (biceps/Pull) Standing Curls - 4x5@70# +EZbar
B1 (Quads/Push) Back Squats - 4x5@170# +bar
B2 (Hams/Pull) SLDL - 4x5@70# +bar
C1 (Chest/Push) DB Bench Press - 4x5@80#
C2 (back/Pull) One Arm Bench Rows - 4x5@85#
(60 secs between sets)

Workout went well, hit all the new weight goals with some minor adjustments.. SLDL was at 70# instead of 60# (these still seem a bit light, but as always a slow and steady increase. The DB Bench Press I dropped to 80# instead of 85#... I think I can push 85#, but stabilizing it might be problem so just playing it safe, anyways its still an extra set from last time. Someday when the gym isn't so crowded I'll try to stabilize and push 85# and see how it goes. All in all everything felt solid. Rock on :rocker:

Brother Vlar, lookin good in here my Friend!!!

'been slacking..

Wednesday

Cardio Session
7mile run

Thursday
Cardio Session
3mile run

Strength Session
Squats (back) - 10@90#;5@170#;5@180#;3@180# +bar
DB Bench - 4x5@80#
One Arm Rows - 4x5@85#

Been feeling a little under the weather. I've also had a realization that I need cardio bad..so while I'm focused I want to start to go heavily on the cardio on a daily basis. I realize my strength sessions may take a hit, but its a personal thing on getting the BF down..I'm not going to lighten up on the weights.

Quick update..

Saturday
A1: Dips: 4x8@bw
A2: Pullups (wide, sup): 4x8@60# assisted
B1: Lunges: 2x8@45#
B2: Goodmornings: 2x8@45#
... at this point I pinched a nerve or pulled a muscle that ran alongside my neck and it shut me down. Felt like it cramped up. I just quietly put away the equipment and left the gym, but it took more than a few hours to move the shoulder/neck without feeling it fiercly. Strange out of nowhere kind of thing, anyways after about 24 hours it feels ok, and today almost non-existent so tommorrow I'll go back it and see how it goes. Probally nothing. I've lost a good week out of my intended program from laziness and that bump, need to get back on the wagon!

Monday Cardio
Jogged around a track for about 3 miles.

Back