• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Shoulders affecting pecs?

Skyliner

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Can someone tell me, to what extend does Dumbbell Shoulder Presses and Lateral Raises work on our Pecs? Most importantly, should I still train my shoulders nonetheless if my Pecs are still sore? I train Chest on Monday and Delts on Friday.

Overhead presses of any kind require the use of the pec minor (which is NOT the "upper chest") for stabilisation, but nothing that's gonna cause great hypertrophy.

Lateral raises focus most on the medial head of the deltoid, but i'm sure the pecs are used in some form or other in assistance, but again, nothing that will really cause much hypertrophy.

The best benefit you'll get for your chest from shoulder movements is the increased shoulder strength which can result in a bigger bench. Provididng you're not a total delt-bencher then this should result in better gains for your chest via increased benching weight.

As a generalisation, more weight moving = bigger muscles. Very generalised though! Just don't use it as an excuse to throw more weight on the bar when you're not ready to shift it in a controlled fashion with good form.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Overhead presses of any kind require the use of the pec minor (which is NOT the "upper chest")

Hahahaha, thought I'd get ya there TCD!! :)

I don't think you'll have any trouble doing chest monday and delts friday.

Shoulder exercises, especially lateral raises will also help train your rotator cuff to a certain extent, which will also help with your chest exercises, like TCD said. It will also make you less susceptible to injury when doing heavy chest exercises.

I will refrain from making any sort of comment about TCD's post as I REFUSE to argue with him about the pecs anymore, however, yes, you can still train the delts when the pecs are sore. Just make sure all overhead presses remain just that...overhead presses! I see some guys in the gym lean back so much during this exercise that they turn it into an incline press!

You may also wish to pre-exaust the delts with side and rear laterals before going to presses to better feel the delts without the interference of the chest. Or, if your chest is just crazy sore, you can forgo presses and just use all lateral movements and upright rows to work your delts.

Finally, you can train chest and delts on the same day like I do right now...

Finally, you can train chest and delts on the same day like I do right now...

I was wondering, if you train your chest and delts on the same day (assuming that you hit chest first and shoulders second) do you even bother doing any overhead press? If so don't you find it difficult to lift heavy on the overhead presses?

I've tried the same day thing and it's horrible, IMO :no:

No sttrength left for a good delt routine...

But I do hit chest on Mon and delts on Tues and it's been a great thing, so call me fuqqin' insane :D

IML Gear Cream!
I'm not going to argue either...LOL

But let's not overlook the clavicular head of the pectoralis major either

The only reason I asked was because I am thinking of changing my split around for some variety. Over the years I have tried a lot of different splits (chest alone, chest w/bi's, chest w/tri's etc.). But I have never done chest with delts. I saw that gopro does it and I was wondering about doing overhead presses after hitting chest. Just curious DP, what training split are you currently using?

Chest and shoulders are highly integrated muscles - I'd try to work them the same day that way you avoid overtraining. A good rule of thumb to follow is to do all your "push" muscles one day; all your "pull" muscles the next; and leave your legs all to the last day. I feel this is the best way to workout because it avoids overtraining.

Askjoemuscle

Originally posted by askjoe
Chest and shoulders are highly integrated muscles - I'd try to work them the same day that way you avoid overtraining. A good rule of thumb to follow is to do all your "push" muscles one day; all your "pull" muscles the next; and leave your legs all to the last day. I feel this is the best way to workout because it avoids overtraining.

Ditto :thumb:

Originally posted by P-funk
I was wondering, if you train your chest and delts on the same day (assuming that you hit chest first and shoulders second) do you even bother doing any overhead press? If so don't you find it difficult to lift heavy on the overhead presses?

Most of the time I DO hit chest and delts on the same day. I do not even bother with overhead presses and just concentrate on the medial and posterior heads. I utilize lateral of various types and upright rows. I feel tha the anterior head is hit so hard with chest exercises, that it rarely needs any more attention. Sine I started doing this there has been a marked level of improvement in both the size and shape of my delts.

Most of the time I DO hit chest and delts on the same day. I do not even bother with overhead presses and just concentrate on the medial and posterior heads. I utilize lateral of various types and upright rows. I feel tha the anterior head is hit so hard with chest exercises, that it rarely needs any more attention. Sine I started doing this there has been a marked level of improvement in both the size and shape of my delts

Thanks GP. I was waiting for you to chime in on this one.:)

Originally posted by P-funk
Thanks GP. I was waiting for you to chime in on this one.:)

:thumb:

Back