• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

squat help

95rtturbo

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What's up guys. I have been having a problem increasing strength on my squats. I am 5'9", ~165(25 years old), and I have been working out for about 6 years. It seems that ever since I have started working out seriously, I have not noticed a major change in my squat poundages. My heavy set is only 225lbs for 6 reps. My legs, however, are actually very strong. For example, on the Cybex 45 degree leg press at the gym, I can do 11 45 pound plates on each side, for a good 6 reps (going deep, all the way down to my chest, with no assistance from my arms or a spotter). I always impress people when I do leg press, but when I do squats, I embarass myself. I do legs basically once every 5-6 days, and I usually do 4 movements (not including calves). I quit doing squats on every workout because of the embarassment. When I do them, I usually do 5-6 sets, with 3 of them not being all out (muscular failure) sets. Does anyone have any suggestions?

As you have found out strength seen on the leg press does not carry over to the squat rack.

How is your technique on the squat rack? Legs shoulder width or slightly more? Do you break parallel?

How is your technique on the squat rack? Legs shoulder width or slightly more? Do you break parallel?

Yep, my legs are a little more than shoulder width apart, and I go down until the top of my thighs are parallel to the floor. Also, I squat down fairly slow and controlled, and, on my way up, I try to come up with as much power as possible.

I think that you should keep doing squats because it sounds like your leg's little muscles that stablize are weak. Try one leg squats on the smith mechine. This should be the only reason you should use the smith mechine unless you have an injury. Also anybody can do alot on the leg press but when you squat it is a total body workout. An added bonus is that when you squat your body releases GH helping you grow more muscle to lift more weight. I would think small legs would be more embarassing then small weight. It anybody gives you sh*t telling them to Fuk Off.

Thanks for the replies. I have yet to see someone leg press the weight that I accomplish, as strict as I do, at my weight(we have some pretty big guys at my gym, also). I'm sure there are plenty out there that can, just not that many. But then again, I see some 15 year olds, lifting for the first time, doing more than me on squats. I will try the single leg squat on the smith machine, it sounds like a great idea.

a question regarding your technique on the leg press. do you place your feet high on the platform and about shoulder width ?

Do you deadlift? Your legs sound strong so I'm wondering if its your Erector Spinae thats holding your squats back?

a question regarding your technique on the leg press. do you place your feet high on the platform and about shoulder width ?

Most of the time my feet are high on the platform, and slightly more than shoulder width apart, especially on my heavy sets. Sometimes, I will do leg press with my feet close together and low on the platform to get more of a burn in my quads.

Do you deadlift? Your legs sound strong so I'm wondering if its your Erector Spinae thats holding your squats back?

Not usually. But you bring up a very interesting point. My deadlifts aren't the strongest, either, but certainly better than my squats (max is around 350lbs).

If you're worried about strength in the squat:

-Take a very wide stance. I keep my feet at the edge of the power rack.

-Sit back, not down. Movement should be at the hips, not the knees.

-Keep a full breath and push against your abs.

-When coming out of the hole, move the bar, not your hips, first. This is related to keeping your core tight.

IML Gear Cream!
Wouldn't a wide stance just hit your glutes more? Squatters Ass, don't want it.

It will hit the glutes more. It will also make your squat number shoot up, if that's what he's concerned with.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a "big ass." Mine certainly hasn't suffered.

I've found squating involves alot of psychology. If you can keep your mind from thinking that you can't do it, you will amaze yourself. I've been using a mantaray and it has helped tremendously. Since the bar will all but sit there by itself, it allows me to concentrate on the movement and muscle contraction more.

Using the technique that you do on the leg press you are putting most of the emphasis on the hamstrings and not your quads.

You will find if you move your feet down low on the platform and close together your poundage???s used on the leg press will drop severely.

You will find if you move your feet down low on the platform and close together your poundage???s used on the leg press will drop severely.

I realize that. That is why I said that I place my feet low on the platform and close together on my lighter sets (when I want to get more of a burn in my quads).

you need to put your ego aside and perform the exercise correctly if you want to get the benefits that the leg press has to offer in terms of strength gains and hypertrophy for the quads.

Ahh, the wide legged leg press, called the "Duck Press", and yes targets the hams greatly as LAM said.

I agree with the whole notion that the mind plays a HUGE part on leg day. Keep a log of what you're doing each time your in the gym and try and increase your weight a little each week if possible. Small incremental gains will boost your confidence and get you to the higher poundage in no time.

you need to put your ego aside and perform the exercise correctly if you want to get the benefits that the leg press has to offer in terms of strength gains and hypertrophy for the quads.

:D lol, I have no ego. But seriously, like bigss75 said, the squat is a total body workout, of course, mostly lower body, and quad strength is only a small part of lifting heavy on squats. Just because I am placing my feet high on the platform on some(heavy) sets does not mean that I am doing the exercise incorrectly, like you say, I am targeting different muscle groups, namely the hamstrings and glutes. Am I wrong in my assumption that the lower back, hamstrings, and the glutes play a huge part of the strength on squats, most likely more than quads do? I definitely agree about the mental aspect in performing leg exercises. Thanks very much for the replies, and, if there are any more, please keep them coming. :thumb:

Back