• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Sprints for Bodybuilders?

mick01

Phyical Cultural-ist
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Anyone done them? I mean really put forth an effort as part of their regular training. Not just "I did sprints for 4 weeks to help me get lean."

Even more relevant: Has anyone done them pre-contest?

I currently train Chest/Back once every 16 days and the same for Shoulders/Arms. I train legs once every 8 days alternating between Squats one workout and Leg Press the next. I???m thinking of substituting sprints in place of my Leg Press workout.

Any input???????

Thanks
Mick

I have done sprints pre-contest myself and with clients. I feel it definitely works well in that respect, especially for bringing out definition in the rectus femoris, sartorius, and the calves.

I have never used it during "size" training, although it is an interesting concept. I am not sure if sprinting could lead to hypertrophy directly, but perhaps can improve neuromuscular efficiency and the ability for your high threshold muscle fibers to "fire." This would make future leg workout more effective.

I would not use sprinting at every other workout, but maybe every 3rd workout.

Try it, track your progress closely, and see if it works for you.

How fast and how long of a run would be considered sprinting? i would like to try and incorporate that into my cardio workout...

I usually do a series of 100 yard dashes, followed by active rests, ie, walking. Sometimes I would vary it and do 50 yard dashes with less rest in between.

I am almost embarrassed to ask this- but is that like .10 mi on a treadmill? Forgive my stupidity:laugh:

I don???t think a treadmill would be you best option. I wouldn???t think it would be fast enough.

If it is fast enough and your pushing it hard and you must slow down the treadmill might not be able to decrease its speed in time for you to keep from falling on you face. :eek: :laugh:

Sprinting outside is far more beneficial as we are meant to move ourselves foward on solid ground, not have the ground moving under us. Foward locomotion will have a better effect on neuromuscular efficiency and the development of various muscles.

I hate to run outside-contrary to most people. But I figure if the treadmill makes me run- then it is def better than not running at all-ground moving fwd or backwards:)

Originally posted by gopro
...I have never used it during "size" training, although it is an interesting concept. I am not sure if sprinting could lead to hypertrophy directly, but perhaps can improve neuromuscular efficiency and the ability for your high threshold muscle fibers to "fire." This would make future leg workout more effective.

I'd have to say it worked for me, definitely lead to hypertrophy. I always get asked what I do that my legs are so muscular. All I do is inline speed skate (like short track ice) and some plyometric exercises, no weight training and my legs are big. I do believe that genetically I've always had some decent size legs but I think the speed skating developed them even more cause I never really got into consistently weight training my legs for any long period of time. Just wait til I get ahold of some old before pictures, then I'll be able to show people the difference speed skating (sprinting) made on my legs. :D

Sprinting works in the same metabolic zone as hypertrophy training, and usually involves similar tensions. It can most definitely cause growth.

I don't know if its going to do a whole lot for neural effects though.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Snake_Eyes
Sprinting works in the same metabolic zone as hypertrophy training, and usually involves similar tensions. It can most definitely cause growth.

I don't know if its going to do a whole lot for neural effects though.

:D :yes: :D I've made an interesting observation that holds true probably about 75% of the time. I have noticed that the good sprinters (the fast ones) in indoor speed skating have significantly bigger legs then the other skaters. And the skaters with the stick legs seem to be better at the longer distances. This seems to hold true much of the time. Now the ones with the skinny legs who are still really fast seem to have superior technique that gives them an edge. I'm one of the ones with the powerful sprinting legs but I lack the muscle endurance and my technique needs to be improved a lot.

i hear its what you make your lungs do determines how long you cna run not how strong your legs and
its how you breath

Treadmill is good for sprinting unless you are on an actual track where go can go all out in a 220 for example. a treadnill that can go over 10mph is also benificial. they now have treads that go to 22mph!. they also have a skating treadmill that i wish i could work on. the problem is lean legs from to much runningm ugg. oh well you have to make your choice i suppose.

It all has to do with your v02 max, lence armstrong for instance has an increadible v02 max. So basicially doing sprints trains your body to increase your v02 max and use it more effectivelly.

Sprinting WILL NOT lead to similar hypertrophy gains as progressive weight training! Nobody, except for genetic superiors, will build bodybuilder type thighs with a program of sprinting, rather than squats, leg presses, etc. Sprinting can cause some growth because it involves the use of fast twitch muscle fibers, but is not progressive enough or high enough in tension to cause as much growth as traditional weight training.

If it did, most people would be sprinting for legs, rather than squatting.

So are you saying I have genetically superior legs? :D

Originally posted by KryptoAllez
So are you saying I have genetically superior legs? :D

Yup. If inline speed skating has caused signicant hypertrophy in your legs, than absolutely! GOD only knows what would happen if you did a consistent weight training program for your thighs !!!!

I've been sprinting for over 20 years.
I always did it for speed....now I do it
when I'm bored with running around the
neighborhood or just wanta push the
old bones a bit. 40 yard sprints with a
20 yard walk.
Anyways at least in my case no way will
sprinting build muscle like weight training.
Although in your case you will still be squatting
and sprints will definitely enhance your
progress......just my 2 cents.
I would try that program.....wait a minute,
I'm already doing pretty much the same
thing.

Originally posted by gopro

Yup. If inline speed skating has caused signicant hypertrophy in your legs, than absolutely! GOD only knows what would happen if you did a consistent weight training program for your thighs !!!!

:eek: Yeah, they would probably blow up! I don't need that! I've been working my upper body like crazy for the past two years just trying to catch it up with my lower body! I just wish my delts and triceps would grow as easily as my legs seem to! Guess I can't have everything. :rolleyes:

Nice wheels and tat Krypto !

IML Gear Cream!
I wasn't implying that it would build as much muscle as weights, only that it would *build* muscle, period.

Originally posted by Snake_Eyes
I wasn't implying that it would build as much muscle as weights, only that it would *build* muscle, period.

Cool...just checking...as you know, some people have some very silly ideas about training and how it works. :)

Originally posted by LAM
Nice wheels and tat Krypto !

Thanks! That pic is 6 months old and I know I've leaned out some more since then so they should be more defined now. I did have some quad separation even back then but darned if I can ever get it to ever show up on the photos! :mad:

My cousin who is really swole said that sprints help you to get ripped, fast sprints...

Originally posted by THE_GAME
My cousin who is really swole said that sprints help you to get ripped, fast sprints...

They are a great alternative to basic cardio workouts for sure!

Back