• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

DD's Push / Pull / Legs: Intensity, Tension, & Eccentric

Duncans Donuts

Stay puffed, baby.
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So it's time to start a new journal.

Background:

I am currently working at 24 Hour Fitness with NASM CPT (A- quality certification), ISSA CFT (C quality), Apex Certification (bullshit quality), and working on my ACSM. I am enrolled in a bachelors degree program for physiology. For those of you who don't know, with 4 certifications at 24 Hour Fitness we make 19 dollars an hour, thus my reason for having so many of them.

This is a stepping stone for me to work independently in 6 months to a year.

I have decided there are four primary factors responsible for achieving optimal results in a workout. Not understanding and applying these four primary factors are the reason I see thousands of people a week who literally waste their time, simply cannot and will never make progress.

1. Understanding a need for variation. For any paticular exercise, there are several dozen ways to vary said exercise to instigate a unique response in the body to the exercise. Grip variation, rest intervals, tension time, rest pauses, super sets, range of motion, cadence, number of reps and sets, order of exercises, frequency of workouts, altering body leverage points (and so on) give virtually limitless opportunities to keep the body in a state of heterostasis. Comprehensive adaptation is the enemy of hypertrophy and the best friend of strength "powerlifters". The body, as a brilliantly designed machine of efficiency, has a programmed understanding that coordinating motor neurons is a much more resource friendly means of adaptation. I believe that hypertrophy adaptations are NOT a result of "eat to grow" dieting (although positive nitrogen balance helps, but I feel the timing of protein and glucose supplementation is far more important than consuming 300 grams of protein a day) but are instead a result of an imposition on the body that is so extraneous that the system of adaptation, as a response to a threat, recognizes the need as a survival mechanism for an increase in myofibril cross-section. In my opinion, the harder and more awkward an exercise is (by virtue of not practicing it constantly) and the more intensely one works at those exercises during this phase (4-6 weeks), the greater response of hypertrophy AND neuroprogramming. I very seriously believe that after that point, 95 percent of adaptation is through central nervous system means. This is the basis of my hypothesis.

2. Range of Motion. Another point I want to make, which I see almost endlessly at the gym, is regardng inappropriate range of motions. At least 80 percent of gym rats are not using a "good enough" range of motion. Squatting, shrugging, bench pressing, require a range of motion that maximizes muscle tension. This directly implies that locking out to the joints and pausing is something to be minimizes, and certain range of motions that eliminate tension (such as the bottom 30 degrees of a leg extension) should be eliminated entirely. This corresponds with my next point.

3. Tension time. I believe constant tension levels instigate the greatest adaptations of power, strength, sacroplasmic hypertrophy, and overall imposition to the body. A person who can row a heavy weight in good form with no lurching is going to consequently be very, very large. That is because constant tension levels, appropriate range of motion, and good form are not able to use natural "nervous system" cheats - like pumping the barbell up with the legs, shifting weight to increase leverage. It ensures that the muscle is performing the work. It also forces the body to more effectively increase fuel supplies in the working muscle cells (glycogen, creatine
phosphate, water). The exception I have for this is when performing negative (eccentric) muscle work, where sometimes a hitch can get a much heavier weight into a position and lowering the weight slowly. The friction in the muscles seems to create more actual muscle fiber damage (also a heavier weight can be used) which has been extremely affective for me if used in moderation.

4. Form. The previous two points come together to make up the most important directive in exercise. Using appropriate form (minus cheating when going to failure) prevents injury, imposes maximal tension levels, and keeps synergist muscles from taking over agonist muscle work.

These things taking into account, I have severely reduced my weight in order to relieve cheating, increase range of motion, perfect my form, and subject my muscles to constant levels of tension. I have taken nearly 3 months off and have been back in the gym for three weeks now. I expect my progress to be, literally, stunning.

Push: Chest, Shoulders, Tricep
Pull: Latissimus, Traps, Biceps
Legs: Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Calves
Flexibility: Myofascial release, static.
Aerobic: Interval training, Basketball

One day a week will be dedicated to moderate "core" training including back extensions, select swiss ball training, and basic situps with weight.

I will be changing exercises every 4-6 weeks as well as varying rep ranges. I will perform 4-5 exercises and 1-3 sets, shifting them weekly. All exercises will be done to failure or within a rep of failure. I will work out 3-4 days a week. My aerobic work will consist of basketball and interval training. My diet will consist of clean foods at a lower caloric intake than what I will expend.

To test my opinions on nutrition timing, I will be consuming 60 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbohydrates post workout. I expect to drop fat and gain muscle at a rapid pace. Let's see if I'm as smart as I am pretentious. :thumbs:

Oh, and input is completely welcome. Thanks!

This is going to be good. I'm looking forward to see you achieve your goals.
Good luck Duncan. :)

Thanks for the support :)

ACSM Health/Fitness Instructor I assume since the others require lots of clinical work......

How is that? I was thinking about getting that cert myself.

Still waiting for the stuff to come in the mail.

The ISSA certification is pretty silly. The info isn't THAT bad, although I think Hatfield is a turd, but the testing is open book and online. The essay/case study questions are pretty good, though, to be fair. But I finished it all before the course material came in the mail..

I will be following. So in your opinion is the ISSA one crap?

I will be following. So in your opinion is the ISSA one crap?

Not crap, no. But it is far too easy to pass the test. A competent, trustworthy person could very easily get beneficial information out of it.

Or a person who doesn't know shit could just reference everything in the book and have a personal training cert in about 8 hours.

I have heard that. I know a guy who knows absolutly nothing and is now a trainer. He said it was very simple! I would feel like I was cheating someone if I was their trainer and didnt have the proper information for it!

Yo Dunc! Good to see you!

ISSA is definitely the easiest to get! I'll tell you this about them too, if you ever go through them to get your cert, and you say, put it off for a month or so...get ready for a butt load of calls from them. They're pushy to say the least.

Anywho...good to see you Dunc

What kind of physiology are you learning?

IML Gear Cream!
Wow Dunc, you should come here....our trainers get approx. $40/hour

well, you definitely do talk the talk, let's see if you walk the walk as well:D

I always did look forward to reading your posts, you have such a wealth of knowledge about the subject, and present it in an easy to read and understand fashion, you know, a lack of all that fancy physiology stuff that only you physiology guys would know.

so good luck with the new routine, and don't be surprised if I steal some of your ideas in the future :thumb:

your deltoids are ridiculous.

thanks for the compliment. i appreciate it. i expect good results. i'll have my first workout post later today.

DD, what does a typical post workout meal look like for you? You emphasize that it's very important to focus on our post workout meals for optimal results so i'm just curious.

Brother DD, glad to have ya back!!! Best Wishes on the new routine!!! I always liked your posts, really thourough and intelligent, Good Stuff!!!

DD, what does a typical post workout meal look like for you? You emphasize that it's very important to focus on our post workout meals for optimal results so i'm just curious.

Post workout supplementation usually contains non-fat milke (12 ounces), 1-1.5 scoops of ON 100% Whey. I also have a dextrose based sugar drink (capri-sun, 8-10 ounces of pepsi) and a piece of fruit or cup of fruit drink that contains fructose. I also eat some crackers. My post workout meal is within 3 hours of the workout and consists of a large serving of meat, low GI carbohydrate, and salad.

Brother DD, glad to have ya back!!! Best Wishes on the new routine!!! I always liked your posts, really thourough and intelligent, Good Stuff!!!

Thanks man! Good to hear from you. Thanks for the encouraging words, it will be exciting to see how this new implementation works for me :)

This is the first heavy push workout I've had in 3 months.

Dumbell press: 95 x 10 (2 minutes), 100 x 5 (25 seconds), x 3 (8 second
negative final rep)

4 minutes

Incline press: 195 x 10 (2 minutes), 205 x 6 (25 seconds), x 2

6 minutes (lactic acid agitation)

Nautilus Shoulders (slow negatives): 185 x 7 (25 seconds), x 3 (8 second negatives)

6 minutes

Tricep pressdown: 130 x 7 (25 seconds), 140 x 3
superset 20 seconds
Dips x 4

The buildup of hydrogen ions was so bad that I had to take extreme breaks between exercises. It was so painful I was leaned over trying to dissipate the numb/burn. Great workout.

Diet today:

Great grains 1 serving with fat free milk.
Turkey & Ham sandwhich on wheat with mayo and cheese. Extra veggies.
8 Tacquitos with fritos. (salsa & fat free sour cream)
Mini bag M&Ms.
5 TGIF chicken wings.
Mini pizza & 2 breadsticks (i hour pre workout)
1.5 scoops whey & 10 ounces skim milk.
Capri sun.
Apple.

IML Gear Cream!
I got a pain just looking at your wo. Ouch. :)

Morning workout:
5 minutes warm up jog
45 second sprint uphill @ 20-25 degree angle
5 minute cooldown walk

When I write sprint, I mean "sprint". Not jog, or run. I mean focus on form and generating horsepower. This sprint lasts slightly more than 1/5 of a mile. At completion of this I collapse and wait until my muscles will cooperate to walk again.

Let me make a point to people who don't understand what intensity is - intensity is pushing yourself to an extreme measure, even if it is 11 sets instead of "one set to failure", as in my previous workout, in contrast to traditional HIT.

Long distance runners are not muscular and retain more bodyfat than other athlete types. Sprinters, on the other hand, are usually ripped and lean. Thus my style of training.

What's going on DD....Hope it goes well for you chief!!!

is there a specific program that you have written out for yourself or are you just changing variables in your workouts (sets, reps, tempo) each week depending on what you feel like focusing on?

I am varying the variables after 3 weeks; then 3 weeks I will change the exercise and or exercise order AND adjust the variables.

Right now I have designed a very specific program for the first section. I plan on hittin 125 pounds for 20 reps on DB press, for example. I try and isolate a personal best each session, whether it be strength, tension time, rep number (and so forth)

got it.

What's for breakfast Dunc? Mickey D's?

Boy what I would've given to have been able to stop by Mickey D's this morning!!

Alas, egg whites and a little bit of potato and onion work just fine!

Back