• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

No whining

nadirmg

hardr bettr fastr strongr
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Oh man, here we go.

Stats:
26 years old
5???6???
138lbs
Target bf % 10% <--- Oh, geeez help me???.

My goals are to put on more muscle (how much, I don???t know). Once I get a tape measure I???ll set that goal.
Develop more strength (how much, I don???t know). I???ll know where I stand once I use this journal to start tracking my progress.
BF% target ??? Need to get calipers or scale ??? I???m leaning towards calipers.

To get an idea of what I???m going for check out picture ______. This is me three years ago but I had no idea what I was doing diet-wise. I just knew I wanted to be slim and have defined and not big muscles. No breakfast, just a salad for lunch and nothing until dinner which was always brown rice and some kind of sauted veggies or soup. I got the results that I was looking for but I was ALWAYS friggin??? hungry and it sucked ass.

About 3 months ago I started reading up on eating 6 meals a day, centering it around getting protein, and making sure I???m getting enough calories. It makes sends when I read it but when I look at the picture of me 3 years ago I wonder if I can get anything like that (plus muscles this time around).

So I got all excited, started eating 6 meals a day, even doing whey protein, which 6 months ago I would have thought was ridiculous. Anyway I began to see a dramatic change in how much I was able to lift. Stuff I was never able to lift with my puny muscles ??? I could lift.

Than I got overzealous and screwed my shoulder up. It???s been 2 months since then. It was a huge blow to the momentum I???d built up and I was reduced to doing legs a couple times a week. Utter misery and hell.

Now I???m easing back into arms, adding in stuff like chest press, incline press, bicep curls and stuff ??? still staying away from the stuff that puts all the weight on my left shoulder.

I hope this journal keeps me going and helps me be committed because sometimes I really feel like giving up waiting for my damn shoulder to heal because I can???t lift the way I want to lift.
I plan (keyword there) to be merciless in evaluating for myself. Hopefully anyone that reads my journal will be merciless in giving me good advice/critiques.

Baaaah! Anyway, here we go.

11.05.07 Meals

Meal 1
1/4c oatmeal
1/2 cut up apple
1 whole egg + 2 egg whites
1tbs ground flax
1 multivitamin
3 fish oil pills

Meal 2
1/2 sweet potato
1 scoop of whey
2 egg whites

Meal 3
1 cup of lettuce
1 cup of homemade chili (lean ground turkey and kidney beans)
1/2 of brocoli and cauliflower
3 fish oil pills

Meal 4
1/4 almonds
1/4 mix berries
1/4 peanuts

Meal 5
1/4c oatmeal
1tbs ground flax

PWO snack
1 scoop of whey
1 cup of FF yogurt

Meal 6
1 c WW pasta
1 can of tuna
1 cup of salad (cucumber, green bell pepper, tomato, LF feta cheese, olive oil and balsamic vinegar)
1/2 PB sandwich
1 orange
3 fish oil pills

Last edited:
How did you fuck your shoulder up?

No protein in meal 4? That's wierd. That's more like a snack than a meal.

How many grams of protein are you taking in? Doesn't look like much.

I'd ditch the starchy carbs after meal 4. you don't need a cup full of pasta before bed! Have a casein shake instead (long lasting protein - perfect for sleep).

Sups? Multi-vit?

How did you fuck your shoulder up?

I was doing seated military 35lb DB presses.
in the 3rd set of 12 reps my left shoulder failed on count 10, and then i had 35lbs pulling my arm down in a very unnatural way that was accompanied by all kinds of popping and tearing noises.
i thought i had dislocated it or maybe had torn my rotator cuff but the doc it wasn't the latter and to lay off the weights for a while...

getting damn sick of not being able to do pull-ups and shoulder stuff.:grumble:

No protein in meal 4? That's wierd. That's more like a snack than a meal.

How many grams of protein are you taking in? Doesn't look like much.

I'd ditch the starchy carbs after meal 4. you don't need a cup full of pasta before bed! Have a casein shake instead (long lasting protein - perfect for sleep).

Sups? Multi-vit?

Big G, thanks for the advice, and pardon my ignorance. I'm still new at all this :rolleyes:
Doesn't the protein in the almonds and peanuts count?
My protein yesterday was 174g.
I thought carbs after the workout is a good time to eat them? Maybe pasta is a bad choice, but any suggestions?
I've thought about casein... sometimes I'll do CC right before bed, which has casein in it.

And I forgot about my supps. 3 fish oil pills after major meals and a multivitamin with breakfast - will adjust above meal plan.

Hey - thought I'd stop in and check this out! What type of workout plan do you have?

Hey - thought I'd stop in and check this out! What type of workout plan do you have?

how's it goin' katt?

now, this is how i'd LIKE to be lifting but because of my stupid left shoulder, a lot of the back and most of the shoulder exercises i'm unable to do.

I used do low weight with 4 sets of 20 reps on every exercise. i'm in the process of moving towards a workout that will up my muscle mass though.

for example instead of doing:
bench press at 100
4x20
i'm going for more something like this:
bench press at 130
4x12

once my body gets used to the increased weight i'll start doing staggered weights/reps, like:
130x10
135x8
140x6
and increase weight/decrease reps as necessary.

Chest Days:
Bench press
Incline dumbbell press
decline dumbbell press
dumbbell flys
push-ups w/swiss ball

Back Days:
Pull ups
Lat pull-down
Standing barbell rows
Seated t-bar rows
Dead lifts!
Back extensions

Leg Days:
Seated hamstring curls
Seated quad press
Ass-to-the-ground squats
Seated calf raises
Pistol Squats w/dumbbells

Shoulder Days
Military Dumbbell press (which is how I jacked up my arm)
Behind the head barbell press
Rope pull to face on cable machine
Shrugs
Dips
Dumbbell raises (side and front)
And whenever my shoulder gets itself sorted out i'll be looking for a good exercise that works my anterior deltoid. any ideas?

Abs (everyday)
Crunches w/swiss ball
Planks
Leg raises on dip thingy (left, center and right side)

Arms:
Most of the exercises i do are compound lifts, so i'm not focusing on arms too much... except for bicep curls.

i'm still filling in the holes and replacing exercises with better ones i find. totally open to suggestions.

I totally agree Big, I would drop the pasta too. I would drop the pasta all together after lunch to be honest with you. But here I sit working for a dietitian and I'm just now getting my fat butt on the ball too.....so who am I?

Don't mistake your nuts for protein either. Those are fats (with protein) and not that much to be honest with you. One ounce of salted, dry roasted peanuts only has 6.71g protein, but has 165 calories and 14g of fat.
One ounce of whole almonds is no better at: 169 calories, 5.87g. protein and 14.2g of fat.

I totally agree Big, I would drop the pasta too. I would drop the pasta all together after lunch to be honest with you. But here I sit working for a dietitian and I'm just now getting my fat butt on the ball too.....so who am I?
Errm, then how about brown rice with dinner? That's certainly not as starchy as pasta. Or perhaps a sweet potato or some kind of squash?

Don't mistake your nuts for protein either. Those are fats (with protein) and not that much to be honest with you. One ounce of salted, dry roasted peanuts only has 6.71g protein, but has 165 calories and 14g of fat.
One ounce of whole almonds is no better at: 169 calories, 5.87g. protein and 14.2g of fat.

So then I guess I can have the nuts as long as i don't make 'em the 'source' of my protein for that meal, right? nuts + something else that's a major protein source and i'll be ok, right?

yah, i still have a long way to go figuring out my diet. Looking at fitday really shows where the fats are coming in and where i'm missing protein. i guess i just need to bite the bullet and start spending more money on tuna/chicken/eggs.
i could always pull a Big G and eat 11 egg whites for breakfast.... holy crap i'd explode.

good luck with your journal and your journey.
nothing sucks more that having an injury that prohibits you from doing the things that you really want to do. just give it time, keep going to the gym and passing time doing the little things, next thing you know it will all come back together agian.

IML Gear Cream!
11.06.07 Meals

Meal 1
1/4c oatmeal
1 multivitamin
3 fish oil pills

Meal 2
1/2 sweet potato
1 scoop of whey

Meal 3
1 big-ass turkey sandwich (8 slices of of turkey, 2 slices of mozz
cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard and LF mayo) - need to get FF mayo...
1/2 of brocoli and cauliflower
3 fish oil pills

Meal 4
1/4 almonds
1/4 mix berries

Meal 5
1 scoop of whey

Meal 6
1 chicken breast
1 can of spinach
1 cup of brown rice
3 fish oil pills

Treat
4oz of bourbon - hey, now, eeeeevery now and then is ok!!

yes and yes on both of those.....veggies (especially sw. potatoes and green veggies) are you friend!

hey, why no pics?

good luck with your journal and your journey.
nothing sucks more that having an injury that prohibits you from doing the things that you really want to do. just give it time, keep going to the gym and passing time doing the little things, next thing you know it will all come back together agian.

man, i hope so. actually i was working up to a little bit of shoulder stuff on monday but was a little to aggressive. now my shoulder's been hurting again...WHY did i have to get excited and push myself too far.... :headbang:

Doesn't the protein in the almonds and peanuts count?

NO!!

Protein is comprised of numerous "amino acids", most of which your body can actually make for you. The remaining 9 amino acids are considered Essential Amino Acids and you must get them from food.

The protein in Almonds and Peanuts is considered an "incomplete protein" becuase the protein molecules contain an insignificant amount of one or more of the Essential Amino Acids.

Your body can not repair your muscles if it is deprived of any one of these essential amino acids. Imagine building a house, but not including 1 out of every nine bricks! Disaster!

For protein, stick to meat, fish, eggs, whey, casein - i.e. animal sources.

You could mix rice and beans for example (which are both incomplete proteins) because rice has the essential amino acids that beans lack, and vice versa (i.e. together they make a complete protein) but, honestly, I'd stick to animal sources if I were you.

ONE OTHER THING...

Almonds and peanuts are both high in Omega 6 oils. Your body needs this kind of oil, but it needs Omega 3 oils with it to be able to utilize it.

I put some peanut butter in my bedtime shake and to utilize the oil I add some walnuts (high in Omega 3s). For breakfast I spread peanut butter on my toast and, again, to utilize it, I have some Fish Oil capsules (again, high in Omega 3 oils).

Make sense?

NO!!

Protein is comprised of numerous "amino acids", most of which your body can actually make for you. The remaining 9 amino acids are considered Essential Amino Acids and you must get them from food.

The protein in Almonds and Peanuts is considered an "incomplete protein" becuase the protein molecules contain an insignificant amount of one or more of the Essential Amino Acids.

Your body can not repair your muscles if it is deprived of any one of these essential amino acids. Imagine building a house, but not including 1 out of every nine bricks! Disaster!

For protein, stick to meat, fish, eggs, whey, casein - i.e. animal sources.

You could mix rice and beans for example (which are both incomplete proteins) because rice has the essential amino acids that beans lack, and vice versa (i.e. together they make a complete protein) but, honestly, I'd stick to animal sources if I were you.

ONE OTHER THING...

Almonds and peanuts are both high in Omega 6 oils. Your body needs this kind of oil, but it needs Omega 3 oils with it to be able to utilize it.

I put some peanut butter in my bedtime shake and to utilize the oil I add some walnuts (high in Omega 3s). For breakfast I spread peanut butter on my toast and, again, to utilize it, I have some Fish Oil capsules (again, high in Omega 3 oils).

Make sense?

That is the most clear explanation I've gotten on animal proteins vs. non-animal proteins. THANK YOU!!

I'm taking 3 fish oil capsules after every major meal, so maybe i'll make sure when i have nuts to have them with the fish pills as opposed to a snack 2-3 hours after i take the fish oil. aah, that makes soo much more sense.

question: what about cheese/yogurt/CC? are these indirectly animal proteins? or should i always have some animal proteisn WITH the dairy. i don't do dairy too often maybe once every other day. no i take that back, usually i'll have a slice of cheese on my sandwich or a string cheese as part of my snack.

looks like i need to consider casein...
btw, Big, seriously 11 egg whites for breakfast everyday??? :eek:

Re: Workout plans...

Ditch the decline dumbbell press... This targets your lower chest which will cause a breast-like chest development. Your lower chest gets involved with flat bench-pressing anyway, so you don't need to hit it any more.

Ditch the dumbbell flys.. they just don't do shit for building mass. Use cable Xover if you want to target the center of your chest.

Check exrx.net for anterior detoid exercises although, again, avoid isolation exercises. I believe that your anterior gets blasted anyway doing military presses. It certainly gets hit doing a bench press. A lot of the bigger guys don't do shit for shoulders because they're hit so hard bench pressing anyway.

If you must do some "curls for girls" do them at the end of your workout. Don't wear your arms out at the start of your workout. you'll need 'em.

PS. If you've still got energy for curls at the end of your workout, you're not working hard enough! Strap weights to yourself next time you do chins. Do 40 or 50 reps, no matter how many sets you need to do to get 'em done. You won't feel like doing curls after that lot (and your lats will grow like freakin' wings!) :thumb:

Re: Workout plans...

Ditch the decline dumbbell press... This targets your lower chest which will cause a breast-like chest development. Your lower chest gets involved with flat bench-pressing anyway, so you don't need to hit it any more.

breast-like chest development??! :gosh: boobs are great, just not if they're mine :D

Ditch the dumbbell flys.. they just don't do shit for building mass. Use cable Xover if you want to target the center of your chest.

If you must do some "curls for girls" do them at the end of your workout. Don't wear your arms out at the start of your workout. you'll need 'em.

PS. If you've still got energy for curls at the end of your workout, you're not working hard enough! Strap weights to yourself next time you do chins. Do 40 or 50 reps, no matter how many sets you need to do to get 'em done. You won't feel like doing curls after that lot (and your lats will grow like freakin' wings!) :thumb:

unfortunately pull ups seem like a long way off until my shoulder can support all that weight hanging on it... i've already overdone it once since the injury and i gotta make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for all the advice Big!

That is the most clear explanation I've gotten on animal proteins vs. non-animal proteins. THANK YOU!! You're welcome.

I'm taking 3 fish oil capsules after every major meal, I personally think that's too many. Take 'em with your vitamins (A, D and K are oil soluble, so you need oil with your multi-vit) and take them with snacks high in Omega 6 oils - peanuts, almonds etc. (e.g. so maybe i'll make sure when i have nuts to have them with the fish pills as opposed to a snack 2-3 hours after i take the fish oil. aah, that makes soo much more sense. Remember though that your body is able to process Omega 3 oils without the presence of Omega 6 oils, so if you snack on some Walnuts, or have a little bite of salmon, you don't need to supplement Omega 6 oils with it.

question: what about cheese/yogurt/CC? are these indirectly animal proteins? Cheese is just saturated fat. I don't eat any of it. I prefer to get my saturated fats from a good lean steak. If you do eat cheese don't eat much of it! Yogurt has protein in it, but I wouldn't use it as a protein source because it's very very high in sugar (lactose = sugar) which will spike your insulin, increase your cortisol levels and not help one bit in losing fat! Fat free yogurt helps in maintaining your digetive tract, but you honestly only need a tablespoon every few days to do that. Yogurt is basically just sugar. I'll put a tablespoon in a shake a couple of times a week, that's about it. CC (presumably Cottage Cheese) is just disgusting. I buy it sometimes with the best intentions of eating it but I rarely do. It just sits in the fridge until it dies. It may be high in sugar too. you'd have to check the label. My guess is that it is - It's dairy afterall, and dairy is loaded with lactose. or should i always have some animal proteisn WITH the dairy. i don't do dairy too often maybe once every other day. no i take that back, usually i'll have a slice of cheese on my sandwich or a string cheese as part of my snack.

looks like i need to consider casein... Definitely. Every night before bed. You should be sleeping 8hours (to enable Growth Hormone release) and that means you're not eating for 8 hours and are therefor going into a catabolic state due to protein deprivation. Casein stays in your system for around 7 hours versus 2-3 with whey. i.e. Casein will stop your muscles breaking down before you wake up.

btw, Big, seriously 11 egg whites for breakfast everyday??? :eek: Yup. Actually it's 12. I include the yolk with the 12th and record it as a whole egg rather than an egg white. :grin:

My advice to you is this...

Using a blank day in Fitday.com (i.e. a day with no data in it) make yourself some ideal meals. Let's say, for example, that you want toast and egg for breakfast. Let's also say that your cutting so you're on a 2,000cal diet. You want to eat every 2½-3hrs so you're going to eat six meals. I recommend tapering your calories (high cal early in the day, low cal before bed - you don't need lots of carbs late in the day - that means no rice, sweetpotatoes, bread, yams, corn... after about 4pm). Anyway... I digress....

Enter a slice of bread(Find "Ezekiel 4:9" bread BTW - unique combination of sprouted whole grains makes a complete protein:thumb:). Enter an egg white. Enter an egg. You now have a 170cal meal. Obviously this is too small and it doesn't include any fruit/veg. Add an apple. You now have 244cal but your meal only has 14g of protein. That sucks! You want at least 1g of protein per 1lb of you, so let's say that's 30g per meal. Add 3 more eggs. Now your protein is up to 33g but your fat has just gone through the roof! 21g of fat :eek: You can't have that. Delete the 3eggs you just added and add 6 whites instead. You now have 35g protein and your meal is still only 343cal. Some fish oil capsules along with your vitamins will bump that up to around 375g.And ¼cup fat free milk in your coffee will add another 20cal. Now you're looking at a 395cal meal with 35g protein, 9g fat and 40g carbs. the calories are 22%fat, 37%carbs and 41% protein i.e. Damned near perfect.

Congratulations you just made breakfast!

Now... print that out, put it in a ringbinder (in the "Ideal Cutting Breakfasts" section), delete everything from fitday and go on to make meals 2-6. Remember to make each meal slightly smaller than the last (e.g. meal 1=400cal, meal 2=375cal, meal 3=350cal etc...). That way you won't be carbed up just before bed and you'll actually be burning fat for energy while you sleep! You can't beat waking up leaner than when you went to bed! :thumbs:

11whites, 1whole egg, 2pc bread w/PB, coffee, fish oil caps, and several pieces of fruit is around 700 cal. Daily intake is 3,500-4,000cal for me, so 700cal is just over 1/6th of daily intake. I also make sure that I get 2g of protein per 1lb of me (no danger to kidneys with 1gal daily water intake) and a dozen eggs fits the bill quite nicely.

Lift big
Eat big
Rest big
BE BIG!!

IML Gear Cream!
Additionally... since you're obviously reviewing my food log...

Note that my meal 6 is just a casein shake with a few fresh strawberries and cranberries in it (i.e. very low carb - a far cry from my high carb breakfast). I use casein and whey so I get the quick-hitting power of whey with the long-lasting effects of the casein. Plus I use heavy cream and water instead of milk to avoid the lactose (sugar, remember?). You're actually better to have a tablespoon of heavy cream in your coffee in the morning rather than fat free milk. It sounds crazy I know, but your body can process fats. It's the carbs that'll getcha. Don;t be afraid of fats. Have a salad with salmon, olive oil, avocado and walnuts as meal 5 if you want. It's loaded with fat, but it's very low carb. Eating fat won't make you fat. Good fats rock! :rocker: And they taste Mmm-Mmm-Good!!

FYI... My meal 5 is always enormous (love to come home and stuff myself on the couch) but it's only ever grean veg and meat, fish or egg.

Look up the "Thermic Effect of Food". You'll see how the body has to generate a lot of heat (i.e. burn a lot of calories) trying to get the calories out of leafy green veg. Hence you can eat a lot of them (even in calorie terms) but oly get a limited amount of calories from them (after having burned so may calories just trying to get the nutrients out).

breast-like chest development??! boobs are great, just not if they're mine

Agreed! Most guys (correction... "most guys who actually know what the fuck they're doing") will do incline first because the upper chest is very stubborn and is hard to grow. Then flat presses. And no decline at all. I'm doing flat first then incline at the moment, but only because I've been doing incline first then flat for the past 3 months. Gotta keep changing it up to keep getting growth.

Keep your eyes peeled. You'll see, even in magazines, guys with breast-like chests. it looks just awful and it's really hard to correct since you keep hitting your lower chest more no matter what you try to do.

Additionally... since you're obviously reviewing my food log...yea, haha i'm always running out of ideas for stuff to eat and it helps me be creative to see what other people are eating

Note that my meal 6 is just a casein shake with a few fresh strawberries and cranberries in it (i.e. very low carb - a far cry from my high carb breakfast). I use casein and whey so I get the quick-hitting power of whey with the long-lasting effects of the casein. Any ideas for a good (inexpensive) casein powder?Plus I use heavy cream and water instead of milk to avoid the lactose (sugar, remember?). You're actually better to have a tablespoon of heavy cream in your coffee in the morning rather than fat free milk. It sounds crazy I know, but your body can process fats. It's the carbs that'll getcha. Don;t be afraid of fats. Have a salad with salmon, olive oil, avocado and walnuts as meal 5 if you want. It's loaded with fat, but it's very low carb. Eating fat won't make you fat. Good fats rock! :rocker: And they taste Mmm-Mmm-Good!!Hmm, one of my goals is to keep my fat consumption below 30% everyday. I'll have to think about all this. Plus my shoulder really limits what I can and can't do at the gym. I wonder if this will get in the way of me burning fat?
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
FYI... My meal 5 is always enormous (love to come home and stuff myself on the couch) but it's only ever grean veg and meat, fish or egg.

Hahaha, yea just came back from the grocery with 2 1/2 dozen eggs and some Ezekiel bread :thumb:

11.07.07 - Meals

Meal 1
1/4c oatmeal
1 whole egg + 1 egg whites ...ran out of eggs today...
1 multivitamin
3 fish oil pills

Meal 2
1/2 sweet potato
1 scoop of whey
1/4c almonds

Meal 3
1c WW pasta
1 can tuna
1 cup of greek salad (green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, olive oil, LF feta cheese)

Meal 4
2 egg whites (hard-boiled)
1 string cheese
1/4 mix berries

PWO snack
1 apple

PWO snack
2 scoops of whey
1/2c strawberries
1/2 FF yogurt

Meal 5
4oz. chicken breast
1/2c black beans
7oz. sweet potato
3 fish oil pills

Meal 6
1 slice of bread
1 tbsp PB
1/2c CC

11.07.07 - Work out

Legs and some back

Squat press
270x10
270x10
270x10
270x10
i think because of the way the machine is made there's NO WAY i was actually squatting that much weight.

Squats with BB on shoulders - what do you call that?
105x10
115x10
115x10
115x10

Deadlifts
110x10
110x10
110x10
110x10
110x10

Back Extensions
bwx20
bwx20
bwx20
bwx20

Pistol Squats
bw+40lbs 3x10

Planks
3 1-minutes planks

Swiss ball crunches
3x20
3x20
3x20

Leg raises
3x20
3x20
3x20

today was a good day. only my second day doing deadlifts and i'm still concentrating on getting the form right before i really start upping the weight. i'm gonna feel that tomorrow.
the regular squats killed me. still can do more weight, but like deadlifts i'm working on form, going ALL the way down.. none of those little half squats you see the pretenders doing...
pistol squats totally kicked my ass today. pistolios.. at the end?! of my workout. ugh. my legs were already shot and i was ready to collapse.

you know how.. well guys do at least... you have to relax your quads when you're at the urinal taking a leak? well when i did that at the gym bathroom right after my WO i almost fell backwards. nearly a very awkward situation. there i'd be laying on my back holding my junk, "help me....i can't get up.."

Last edited:
Squats with BB on shoulders - what do you call that? Just "Squats", no?

Deadlifts
110lb:5x10 - shoulder limitations here?

Pistol Squats
bw+40lbs 3x10 - I just googled these. Never knew what they were. Have never done 'em. Do you go ass-to-the-grass with 'em? I can't imagine doing that after I'm done doing squats and deadlifts. Phew! Sounds like torture. I'll have to try. I wonder if I could get up without any extra weight! :stuck: :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadirmg View Post
Squats with BB on shoulders - what do you call that? Just "Squats", no?

Deadlifts
110lb:5x10 - shoulder limitations here?

Pistol Squats
bw+40lbs 3x10 - I just googled these. Never knew what they were. Have never done 'em. Do you go ass-to-the-grass with 'em? I can't imagine doing that after I'm done doing squats and deadlifts. Phew! Sounds like torture. I'll have to try. I wonder if I could get up without any extra weight!

Some shoulder limitations do come into play here. But this was only my 2nd time doing deadlifts. Probably next time around I'll start upping the weight.

Pistol squats are single leg squats. Rest one leg on a bench behind you (for balance) and put all weight on the leg you're standing on. Some weight will unavoidably go to the leg resting on the bench so that's where the 20lb dumbbells in each hand come in. This really works the hamstrings. Yea, I go as low as I possibly can. And yea, after all those squats and deadlifts I was dying. :thumb:

But this was only my 2nd time doing deadlifts.:

Watch your back, Dude. Push your stomach & chest out so that your back arches inwards. Keep that bend in it all the time. NEVER pick the bar up or put it diown with a rounded back. I got to 325lb recently but apparently a nearby trainer thought my back was rounded as I put it down. I had no idea. Dangerous!

Sumo Deadlifts are apparently better for keeping you back in the right position. Sumos are just like RDLs (Regular Deadlifts) but your feet are further apart and you grab the bar from between your feet, rather than on the outside.

Be careful! Ask someone experienced at the gym to watch you.

Did you get an MRI for your shoulder? What kind of doctor diagnosed your injury?

Back